mat1979

How Much Would You Ask For That Pic?

Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:07 am

Hi  Smile

I received an email by a company asking me if they could use one of my pic on their website.

Here's the company's website : http://www.skybirdaviation.com

Here's my pic :
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Matthieu labatut

The aircraft is theirs.

Any idea of what i should ask? (freeride anyone  Wink )

FYODOR

RE: How Much Would You Ask For That Pic?

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:32 am

Not so many, mate. As I understand they do not plan to use it as title picture. It is always difficult issue as far as you don't know the policy of your counterparty. And it depends on size of the picture they are looking for. Last time at the similar case I sold a picture for 100$ but it was hi-res big size photo. If they just looking for the picture as it is published - it could be cheaper. Besides their conditions are very important - exclusive or non-exclusive rights, right to give your photo for the third party, period of time of the agreement, etc.

Regards,

Fyodor

mat1979

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:51 pm

Thanks Fyodor for your input.

Their email request was just to use it on their website which is being redesigned. Nothing else was mentionned but maybe they looked at it as a general waiver given to them to use the picture as it pleases them. It looked like they wanted it for free (jusk asking for my authorisation to use it).

The fact is there aren't many pictures of that bird in the database so i don't think they have too much opportunities (it is their bird). Plus it was taken at Bora Bora so that might add some value as a marketing tool for them.

I asked them for some more info on their desired usage.

Anyway, any more opinions fellow photographers on what i should ask them?

INNflight

Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:41 pm

If they get back to you with more usage info, post them here, I'm sure that way you can get more feedback..

Just flicked through some pages. Their Gulf 550 goes for 7950 USD an hour. They should well be able to pay for a photo 

Lovely pic by the way!
Florian

edit: spelling

[Edited 2008-03-11 12:41:58]
Jet Visuals

mat1979

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:11 pm

Thanks  Smile

Their reply concerning usage of the picture :

Quote:
We would just be replacing a current photo on the website with this one.

Given the fact that their website basically has only one picture, they might want to use it on the homepage.
Mat

BR715-A1-30

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:15 am

I agree, they should well be able to pay for the photo. However, if they wanted to be true asses about it, they could say "Give us the rights, or we will make you take the photo down from any other website." I have heard about that happening before.

As said above, I would find out what all of their intents are for the photo. If it is just for use on their website, I would charge a very nominal fee, and make sure they give me credit for the photo, but if they want to publish it on reports, hang it on the wall at HQ, and distribute copies of it, they should be able to pay accordingly.
Puhdiddle

Granite

Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Hey Matt

Can I have some commission for helping you with the image  Smile

Regards

Gary