whappeh

Are Some Photos Impossaible To Appear Level?

Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:26 pm

Such as photos with too many lines or verticals? I've had this one photo, that I've done everything I possibly know how to do in photoshop to get it "level" and no matter what I do, from leveling by eye, to using the Measurement tool, to just leaving it normal, gets it a "level" rejection. I'm starting to think there is no possible way to get it level.

After its 8th level rejection, this is what I have come up with now: rotated 2.99 CCW. It appears level, but I got a rejection at 3.0 CCW on this photo before. Also, I'd use the "PreScreen" thread, but after posting this image twice in the old one and having people say LOOKS GREAT! and getting the rejections, I tossed it in as part of the question posed above...

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6678/nx1204fa08big9fe1.jpg
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

JakTrax

RE: Are Some Photos Impossaible To Appear Level?

Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:39 pm

A touch of CCW I'd say - the hangar on the right is leaning slightly in that direction (to be expected due to lens distortion) but the hangar just to the right of the tail also seems to lean in the same direction. I think if you got both vertical it'd be level, or if anything have the right-hand one lean slightly to the right and the left-hand one slightly to the left by an equal degree.

Karl

whappeh

Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:43 pm

I'm 99% sure the hanger in the background isn't level to the same ground I am on. Its near a lake and is a good distance away, between where I am standing is a grass runway, and a marshy swamp land that the other hanger is built over. Like I said, I've for sure had a 3.0CCW photo rejected for level...

Quick edit: I gave it up to 3.3 and it looks good, I think I'll requeue it, but the original point of this thread was a more general question: Is it impossible to get some photos to look level? We always use arbitrary verticals that may or may not be vertical in person to the plane of ground we are standing on.

[Edited 2008-09-01 09:48:11]
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

photopilot

Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:50 pm

Ok, have a look at this. When an image gets rejected so many times for "level" it's time to go into the bag of tricks and think differently.

I rotated this slightly CCW to bring the verticals into line. But it still looked somewhat off. So then I went and used the SKEW command to lower the left side of the image a bit further. The skew command allows you to adjust the horizontals without affecting the vertical axis. I'm not sure if the "rules" allow this, but visually it works. Then crop slightly to take out the white corners from the rotate.

Hope this helps.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Misc_Photos/test-1.jpg

viv

Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:57 pm

Needs a little more CCW rotation.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

JakTrax

Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:06 pm

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 2):
We always use arbitrary verticals that may or may not be vertical in person to the plane of ground we are standing on

Believe me, been through this argument many times in this forum and haven't manage to convince anyone. If the verticals are level, you can consider the image level (in A.net terms anyway).

Karl