ake0404ar

Damn....I Am Shocked!

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:13 pm

Maybe I am a bit spoiled with the average of plus 6000 hits / picture.

Lately something has gone severely wrong:

321 and counting for the latest addition (after roughly 24hrs).....not the most spectacular shot, but still......

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vasco Garcia (VDG-Images)
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

4 of the latest uploads accumulated a total of 3582 views! Unbelievable low number, if you ask me.

Maybe it's time to do something else?????

V.

timdegroot

RE: Damn....I Am Shocked!

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:36 pm

Quoting AKE0404AR (Thread starter):
Maybe it's time to do something else?????

You only do this for the hits? Wink

have to say I would not see any of these pictures do thousands of hits except maybe the last one which is different, then again you never know. I've uploaded stuff I thought would do well and it got 1000 hits. I've uploaded a few I thought would not ammount to much and they've did 20K.

There's no denying hits are lower than what they once were but things are still slowly improving. Up until a few weeks ago it was much worse.

Part of the fix will be a full db rewrite that will ensure a stable site (many hits are now lost due to missing links, photos not appearing etc), the other part will be slowly getting a portion of the visitors back who once left here. There are exciting new things coming to make that happen.

Just hang in there, I am positive we will get back on track and beyond in the very near future.

Tim
Alderman Exit

whappeh

Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:40 pm

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 1):
Just hang in there, I am positive we will get back on track and beyond in the very near future.

I agree with you, but you guys have been saying that for over a year now with little to no progress. Still, I don't do it for the hits, and I don't think most people do...
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:53 pm

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 2):
I agree with you, but you guys have been saying that for over a year now with little to no progress.

In the past year, we have had promises of exciting new changes for the benefit of the site and community, but when changes have been made, the community has felt let down and in most cases angered to some degree. Let's hope what Tim is refering to will in fact be positive.

You only do this for the hits?

For me, hits do play a role. It takes a considerable amount of effort to not only get photos accepted, but to become an established contributor to the database. After getting over the personal gratification of such accomplishments, knowing that my photos are being seen by others is definitely a plus.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ThierryD
Crew

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:04 pm

Hey Vasco,

I think there's nothing to worry about. Some photos score big, some don't. All in all I too do believe that the views are not quite back where they were but that's something that's pretty difficult to influence anyway. I'm sure that with your quality work you'll score big again in no time!  Smile

I agree with you, but you guys have been saying that for over a year now with little to no progress.

That I simply can't agree with; the site has improved a lot over the last months both optically and functionally. Also the views are far better than still a few months ago and they surely will improve further.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

IL76

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:10 pm

Hits skyrocket as soon as your picture is in the 5 pictures on top of the homepage (by the 100's instead of single digit increments). Other than that it goes very slow.

I also noticed that as your photo is climbing the top-of-the-day section, sometimes it's simply not there. You're on page 10 at some point, suddenly your photo is nowhere to be found and then 5 minutes later you pop up again (on page 9, if you're lucky  Smile ).

EZEIZA

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 4):
That I simply can't agree with; the site has improved a lot over the last months both optically and functionally. Also the views are far better than still a few months ago and they surely will improve further.

No doubt that things are much, much better, but I think that when exciting new things were announced to be added to a.net, those things were less than exciting and a lot of damage was done. After a lot of concern by many members a real effort could be seen by the crew to get things back on track. I think some people might be worried at what those exciting new things might be this time  Wink
(however I don't think DM will make the same mistakes again, so as far as I'm concerned I think everything will be ok)

regards  Smile
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

timdegroot

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:16 pm

let me tell you there are Exciting! (for lack of a better term) changes coming. Stability and scaleability are first though and that has taken much longer than expected, it happens.

I'm not in the position to give timeframes but sooner rather than later you should see some things starting to appear.

Tim
Alderman Exit

NIKV69

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:37 pm

and I don't think most people do...

You would be surprised.

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 3):
For me, hits do play a role. It takes a considerable amount of effort to not only get photos accepted, but to become an established contributor to the database. After getting over the personal gratification of such accomplishments, knowing that my photos are being seen by others is definitely a plus

Well said Ryan.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

walter2222

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:51 pm

4 of the latest uploads accumulated a total of 3582 views! Unbelievable low number, if you ask me.

Look at it from another viewpoint: there is still a huge potential, a huge amount of people that have not yet clicked on your photos!  Smile ... and looking at it this way, it doesn't matter whether your shot has 1K hits or 20K hits, the potential of non-clickers remains roughly the same!

Seriously now, getting huge number of hits is always nice!

Quoting IL76 (Reply 5):
Hits skyrocket as soon as your picture is in the 5 pictures on top of the homepage

checkmark  That's very true, and in most cases it depends on the "competition" whether the shot gets there or not... Your shots may be good, but when there are a couple of shots from new c/s, or from recent accidents, then the top 5 is difficult to reach!

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 4):
the site has improved a lot over the last months both optically and functionally

Indeed, and also the uploaded shots and the discussions have improved!

Best regards,

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

KarlADrage

Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:06 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 5):
also noticed that as your photo is climbing the top-of-the-day section, sometimes it's simply not there. You're on page 10 at some point, suddenly your photo is nowhere to be found and then 5 minutes later you pop up again (on page 9, if you're lucky

I see this a lot too. It's as if every section of the site (even pages within the same section) is looking at different snapshots of the database, all taken at slightly different times.
Cheers,

Kereru

Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi Vasco,

I am surprised at your comment as I thought in recent weeks my total hits had improved quite a bit and most of my shots are of GA aircraft. I have just clicked over a modest 4 Million and didn't expect that till nearer Christmas. They do seem to start off quite low and then pick up after a few days and as others have said the ones I think will do well don't and the others that look less appealing excel. Hopefully the site is over the major hurdles and will start to improve in the next few months. I am no expert in IT but have had my fair share of experience in industry and found it usually (not always) takes twice as long as expected to remedy any hiccups along the way back to a smooth running system. We can only look forward to a brighter more rewarding future. Keep up the good work Vasco I for one enjoy your contributions and I am sure many others do too.

Cheers,

Colin  old 
Good things take Time.

AdamWright

Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:15 pm

Damn, I can't believe a photographer is coming in here bitching about not getting enough hits..

There isn't a rule that says you're gonna get a sh*t-ton of hits. Suck it up and be a man about it.

-Adam

EZEIZA

Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:07 am

Quoting AdamWright (Reply 12):
Damn, I can't believe a photographer is coming in here bitching about not getting enough hits..

That was a HUGE reason of complaints by many members when the problems started a few months ago. If he is used to having many more hits, IMO its ok to ask if something is wrong. Maybe posting his own pictures is not ideal, but the question is valid.

just my 2c  Smile

NIKV69

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:27 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 13):
IMO its ok to ask if something is wrong. Maybe posting his own pictures is not ideal, but the question is valid.

Little belated though, this has been old news and has been discussed. Tim made a good point it has been improving.

goboeing

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:31 am

There isn't a rule that says you're gonna get a sh*t-ton of hits. Suck it up and be a man about it.

Yeah really.

Vasco -

To use myself as an example I only clicked on one of the four photos you linked because I was simply not interested in the other three.

Everyone has different aviation interests -- to me, one picture is of a plane I've seen enough pictures of from lots of angles, another looks like the area in the jogging scene from Space Odyssey 2001, and the other has a lot of old men's bald heads with a Russian plane I think is ugly.

So you see, it is not your skills as a photographer that deterred me, but rather I was simply not interested in the subjects.

That pan shot is great. I like it a lot.

EZEIZA

Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:23 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 14):
Little belated though, this has been old news and has been discussed. Tim made a good point it has been improving

I agree, but on the other hand that's what a forum is for, to ask questions  Smile

jetmatt777
Crew

Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:06 am

Quoting GoBoeing (Reply 15):
To use myself as an example I only clicked on one of the four photos you linked because I was simply not interested in the other three.

Funny you should say that, I only clicked on one also.

