kugakt

Manchester Airport

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:36 pm

I took some photos at Manchester Airport the other week, I could see the aviation park in front of me, i was on an embankment. I just wonder which is the best lense to use for this position as when uploading an image thye said was too much space in the picture. I am hoping to go this weekend to try again so any advice would be appreciated.

KarlADrage

RE: Manchester Airport

Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:45 pm

Unless we're talking massive gaps at either side what the screener meant was that the image could benefit from being cropped to reduce the dead space.
Cheers,

JakTrax

Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:58 pm

I'm assuming you were standing atop an area commonly known as 'the mounds', which are opposite the AVP by the side of (and very close to) the runway 23L threshold?

To help you decide, here's one of my pic's from there...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Karl Nixon

If this is the place the best lens is something like a 28-135, although I use a 28-105 (used for the above image) which gets right in on anything but the smallest of light aircraft. Even a bigger lens (my 70-200 for instance) can produce good results here, however anything larger than a 737 and you'll struggle for side-on shots.

Always try and zoom in as close as you can to your subject, but avoid being ultra-close as if the final shot is unlevel you'll have very little room to crop. If you find yourself with too much space either side of the aircraft you must crop (after any necessary levelling), but obviously cropping reduces quality so excessive cropping may render the image useless.

Hope that helps.

Karl

kugakt

Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks for the reply Karl. That is the spot where i was standing. Using a 18-55 which came with the camera, and a 70-300. Ill have to try cropping if not quite tight enough.

Ive just bought a 170-500mm, is there a good spot to use this lens?

Ill give it a go over the weekend and see if i get better results. Ill check the forecasrt to check the better day.

Karl

Daleaholic

Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 2):

Karl, I think I saw you the other week, on a Sunday at the AVP. I was on one of the mounds, young lad with a Sigma 70-300 strapped to my 400D. Were you using a 70-200 F4 L?

Smile
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

JakTrax

Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:49 am

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 4):
Karl, I think I saw you the other week, on a Sunday at the AVP. I was on one of the mounds, young lad with a Sigma 70-300 strapped to my 400D. Were you using a 70-200 F4 L?

Are you trying to say I'm old?!  grumpy 

Yes, that would have been me. Scruffy looking (when I shoot at the airport anyway!), usually in trackies 'n' flip-flops... and maybe a hat.  Smile

I've been up to MAN the past three Sundays, so which one are you referring to? Was it the evening the Europe Airpost came out? You'll have to introduce yourself next time, I'm not as grumpy as I look!

Quoting Kugakt (Reply 3):
Thanks for the reply Karl. That is the spot where i was standing. Using a 18-55 which came with the camera, and a 70-300. Ill have to try cropping if not quite tight enough.

Ive just bought a 170-500mm, is there a good spot to use this lens?

18-55 is fine from the mounds for anything A321 or bigger - for smaller types the 70-300 will be better. Shouldn't be too much of a problem lens-swapping 'cause you can see what's crossing for departure well before it gets within range of your lens.

As for your 170-500, did you not do any research before buying it? Is it a good lens because you need to be really careful with that sort of focal lentgh range? At MAN such a lens will seldom be useful if you plan to simply shoot side-ons, however it will come into it's own for more creative shots.

On a last note, the first two replies were both from other 'Karls with a K' and I also see you're from Stoke, just like me! Strange world........

Karl

Daleaholic

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:13 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 5):
Are you trying to say I'm old?!   

Yes, that would have been me. Scruffy looking (when I shoot at the airport anyway!), usually in trackies 'n' flip-flops... and maybe a hat.  

I've been up to MAN the past three Sundays, so which one are you referring to? Was it the evening the Europe Airpost came out? You'll have to introduce yourself next time, I'm not as grumpy as I look!

It was that evening yes, but I left before the Europe Airpost departed, saw it arrive though!

I will introduce myself if I see you again! You need to stop climbing on the mound fence though  Wink The rangers wouldn't be happy!  Silly

JakTrax

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:45 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 6):
You need to stop climbing on the mound fence though The rangers wouldn't be happy!

Now come on, every bugger climbs on the fence and you know it!  Big grin

As for AVP staff, even they do it - I've seem 'em (but I won't name 'em)!

Besides, we wouldn't have to do it if they made the mounds high enough in the first place!

Why did you leave before the Airpost went out anyway? That's what I turned up for...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon

I guess you have it already? I must admit, I didn't have it despite the fact that they've been in quite a bit lately. Seemed to miss them every time for some reason!

Anyway, might soon be able to put a face to the name.

Regards,

Karl

kugakt

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:45 pm

Im lost here on whos who.

I researched the lens a little, didnt really buy it for using on the mounds opposite AVP, hopefully will be able to use it, for creative shots, well see.

Ill perhaps try and go over the weekend and try. Ill stick with 18-55 and 70-300mm at the mounds. The 170-500 was more affordable than perhaps 50-500mm.

Did you ask me about being there on a sunday or someone else?

A small world to see Karl with a k from Stoke. Do you get to man much?

