witticism

How Do You Get Photo (camera Settings) Info?

Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:39 am

G'day All,

I was just wondering if there is anyway to acquire the camera settings (ISO, Aperture, Focal length, shutter speed) etc from a photo on the DB?

Some photographers are helpful and list the settings in the info / label with their photos but most don't.

As a new and aspiring photographer, it would really help to know what settings are used for certain pics to help get a 'feel' for base settings. (Especially night shots) ... by studying what has worked in the past I can approach a shooting situation with a more informed guesstimate of the settings I require - and lessen the time for trial and error  Wink

[And yes ... I know that lighting conditions are variable and aperture is dependent on these and local situations]

What would be awesome is if there were drop down menus for camera settings when you upload a pic ... menus could include Camera Type, Settings (Auto, Manual, Sport, etc), ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, Focal length etc.

Thanks
Cheers
Sean
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

CalgaryBill

RE: How Do You Get Photo (camera Settings) Info?

Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:58 am

It's called EXIF data and the question about whether to include or exclude it has been argued to death on the forums. As it stands now, that information is stripped out of the image upon upload even if the photographer doesn't strip it out him/herself.

You've probably opened a can of worms...

B

witticism

RE: How Do You Get Photo (camera Settings) Info?

Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:29 am

Thank for the help Bill.

Quoting CalgaryBill (Reply 1):
You've probably opened a can of worms...

Excellent!  Wink Let the fun begin.
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein