beekie10

Late Evening/ Night Photography

Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:10 pm

Hi,

What features should I use to make a picture in the late evening to become the lines out of the lights on the wings of the plane? Should I focus on the plane?

viv

RE: Late Evening/ Night Photography

Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:03 pm

A tripod and a long exposure.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

gliderpilot08

Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 1):
A tripod and a long exposure.

I understand "tripod", but what do you mean by : "Long Exposure"  Confused

I know how to change the exposure and I also know that a long exposure will make the picture turn more white in the daytime, but how do you adjust you exposure time to work towards you benefit during the evening.

Thanks
Luke
 Smile
Gimli Advisory. Sierra, Oscar, Romeo on right downwind for Rwy 15

whappeh

Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:11 pm

Quoting Gliderpilot08 (Reply 2):
I know how to change the exposure and I also know that a long exposure will make the picture turn more white in the daytime, but how do you adjust you exposure time to work towards you benefit during the evening.

The reason why the longer exposures turn your photo white in the day time is because longer exposures leave the shutter open longer, thus allowing more light into the camera. When the camera stays open for too long during bright light the sensor just translates what it reads into whiteness (brightness). Since there is less light at night, of all kinds, longer shutter speeds allow more of that light into the camera and thus create a properly exposed image.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

gliderpilot08

Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:16 pm

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 3):
The reason why

Thanks alot,  Big grin

Regards
Luke
Gimli Advisory. Sierra, Oscar, Romeo on right downwind for Rwy 15

sovietjet

Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:25 pm

I have a question about this too. How do I get the light streaks AND the plane? I have a picture on here of a long exposure but that night I just couldn't get the plane itself.

This is what I mean:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Piotr Zdunek

whappeh

Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:33 pm

Quoting Sovietjet (Reply 5):
I have a question about this too. How do I get the light streaks AND the plane? I have a picture on here of a long exposure but that night I just couldn't get the plane itself.

I have never shot that style before, I'm I am 99% sure this is what they are doing:

1) Set up a tripod for long exposures at the threshhold of the runway.
2) When you see an aircraft coming, start the exposure.
3) Get a large flash
4) When the aircraft is over your head, trigger the flash. The extra bright light will freeze the aircraft there in the frame, while still having the streaks.

The only thing that confuses me is how to work the flash in with the exposure settings, since I'm pretty sure you'll have to manually trigger the flash. I guess its just trial and error in order to get it right.

sovietjet

Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:48 pm

You really think an external flash is enough to light a whole plane which is 100-200 feet away? I didn't think they were that powerful  Big grin

whappeh

Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:56 pm

Well, probably some sort of studio flash. I'm sure they aren't doing that with an SB-600.