HAL
Topic Author

Once Again, Prescreening

Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:18 am

I just put these two into the queue, but want your advice too. Thanks for any help you can give.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/IMG_1091HA.jpg
and
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/IMG_1116HA.jpg

Thanks

David
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

Jetfreak

RE: Once Again, Prescreening

Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:24 pm

i like both of them, but the 2nd picture could get some kind of colour or contrast rejection because you can´t see the fan blades (because of clipping).
Regards, Jetfreak

othic

Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:29 pm

two dust spots over the gate on the righthand side and slightly soft
A boy learn's much more at the airport then he do at school

HAL
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:50 pm

Quoting Jetfreak (Reply 1):
but the 2nd picture could get some kind of colour or contrast rejection because you can´t see the fan blades (because of clipping).

How do you adjust for this? In the harsh tropical light of Hawaii, it's always been difficult for me to get much of anything showing in the shadows (like fan blades) because the rest of the photo is so highly lit. Is there a way to bring up the dark parts without adding an unacceptable amount of grain?

David
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

SNATH

Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:39 pm

On the second one, I would use a 4:3 ratio, instead of the 3:2 you are using, and try to get rid of the truck on the left.

I really like the first one, though. Nice shot!

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

Jetfreak

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:37 am

Quoting HAL (Reply 3):
Is there a way to bring up the dark parts without adding an unacceptable amount of grain?

If the pictures (or only some areas) are taken too dark, so that some areas are clipping, it can be very difficult to correct. I´ve tried to select only the fan blades (with the magic wand tool) and then lightened the selection. It helped. Try it and it will look much better  Smile

Regards, Jetfreak

eadster

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:41 am

I like em both, but I think the reflection and the fact that you can't see the screens in the cockpit shot, may bring trouble, however I could be wrong.

The other I like too. The dark bits mentioned will cause a dark rejection nowadays. I found that out the hard way.

HAL
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:40 pm

Quoting Eadster (Reply 6):
I like em both, but I think the reflection and the fact that you can't see the screens in the cockpit shot, may bring trouble, however I could be wrong.

From what I've tried in the cockpit (with a huge number of various attempts at different settings), I don't think you can get a good picture with the EICAS screens visible on a sunny day unless the outside view is completely washed out. There's just too much difference in light levels. Evening and morning works better.

HAL

Scotland1979
Crew

Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:34 am

Cockpit - what is the white line on right side edge? Was it CCW that shown edge? Try to crop more to avoid white edge on right side
Jesus said "I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me" - John 14:6

HAL
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:20 am

Quoting Scotland1979 (Reply 8):
Cockpit - what is the white line on right side edge? Was it CCW that shown edge? Try to crop more to avoid white edge on right side

D@mn, yes it is a rotation problem. I really thought I'd taken care of that too. I can't believe I missed it. Time to delete and re-work both of them.

David

HAL
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:49 am

OK, I deleted the old ones, after re-editing the originals. Here are the new results:
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/IMG_1091HA1.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/IMG_1116HA1.jpg
I know you can't see the old uploads to compare the changes (since I had to delete them), but do these look adequate?

David