dimoko

Spotting At Paine Field (PAE)

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:30 pm

I am going to be in the Seattle area this week, and i am planning to go back to the Boeing factory tour. There is a great spotting deck that overlooks paine field. I checked it out on flight aware, and it only lists some small private activity, do you know if boeing is required to submit flight plans for test flights and delivery flights? i am trying to plan it to see a heavy or two if i'm lucky.

thanks for the help in advance!

dave
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams

visityyj

RE: Spotting At Paine Field (PAE)

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:17 pm

Yes, the flights are filed under BOExxx although the timings are subject to change up to the last minute. They often aren't filed (outbound) until just before departure.

dlednicer
Crew

Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:42 pm

Here is a sampling of what you will see at PAE: http://www.microvoltradio.com/kpae.htm

mattcawby

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:08 pm

Have you got a picture of that Everts DC-6 at the south ramp Dave? N51599, stripped of paint and out in the open. *RARE*
Skyline Photography

dlednicer
Crew

Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:56 am

Quoting Dlednicer (Reply 2):
Have you got a picture of that Everts DC-6 at the south ramp Dave? N51599, stripped of paint and out in the open. *RARE*

As soon as the sun comes out again, I'll get up there and get it!

I couldn't get a clear shot of Everts DC-6 N747CE when she was getting worked on down on the south ramp, so I worked her into another shot:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Lednicer

Its the same way I snuck the one-off KC-767 (33840/923), built for the abortive USAF tanker lease program, into the database:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Lednicer

airplanenut

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:18 am

Quoting Visityyj (Reply 1):
Yes, the flights are filed under BOExxx although the timings are subject to change up to the last minute. They often aren't filed (outbound) until just before departure.

Not only that, but the times are very often wrong. I work across the street and track Flight Aware... very, very rarely are test flights out when scheduled. To see them, the best thing to do is have a radio or a good view of the ramp.

The other callsign to look for is EIAXXX. Any EIA that is a 744 is an LCF. On most days, you'll get one landing or takeoff, but at a random time.

Enjoy the tour... it's a fun place to be.

Also, if you're going to be in Seattle proper, Boeing Field has some cool traffic. In addition to 737 test flights, the two 777Fs are currently there, and between 4-7pm, you'll get a lot of the cargo heavies, such as UPS MD11/767/757, DHL 767, and a DC-8 for a carrier whose name I always forget.

Jeremy
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...