Chukcha
Topic Author

Category Question - Gyrocopters

Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:28 pm

This question is addressed mostly to the screeners... Under which category are the gyrocopters should be uploaded? I've always uploaded them under "Helicopters" before (I believe I've read somewhere that that's where they belong), but just recently in the email to one of my accepted gyro photo's I found a screener's comment, "Not a helicopter"; apparently, according to that screener, they should be uploaded as single-engine props.

So, the question is - was the screener right? Where can I find information about it?

Cheers,
Andrei

SlamClick

RE: Category Question - Gyrocopters

Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:06 pm

Perhaps the "helicopters" category should be renamed "rotorcraft" as a gyrocopter certainly is not an airplane.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

viv

Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:05 pm

A gyrocopter - or an autogiro to give it its proper name - is not a helicopter, because the rotor is not turned by the engine. The engine turns the prop, which pushes the aircraft forwards. The forward motion turns the rotor, which is in fact a rotating wing.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

SlamClick

Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:38 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 2):
A gyrocopter - or an autogiro to give it its proper name - is not a helicopter

No argument there, but it is not an airplane either and there seems to be no acceptable category.

I suggested "rotorcraft" which describes helicopters, gyrocopters, and hybrids like the V-22 Osprey.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Chukcha
Topic Author

Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:00 am

Vivion, I actually do know how the gyrocopter flies. My question here is about a pure A.net technicality, as there is no "gyrocopter" nor "rotorcraft" category on the upload page. I just would like a clarification on the matter, something put in writing here, preferrably by one of the headscreeners or database editors, that a photographer could refer to if, for instance, he/she got a wrong rejection.

The "rotorcraft" category suggestion seems reasonable, but it always takes ages before any changes of this kind get implemented (if at all approved).

Cheers,
Andrei

dendrobatid

Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:47 am

Andrei
It was me who left you the personal and discussions are taking place with Editors at the moment.
Will get back to you as opinions are a little divided (as are a lot that are on the database)

Mick Bajcar

Chukcha
Topic Author

Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks, Mick.

As I've written before, the "rotorcraft" category suggestion seems most reasonable; otherwise it would be nice to have a separate one for "autogiro".

Cheers,
Andrei