jakbar

Spotting At YVR On Saturday 8/30

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:53 am

Hi all - after spending a few incredible days spotting at ANC this past week, I'll be leaving tomorrow for a cruise to Vancouver. After we arrive in Vancouver, I plan on spending all day Saturday, August 30th at YVR, and was hoping that one or more of the locals might be around. Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like to get together that day. I hope to see you out there!

Josh

dlowwa

RE: Spotting At YVR On Saturday 8/30

Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:50 pm

It will all depend on the weather you know... not even the end of August yet, and this weekend has been (literally and figuratively) a wash. I'm hoping the next few weekends will be better, as I want a couple more chances at F9 before they leave for the winter (and maybe for good).

If the weather is good, I'll be out there for sure... where is/are your preferred spotting locations?

gmonney

Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:54 pm

Hey Josh,

One word AVIS, its the place to go for most of the day, too bad Richard Austen is in YYZ now flying for Georgian... otherwise he is always up for a visitor

Take care,

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

jakbar

Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:24 am

I'll definitely be out at Avis, as that is my favorite YVR spotting location. Since I'm travelling on vacation, I don't have a ladder with me -- is that going to be a problem there? Last time I was at Avis I was lucky enough to borrow a ladder from one of the locals, so I'm not sure whether I would have been able to get decent pics without a ladder.

Provided the weather is good, I'm planning to get an early start on Saturday morning. I'll probably rent a car and just head over there on my own, but would love to meet up with whoever will be out there. Dlowwa: please feel free to give me a call on my cell if you can't find me (917-660-7871).

Josh

P.S. - Grant: I heard Rich was flying for Georgian in YYZ....thats really cool! Treat him well...  Smile

gmonney

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:25 pm

Hey Josh,

Ya i we have been out a bit, he is settling in nicely down town, I live north of the city in barrie, and with my 13month old keeping me busy its hard to keep up with a disco cat like richard. He is doing great and loves the aircraft,

When Kaz and I were in YVR many moons ago, we just stood on the bumper of the trailblazer he rented.. try to get something you can stand on the bumper of... gives you the clearance you need... hope that helps!

Just another note, when Greg and I were in LAS, we stood on the roof of a pick up truck we rented, the thing we do to get some good photo's..!!!!

Have fun,

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

dlowwa

Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:45 am

Ha ha ha... I was actually going to say that I usually just stand on the roof of my car when I'm at Avis. It beats lugging a ladder around, and I actually get more clearance over the fence than anything short of a six-foot ladder. Mind you I don't know how many shots I've gotten of the pilot staring directly at me when they're taxiing by... I'm sure I must be quite an interesting sight...

Anyway, Josh. Saturday's weather is looking like it might actually be decent. If you really want a ladder, I'm sure I can get a hold of one for you, although it might actually be the afore-mentioned six-footer. Is that ok? Or where you hoping for a little step ladder? I might be track one of those down, but I'm not sure. Let me know. Oh, and if the weather is good, I'll probably be out there only for a few hours in the morning- 0900-1130ish, when most of the heavies come in, and before the light gets too harsh. Let me know what you're doing.

Dana

jakbar

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:41 pm

Dana -

I'm planning to get to the Avis location pretty early, probably around 8am. If the weather stays nice, I'll stay out most of the day. I have rented a truck for tomorrow, and can probably stand on the roof. If you wouldn't mind, could you also bring that ladder you referred to? At least then we'd have something else to use while you're there.

I look forward to meeting you tomorrow.

Josh

dlowwa

Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:46 pm

Yep... looks like it'll be at least somewhat clear tomorrow. I'll probably head down around 10-ish, but to be honest, I only go to Avis when the wind is from the east. When it's from the west, I usually shoot from the Templeton St. spot (just personal preference... you can get a lot closer to the flightpath and I like the blue sky background, although the planes are higher...). So... if it's from the west, which suspect it will be, I'll head to Templeton first, and stop by Avis later, maybe around 11.

If you've got a truck, do you still need a ladder? Like I said, at Avis I just use my roof. I won't bring one, but I only live about 10 minutes away, so if you decide you really need one, I can run and get it for you (yes that nice of a guy).

Anyway, see you tomorrow.

jakbar

Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:38 pm

Dana - it was great meeting you on Saturday at YVR. Thanks so much for your help as well. I had a great time, and I think I got some fantastic shots. I look forward to next time.

Take care.

Josh

dlowwa

Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:21 pm

No problem Josh, I hope you got some good shots, and I'll look forward to seeing them uploaded. Good thing you were fortunate with the weather, who knows how many dreary overcast days (like today) we're going to be in for for the next few months...

And next time I'm the vicinity of Sky Harbor (it'd be good to get down to Mesa/Scottsdale again... it's been about a decade since I've visited), I'll see if you're around!

Dana