The photos are great, but in all of the photos on A.net that I ever see, in small form (thumbnail), I only click on about 5%, just because most of the time what I see in the thumbnail is enough of a view for me. Clicking larger is unnecessary because I already can see what I want, and those 5% there is something that I cannot see clearly in the thumbnail, or am curious as to the subject. I have photos that I thought would be big hitters that did nothing, and average photos that would pull 1-2k views. It's impossible to predict views, or even guesstimate what views you may get, just because of current events, and even an artistic photo may get a low hit count because the subject doesn't appeal to many viewers, there is a multitude of reasons. Vasco, be happy your photos are getting accepted  Smile Lately, the only people seeing my photos are the screeners, then they don't go any further than that.  Wink

You have some serious talent Vasco, I have trouble keeping my 75-300 steady on panning shots at 1/75, can't imagine a 600 at 1/25, don't let the unpredictable view counts cloud your mind.

-Matt
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

maiznblu_757

Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:23 am

Chop a whole nose and tail section off and call it an artistic photo, people will click on it, if for nothing at all, sheer amazement it was accepted in the first place.   

[Edited 2008-09-25 21:25:43]

JeffM

Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:41 am

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 18):
Chop a whole nose and tail section off and call it an artistic photo, people will click on it, if for nothing at all, sheer amazement it was accepted in the first place.

....don't forget to put it off center and OOF....  Smile

EZEIZA

Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 am

Chop a whole nose and tail section off and call it an artistic photo, people will click on it, if for nothing at all, sheer amazement it was accepted in the first place

Quoting JeffM (Reply 19):
....don't forget to put it off center and OOF....

rotfl   rotfl 

Granite

Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:14 am

Blimey

Quoting GoBoeing (Reply 15):
Vasco -

Everyone has different aviation interests -- to me, one picture is of a plane I've seen enough pictures of from lots of angles, another looks like the area in the jogging scene from Space Odyssey 2001, and the other has a lot of old men's bald heads with a Russian plane I think is ugly.

So you see, it is not your skills as a photographer that deterred me, but rather I was simply not interested in the subjects.

That pan shot is great. I like it a lot.

Apart from some words I actually was going to post this last night..............have you hacked into my account  Smile

Let's just enjoy taking photographs and showing them to everyone rather than getting hung up on hits!

Regards

Gary

sulman

Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:11 am

I looked at the pan shot, it's a cracker. The others didn't really do anything for me. It's easy to fall into the trap of believing that your hard work = interesting for others. You may have maxed your contacts and networking to get access, stretched your gear, optics and beat the conditions to nail the shot, but unfortunately it doesn't mean anyone wants to look at the result.

Don't worry about it, just keep on trucking.

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

Psych

Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:19 am

Hi Vasco.

No doubt the view counters don't look like they used to in the old days. I accept that things are looking up compared to the dark days a few months ago - if a photo is atypical in a notable way it is likely to attract attention or if you are lucky (for one of a multitude of reasons) and your shot makes it to the front page, then the hits still come.

For someone like me, who has limited opportunities for novel motives and, I guess, produces the kind of photos that many will have seen from me before, then the reason for clicking to open them up gets less and less, as described by colleagues above. I recently had few photos accepted with a close up motive that I particularly like. In the old days these shots always attracted four figure views, but now I get only a few hundred. But I still like the motive, so I offer them up to the screeners.

My attitude to hits has changed somewhat - if people don't choose to open up my fantastic images then that is their loss  biggrin . Joking aside - like acceptance ratios - hits should not necessarily be seen as any indication of a photo's (or its photographer's) quality/competence. I would like to see less emphasis on statistics like these on the site.

All the best.

Paul

ake0404ar

Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:39 am

Do I care about hits? Not necessarily, do I care about exposure? Yes I do care, so for some reason it goes hand in hand.

Back in the old days, it was all about aviation. No hit counters etc......no Top of whatever. The game has changed, so has the attitude......

Thanks Adam for your comment. Much appreciated!

Hits, clicks or whatever you want to call it, are at an all time low (for me at least). Just looking for the root cause.

V.

timdegroot

Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:51 am

I've found initial hits are lower than what they were a few months ago but they add up more quickly afterwards. I'm suprised to see many older stuff gaining so much hits, that didnt happen as fast in the past.