Daleaholic

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:01 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 7):
I guess you have it already? I must admit, I didn't have it despite the fact that they've been in quite a bit lately. Seemed to miss them every time for some reason!

I'm not really one to go to the airport for one particular aircraft, mainly due to the fact I live 30 miles away and i'm a poor student who can't afford the petrol  Silly If I have a spare tenner or so, I'll pop down.
I enjoy going on a Sunday whilst recovering from the night before, although I do wait till I'm sober before i set off, still feel ill though!  drunk 

JakTrax

Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:49 pm

Quoting Kugakt (Reply 8):
Did you ask me about being there on a sunday or someone else?

A small world to see Karl with a k from Stoke. Do you get to man much?

Nah, was asking Daleaholic - confusing I know!

I get to MAN very frequently - in fact I've just got back from there as I type this. I'm from Werrington, what about you?

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 9):
I'm not really one to go to the airport for one particular aircraft, mainly due to the fact I live 30 miles away and i'm a poor student who can't afford the petrol If I have a spare tenner or so, I'll pop down.
I enjoy going on a Sunday whilst recovering from the night before, although I do wait till I'm sober before i set off, still feel ill though!

Try living 35 miles away!  Wink

I know the feeling about Saturday nights and Sunday mornings, by the way!

Karl

jid

Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:59 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 9):
I'm not really one to go to the airport for one particular aircraft, mainly due to the fact I live 30 miles away and i'm a poor student who can't afford the petrol

Try using a pushbike like me! Saying that I only live 4miles away from the triangle Big grin Not sure I could do 30 miles without stopping at a pub.
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX

JakTrax

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Quoting Jid (Reply 11):
Saying that I only live 4miles away from the triangle

Are you sure Jid? I thought you lived AT the triangle.....  Silly

Karl

kugakt

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Quote:
I get to MAN very frequently - in fact I've just got back from there as I type this. I'm from Werrington, what about you?

Im just down the road in berryhill. How was MAN today? Get any good shots? ( presuming you went to the airport and not town centre)

JakTrax

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:48 pm

Yeah, it wasn't too bad a morning - patches of blue, patches of cloud; very on and off. Photographed a SAS Braathens 734 which I've not seen before but apart from that traffic was pretty pedestrian - and very slow! The Libyan was expected as an A320 but, as usual, turned up as the regular CRJ-900.

Karl

Daleaholic

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:53 pm

Quoting Jid (Reply 11):
Try using a pushbike like me!

What the hell is a 'pushbike'...

Signed,
Youth of today  Silly

Considering there is usually a MAN meet each year anyway, it is usually more of a social event that photography, was thinking it might be quite good to have a photographers meet maybe?
We could start off in the morning southside, then round to the AVP for a while, down to the Airport Pub and back round to southside at 3... Just a thought Big grin

JakTrax

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:57 pm

Well me and my cronies will be there Saturday morning for the Finnair retro so maybe that'd be a good time for a photographer meet. Pre-10:00 in Joe's field, then to the mounds, then back to Joe's; knock off at 14:00, zoom to the pub for a pint or 20, then north-side after 16:00.

Karl

kugakt

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:05 pm

Whats the finnair retro?

also where is joe's field?

Sorry for all the questions.

JakTrax

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:46 am

Finnair retro...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kevin Gutt

Sole aircraft painted in this '50s livery to celebrate Finnair's birthday. It's due tomorrow (Sat) at 09:20, out at 10:30.

Joe's Field is opposite the Airport Hotel pub and can be reached via Moss Lane. Very good place for shooting arrivals on 23R (from sunrise until about 14:00). Example shot...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon

Karl

kugakt

Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:36 pm

What sort of lens required for Joes field?

JakTrax

Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:30 pm

Quoting Kugakt (Reply 19):
What sort of lens required for Joes field?

70-200 is plenty. 70-300 is more than enough.

Karl

kugakt

Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:35 pm

Thanks for the info, perhaps try there sumtime.

Anotherone i wanted to ask was where is north side?

Also does the Airport Pub give a good photo chance or fences/ walls/ glass whatever there too high? Sorry for my ignorance but cant really say ive been for quite a number of years.

JakTrax

Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:44 pm

The north side spots are the pub garden (it's pretty good for landing shots but useless for departures), the T3 car-park and the viewing park. There are also other spots on the north side of runway 23L/05R, although these locations sit to the south of 23R/05L.

Basically, the sun is good for the south side (Joe's field, the mounds, the triangle etc.) from sunrise until about 14:00 and for the north side after about 16:30 (not good in winter!).

Karl

Daleaholic

Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:13 pm

Karl, where do you park when you go to Joe's field? I stupidly parked on the corner infront of the chevrons last time and the coppers were ready to tow it away. They blew their sirens though and I just got a talking to.

I didn't see anywhere else though as it's all solid white lines round there...

jid

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:13 am

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 23):
where do you park when you go to Joe's field?

If you are heading to the muddy path park on the right just before you get to the 2 sharp 'S' bends then go over the style.

Off to the mounds now to see this silver blue thing.

