phileet92

Getting Onto Tower To Shoot, How? Permit?

Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:33 pm

how do photographers get onto the tower to snap a few shots. is it like official where they apply for a specific time and background checks or just a quick security scan and a press pass or permit to help open the golden doors? if so how do i get a press pass?

[Edited 2008-01-21 15:42:14]

Moose135

RE: Getting Onto Tower To Shoot, How? Permit?

Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:44 pm

I suspect most work in those towers - I know someone in such a situation at a major airport. I doubt many towers will allow "civilians" in anymore. I think JFK used to have a program where you could get tower tours, but I don't think that's been done in years.

I have taken shots from the old tower at FRG, but that's part of the American Airpower Museum now, no longer in use as an active ATC tower, and I've developed a relationship with the museum.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John Musolino

[Edited 2008-01-21 15:47:51]
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

hangarrat

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:47 am

I was looking at the old tower at PHL today and wondering what it would take to get up there.

It's probably worth a picture itself. Pure 1950s.
Spell check is a false dog

INNflight

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:58 am

All about who you know nowadays....you'll have a hard time trying to get up, even with press credentials. Especially if it's some no-name company or supersmall paper.

Maybe try at some smallish airports before.
Jet Visuals

eadster

Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:47 am

I don't work there but I have a good friend that does, so it pays to be in the know:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Martin Eadie

Quoting INNflight (Reply 3):

You'll have just as hard of a time there as the bigger ones if Aus is anything to go by.

Quoting Phileet92 (Thread starter):
if so how do i get a press pass?

Once again, here in AUS a press pass will do no good, as they haven't obtained a security clearance.

michlis

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:51 pm

Quoting INNflight (Reply 3):

Depending on who is managing the airport, you may or may not even get through the front gate with a camera. I had an encounter at a non-controlled airport where they (the management company) were very hesitant to allow me to photograph aircraft on the ramp, except for those owned by the management company. A lot of small airports (and private strips) are part of the AOPA airport watch program and unless you have the "in" with someone there you probably have a difficult time getting access.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.