Anyway vasco just keep uploading, hits will only improve because of it and you'll probably get a #1 soon anyway Wink

Tim
Alderman Exit

NIKV69

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:02 pm

Chop a whole nose and tail section off and call it an artistic photo, people will click on it, if for nothing at all, sheer amazement it was accepted in the first place

Yea there is no way they can actually like the photo huh Chad?

You should give the people that visit the site a little more credit. Not everyone wants to look at fighters from Nellis.

Quoting AKE0404AR (Reply 24):
Do I care about hits? Not necessarily, do I care about exposure? Yes I do care, so for some reason it goes hand in hand

Well as photographers we all want people to look at our work and enjoy when they do well. If you say you don't care about this you are lying.

gocaps16

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:14 pm

Hits, clicks or whatever you want to call it, are at an all time low (for me at least). Just looking for the root cause.

Vasco, you have some awesome shots from Boston back in the days, which everyone loves. But, honestly, your last 4 are just plain boring, especially the A380 shot. If you think this is an issue, you don't have to upload your pictures on here.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, Mr. Garcia.

Wiedersehen.

ac888yow

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:16 pm

Why does someone caring about hits make them a weirdo? The immediate reaction when someone makes a post about hits is "You do this for the hits!?!?!? OMFG!! What a loser!". It's so predictable ...

I care about hits because it gives me satisfaction to know that I am entertaining viewers with my shots. If I am used to a certain level of viewership and then observe a noticeable decline, I'd like to know why, and how to solve the problem if one exists.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 26):
Well as photographers we all want people to look at our work and enjoy when they do well. If you say you don't care about this you are lying.

Exactly.

JeffM

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:29 pm

Just looking for the root cause.

Just follow the trail of change backwards....it will point you directly to the cause.

Granite

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:48 pm

Hey Vasco

I opened up your AN124 image.

For once you are standing at the back and not blocking everyones view  tongue 

Regards

Gary

EZEIZA

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:55 pm

Quoting AC888YOW (Reply 28):
Why does someone caring about hits make them a weirdo?

correct. Some care about the hits, some don't, where is the problem? Let the guy ask about the hits without flaming him!

9VSPO

Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:32 pm

I bet you're not as shocked as I was when I went to the airport today and saw this. Big grin

jderden777

Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:00 pm

No need to take a pic of an aircraft at all, just upload a shadow....  stirthepot 
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

ua935

Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:02 pm

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 32):
I bet you're not as shocked as I was when I went to the airport today and saw this. Big grin

So you met up with the infamous NIKV69 out shooting today?
Live every second like you mean it

relic

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:02 pm

Hi
I thought aviation photographers did this because they loved this hobby.Sharing your photos around the world on Anet is great ,but i have never got upset about the hits i have had on certain photos.To alot of photographers,getting a picture accepted is an achievement.

The pictures are good,but i dont think they are major hit makers.
Andy

sulman

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:49 pm

I went to the airport today and saw this. Big grin

I think that's Royal's rental car. He digs twin airbags.
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

maiznblu_757

Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:32 pm

Quoting Jderden777 (Reply 33):
No need to take a pic of an aircraft at all, just upload a shadow....

I forgot about that one.  angel 

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 26):
Not everyone wants to look at fighters from Nellis.

Nice, I hit a sore spot... so I will continue shooting and uploading fighters from Nellis just to piss you off.

Quoting UA935 (Reply 34):

So the screeners biggest cheer girl is a blow up doll. Not surprised.

NIKV69

Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:40 pm

Quoting MAIZNBLU_757 (Reply 37):
Nice, I hit a sore spot... so I will continue shooting and uploading fighters from Nellis just to piss you off.

LOL, no Chad you didn't. I simply used that example to destroy your lame argument since you (much like Jeff) loathe Tim and the fact his shots are more popular than yours. We all know you will continue to camp out on the tarmac at Nellis and upload them in an attempt to boost your already huge ego. More power to you.

