wilco737

Unbelievable Behaviour

Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:21 pm

Hello everybody,

I need to vent something here which p***** me off...

There is another website I am part of. It's a photography website (non- aviation) related. You can upload pictures there, rate them, leave comments etc etc.
Today I found a picture of airliners.net which has been amazingly changed. Basically just the titles so that the airline is no longer visible. He changed the titles to his username instead. And called it "My 747, internation commercial".
I commented the picture and wrote: well done, but do you have the permission of the photographer from a.net where I know this picture is from?
Now, an hour later, I see this picture is deleted from this other website and he put me on IGNORE! He claims to be a professional photographer with publishing books and in newspaper and magazines.
Isn't his behaviour unaccaptable? He is NOT obersving any copyrights! And I bet he hates it if somebody is using his pictures and editing them like that.

Here is the original picture:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Philip Eichhorn

I informed the photographer of this picture about it, but he cannot look at it anymore because it got deleted from this other website...

What do you think about such behavior?

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

JeffM

RE: Unbelievable Behaviour

Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:37 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Thread starter):
What do you think about such behavior?

It will continue to happen until we are allowed to put a permanent watermark on our images. I would be willing to bet the ignorant slob would not have used the image had it had a prominent watermark.

wilco737

Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:45 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 1):
It will continue to happen until we are allowed to put a permanent watermark on our images. I would be willing to bet the ignorant slob would not have used the image had it had a prominent watermark.

I guess you are right. But with a watermark even we members here cannot really enjoy the pictures 100%. I use some of the a.net pictures as wallpaper on my desktop and it wouldn't looke the same with watermark...
But you are right, I guess. We will continue to see that. But it is annoying and his behaviour is childish... and he pretends to be a pro  Yeah sure

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

whisperjet
Crew

Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi,

of course it's not right to use other people's pictures in that way but I think that is something we uploaders have to live with. I know that there are dozens of private and commercial websites (eg virtual airlines) which use pictures from airliner.net.

Not long ago I got a bunch of postcard-like pictures from Aeroflot, on some there was even the copyright-bar partly visible.KTHY also uses pictures from a.net in their emails and doubt they have ever asked the photographers.

I think I have seen the edited 747 on fotocommunity.de. Was a really stupid edit.

Stefan
Nobody is perfect - not even a perfect fool.

wilco737

Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:50 pm

Quoting Whisperjet (Reply 3):
I think I have seen the edited 747 on fotocommunity.de. Was a really stupid edit.

So I see you know what website I was talking about  Wink
The 744 looked weird and the original picture is so great.

The behaviour just p***** me off. Just removed his pic and put me on ignore. Some people just cannot admit that they made a mistake.
I think 2 other pictures of him are "stolen" as well, but I cannot prove it...  Sad

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

vaporlock

Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:52 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 2):
But it is annoying and his behaviour is childish... and he pretends to be a pro

Phil, I agree but as a few have stated there will always be SOB's that think they can do anything.....his behaviour is childish and whether or not he is a "pro" his behaviour sure doesn't reflect that.

Vaps  bouncy 

paulinbna

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:10 pm

If you see something again like that make you sure you take a screen shot, then you can show that screen shot in here.
Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

wilco737

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:11 pm

Quoting Paulinbna (Reply 6):
If you see something again like that make you sure you take a screen shot, then you can show that screen shot in here.

Oh I will for sure. But I wasn't that smart at that moment Big grin I never expected him to delete it right away and put me on ignore...
I contacted the photographer of the original picture to let him know about it. But won't help now...

But next time: screenshot!!!

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

wilco737

Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:19 pm

Good news guys: He is guilty!

I found another pic which he took and pretended it to be his picture. An AF on approach to KaiTak. He removed the reg and cloned another building in, so that it seems to be different. But it can be seen easily...
The plot thickens Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

topgun3

Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:23 pm

I know it sort of ruins the picture, but I put the AIRLINERS watermark on all my uploads to discourage picture thieves from using my work without asking first.