Quoting UA935 (Reply 34):

Infamous? You guys are too much  faint 

ua935

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:57 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 38):
since you (much like Jeff) loathe Tim and the fact his shots are more popular than yours

What are you going on about Nik? Just look at the numbers:-

Tims most popular shot has 137357 views
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tim de Groot - AirTeamImages

Chads has 395237 views
View Large View Medium

Photo © Chad Thomas - Jetwash Images

So thats a difference of 257880, even you must be able to tell which is the more popular.
Live every second like you mean it

maiznblu_757

Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:12 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 38):
We all know you will continue to camp out on the tarmac at Nellis and upload them in an attempt to boost your already huge ego.

I dont think you or anyone else has a clue really, but if you must know, my backlog is huge so I really do not need to camp out there, additionally I havent uploaded here in over a month.

Can someone just get Mr. penis envy a job on the crew?

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:29 am

I bet you're not as shocked as I was when I went to the airport today and saw this.

So that's where I left her!

Signed,
99% of a.net

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

maiznblu_757

Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:38 am

and for the record, Tim's whole anet portfolio is one that he should be very proud of. No pun intended.

spencer

Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:48 pm

Honestly, Vasco has a valid point considering it is something that he's curious about. So why not ask! The whole spotting and photography thing has changed a lot since the advent of A.net et al. If exposure is what you're into, (I like to think I am anyway), then you want to be getting the hits in. As Vasco said, it goes hand in hand. A couple of others have said it here as well, that it's gratifying to see your work pull in the viewers. I look at my first 15 and am pretty happy to see the hits grow day by day and personally feel that the majority are worthy of them.
Spencer.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

NIKV69

Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:05 pm

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 40):
I dont think you or anyone else has a clue really

Well after you insulted everyone that clicked on Tim's landing light shot why should we be any different? Of course we don't Chad!  biggrin 

Not interested Chad sorry, I know this is another one of your many fantasies but as usual you are way out in left field somewhere. Grab a glove the NY mets can use all the help they can get today.

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 42):
and for the record, Tim's whole anet portfolio is one that he should be very proud of. No pun intended.

Does that include the creative shots?  sarcastic 

Granite

Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi all

Can we get back to Vasco's original question and cut the Chad v Nik LoveFest.

Regards

Gary

NIKV69

Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:55 pm

Quoting Granite (Reply 45):

Can we get back to Vasco's original question

I think Tim put that to bed. I think we all are seeing our shots get less hits than before the takeover. I think it has been a variety of different reasons ranging from bugs to site traffic etc. It has been improving and everyone has been effected. His four examples are all great shots. The panning shot is just simply brilliant but we are all suffering from less views. Not much you can do except be patient.

Bruce

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:32 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 5):
Hits skyrocket as soon as your picture is in the 5 pictures on top of the homepage (by the 100's instead of single digit increments). Other than that it goes very slow.

I also noticed that as your photo is climbing the top-of-the-day section, sometimes it's simply not there. You're on page 10 at some point, suddenly your photo is nowhere to be found and then 5 minutes later you pop up again (on page 9, if you're lucky Smile ).

I've noticed this too. There's a severe difference between regular photos and those on the top of the homepage! Just last night, I had a 727 cockpit with maybe less than 2000 views I think, 10 hours later when I checked it this morning it had shot up to 4,500. It must have been on the front page but only for a short time because it wasn't there anymore, and since then has only gained maybe 100 views! wow!

Also...someone mentioned about all the promised changes. Over the last year there were a lot of changes promised but it seems like very few delivered. What ever happened to the re-worked upload page? And screening is slow again!

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

JeffM

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:03 am

...better make it just a small job...  rotfl 

Isn't it funny how those that can't get access to Nellis any day of the week find the photos from there boring?

Airshow access is a wonderful thing...

NIKV69

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:33 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 48):
Isn't it funny how those that can't get access to Nellis any day of the week find the photos from there boring?

Never said his photos were boring. Unless of course you would like to find it and quote it. Just merely pointing out that people do actually want to see the pics you and Chad continue to bring up in this forum and insult the photographer.

Quoting JeffM (Reply 48):
Airshow access is a wonderful thing...

Must be but not my thing, I don't need access to get interesting shots.