Keep up the good work of flushing out these SOBs.
I'd rather be flying.

wilco737

Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:26 pm

Quoting TopGun3 (Reply 9):
Keep up the good work of flushing out these SOBs.

Will do Big grin I informed the owner of the other website and they told me: they will take care of it Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

ZakHH

Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:31 pm

Sounds like a guy who should stand in the pillory. Why don't you publish his fotocommunity.de account name here? I'll gladly volunteer to send him nice account comments...  devil 
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

wilco737

Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:32 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 11):
Why don't you publish his fotocommunity.de account name here? I'll gladly volunteer to send him nice account comments... devil

Nah, I won't do that. Maybe you'll find out his name on your own  Wink But the officials there are informed, so it's only a matter of time until this pic will be gone...

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

JeffM

Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:08 pm

Quoting TopGun3 (Reply 9):
I know it sort of ruins the picture, but I put the AIRLINERS watermark on all my uploads to discourage picture thieves from using my work without asking first.

For $5 I can have every picture in the database without a watermark....  sarcastic 

TransIsland

Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:22 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 1):

In this case, the watermark issue is irrelevant. The photographer chose to upload without a watermark.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

JeffM

Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:38 am

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 14):
In this case, the watermark issue is irrelevant. The photographer chose to upload without a watermark.

and a poor choice at that. If we had the option to have permanent watermarks regardless of membership status, many of us would regardless of weather people choose not to look at watermarked images or not.

TransIsland

Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:32 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 15):
and a poor choice at that. If we had the option to have permanent watermarks regardless of membership status, many of us would regardless of weather people choose not to look at watermarked images or not.

Jeff, I'm with you on that one. However, it would appear that there are still people out there who upload without (the "limited") watermark... This fellow was one of them.

I guess we all learn the hard way. I started watermarking after I picked up the local newspaper one day just to find my photo in there. Don't get me wrong, I knew they stole from a.net, but usually from foreigners, not from local photographers (and especially not from ones who used to work for that particular paper) who can simply walk into their office and yell at the managing editor until they walk out again with a cheque in their hands. I guess some copy editor was asleep that day.

But it's always the same thing, when our paper carries an aviation story, there's usually a stolen a.net pic in there from some poor, unsuspecting bloke who uploads without a watermark. Once I notify them of the newspaper article, miraculously, their next photos all have big fat watermarks. (Oh, and Bahamasair does it, too, for their inflight magazine.)
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

eadster

Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:34 am

I agree with Jeff. If people refuse to use the watermark feature, then they only have themselves to blame.

So basically its the original persons behaviour that causing the issue.

ZakHH

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:28 am

Quoting Eadster (Reply 17):
I agree with Jeff. If people refuse to use the watermark feature, then they only have themselves to blame.

So basically its the original persons behaviour that causing the issue.

Sorry, but that probably goes one step too far. The blame still is first and foremost with the person who is wrongfully copying and altering the image, only to display it as his own work.

It is okay to point out that the photographers can actively prevent it by adding a watermark to the picture, and I would agree that everyone should consider to do it. But the absence of a watermark is by no means a justification for image theft.

wilco737

Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:17 pm

banghead 

And he did it again! This time with a picture of the A380 cockpit:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Airbu...dustrie/Airbus-A380-841/0982129/L/

Man, I am mad at this guy. But the website now has to do something about it! This is just getting worse and worse...

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

JeffM

Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:59 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 18):
But the absence of a watermark is by no means a justification for image theft.

Leaving the door to your car unlocked doesn't make it right to steal your car either.......just a lot easier.

ZakHH

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:48 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 19):

I think I got him now. He is a PHOTOGRAPHER from BERLIN, right?

Quoting JeffM (Reply 20):
Leaving the door to your car unlocked doesn't make it right to steal your car either.......just a lot easier.

That is certainly correct.

wilco737

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:59 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 21):
I think I got him now. He is a PHOTOGRAPHER from BERLIN, right?

Yes he is... But don't start a war against him or I won't have a quiet minute in this community anymore because he will start a war against me for sure.... I have informed the officials again and they will take care of it....

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

ZakHH

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 22):
But don't start a war against him

Too late. Big grin

But I have sent a message to the site management as well. This needs to be dealt with.

wilco737

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:09 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 23):
Too late. Big grin

I hope you haven't mentioned my name. Otherwise I can start to delete my pictures and look for a new username.

But i hope he'll get in trouble for sure. What a nerd.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

ZakHH

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:22 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 24):
I hope you haven't mentioned my name.

Of course not. And my comment stayed within "suitable-for-work" limits as well. Big grin

But seriously, what kind of problem does that guy have? He is claiming to be a professional, though his photos hardly support that. What is driving such people?

wilco737

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:27 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 25):
Of course not. And my comment stayed within "suitable-for-work" limits as well. Big grin

thumbsup  Good  Wink

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 25):

But seriously, what kind of problem does that guy have? He is claiming to be a professional, though his photos hardly support that. What is driving such people?

I don't have a clue. he is just a nerd... And he had double as many pictures online, but it looks he deleted some of them. Or the officials deleted them because they found out how many pictures he faked.
I think there are still 2 or 3 other pictures he took illegelly... But I cannot find the original to prove anything...

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

ZakHH

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:38 pm

I just TinEyed his complete collection, as I also think that a few more could be stolen. However, I found no results.

Well, why not asking for help here? Are these familiar to anybody?

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/pcat/381656/display/9821286
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/pcat/381656/display/9891254

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/pcat/381656/display/11996721
Which he uploaded again (with just some rotation applied) as:
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/pcat/381656/display/12115837

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/pcat/381656/display/12022201
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/pcat/381656/display/12026666

And especially this one, which looks bloody familiar to me:
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/1000960/display/12949858

ZakHH

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:33 pm

Apparently, his stolen A380 cockpit shot was taken care of. However, I wonder how much more fotocommunity is willing to accept before they ban that idiot.

I forgot one more in my above collection - flight deck of a 747:
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/pcat/381656/display/12026666

I would be more than surprised to find that being a work of his own.

wilco737

Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:55 pm

Looks like most of his Aviation pics got removed or he deleted them...

And I hope he'll never do this again. But the wilc737 Police will have an eye on him Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

ZakHH

Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:53 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 29):
Looks like most of his Aviation pics got removed or he deleted them...

And I hope he'll never do this again. But the wilc737 Police will have an eye on him

Indeed, all suspicious photos are gone  highfive 
The remaining shots look bad enough qualitywise, so they are probably indeed his own. Big grin

I will keep an eye on him as well - a TinEye, to be precise. Good service for finding picture duplicates on the web. Still beta, though. http://www.tineye.com/

eadster

Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:29 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 18):
But the absence of a watermark is by no means a justification for image theft.

Ok so I go out, leave my doors to the house open and unlocked. I come home and ieverything is gone. So now its the thief's fault that took all my belongings?? To me its an open invitation as uploading non-watermarked shots.

Get real mate. If you aren't protecting YOUR images from the beginning, then people are going to continue to steal them and do what they want. The choice is there for the watermark, USE IT.

If not, continue to see images used wrongfully.

[Edited 2008-07-09 13:30:02]

ZakHH

Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:56 pm

Quoting Eadster (Reply 31):
So now its the thief's fault that took all my belongings??

Of course, it is! Come on! According to your logic, one should only pay for that stuff in the supermarket that carries these little alarm thingies for theft protection, and steal the rest, as it is not protected anyway?

And if I pay $5 for FC here, it is okay for you if I steal your pictures and sell them as my own? If not, then why do you upload here at all?

Look, I fully support any protective measures. Front doors should be locked, as should cars, and images should be watermarked. Fine.

But if somebody steals something, then it's first and foremost the thief's fault. Only the second look could go to the person thas was stolen from, to check what he could do to make it a bit more difficult to thieves.

lovetojetblue

Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:24 pm

could ya post the link
Jetblue: The official airline of Springfield! And Eventually: The official airline of Quahog, RI