Jid

JakTrax

Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:58 pm

Quoting Jid (Reply 24):
Off to the mounds now to see this silver blue thing.

Been to the mounds to see that silver blue thing........  Big grin

Jid, are you sure we're talking about the same place here? And Daleaholic, what chevrons?

Drive down Moss Lane and, just before the S-bend, there's a grass verge just beyond a couple of houses. Park here then head on foot to the house by the bend, next to which is the gate/styal into the field. Another tip - walk all the way into the field as at the back there's a muddy road which takes you into another area where there's a few decent mounds.

Karl

kugakt

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:03 pm

I managed to find the mounds today, drove down Moss Lane then ventured through the fields towards the moody road where brings you to some mounds, Bloody Mud, i know if ill go next time to be bettetr equipped. I cam down from one mound to cross the track and go up the other side and ended up loosing my shoe, can to pull my foot out of the mud and my shoe sat there. Bloody typical, i got one normal shoe and the other caked in mud, as well as my trousers and socks. ( im sure everyone will have a chuckle at that )

But great spot for planes coming into land, got some good pics there ( well i think there ok, others may beg to differ )

Next time i visit ill be taking my wellies, waterproof trousers, shovel, JCB, just incase i get stuck in the mud. haha

It went overcast after lunch, after such a bright morning. Did you all get a good days shoot?

Daleaholic

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:08 pm

Thought it might be easier if I give you a picture... The grass verges you talk about, are they to the right in this picture?

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/Daleaholic/joesfield.jpg

JakTrax

Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Well I'm not surprised the police got irritated, as that's someone's driveway! You're best parking on the verge, more-or-less where your arrow points.

Quoting Kugakt (Reply 26):
It went overcast after lunch, after such a bright morning. Did you all get a good days shoot?

I sure did. Did you catch the Finnair retro-jet?

Karl

kugakt

Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:55 pm

Yeah i arrived as it was leaving, got a couple of shots of it.

There was quite a few people at the mounds. Anyone uploaded there photos for processing of Finnair?

jid

Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:31 pm

Quoting Kugakt (Reply 29):
Anyone uploaded there photos for processing of Finnair?

Yes Big grin

JakTrax

Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:01 pm

Mine's in the queue (well, it will be in about 5mins).

Karl

9VSPO

Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:17 pm

Did you all get shots of the Hercules?  Wink

kugakt

Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:33 pm

What time did the hercules call in?

JakTrax

Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:42 pm

Got it last time it was in.....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon

Wink

Karl

9VSPO

Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:53 pm

Quoting Kugakt (Reply 33):
What time did the hercules call in?

Came in around 11am.

Daleaholic

Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 32):

Not seen you around these parts for ages! Big grin Welcome back...

Headed down to MAN this afternoon after going to that new photography exhibition at The Lowry (worth a look if you like hard hitting photography). Best shot, in poor conditions is a panning shot of an Aer Lingus A320 which the forum won't let me post for some reason...

JakTrax

Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Hey guys,

Here's my Finnair retro, in the queue.....

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/OH-LVE_MAN_181008_KN.JPG

Hope you all got it nicely!

Cheers,

Karl

Psych

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:00 pm

Hello Karl.

Nice to meet you yesterday.

As you might guess from me, my version of this aircraft will be level with the wheels and on the turn - not that I don't have any variety in my phtos here  wink . Got to keep the 'worm's eye view', even at the Victor Alpha intersection!

It will be interesting to make comparisons with different people's edits, assuming we get acceptances!

All the best.

Paul

JakTrax

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:14 pm

Yeah, nice to put a face to the name now Paul. I've met quite a few photog's from here recently but there's still several I've not met yet. Seems strange that, in a way, we all actually know each other and must on numerous occasions be standing next to one another!

I've never actually tried the 'worm's-eye view' - does the top of the fence intrude into the picture? Also, are the wheels obscured to any degree?

Cheers,

Karl

Psych

Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:08 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 39):
I've never actually tried the 'worm's-eye view'

I have tried to get copyright on it anyway, but without success  biggrin .

No problem with the fence or wheels. Though the low perspective for the Tango intersection can result in a little obscuring of the bottom of the wheels, as the aircraft climb slightly up to line up on the runway. Thankfully the screeners are not too harsh on this kind of obscuring of wheels.

Paul

jid

Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:02 am

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 37):
Here's my Finnair retro, in the queue.....

It is always interesting to compare 'similar' shots taken form the same place. Here is my effort at the retro-jet.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...LVE__V2_EGCC_jid_20081018_3422.jpg

Comparing it to Karl's mine does look 'cooler' or is it the Karl's is warm I'm not sure. Unfortunately The Doctor has been unable to get copyright on the worm view as I pinched his spot on Saturday and have had a go at a few worm-eyes myself.

Jid

kugakt

Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Sorry to be asking questions again lol. Whats the Worm Eyes mean?

By the way great pictures of Finnair. What lense and focal length were used?

Daleaholic

Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:24 pm

Quoting Kugakt (Reply 42):

Think they mean the perspective from the same level as the aircraft... The worms eye view...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Markman

Daleaholic

Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:27 pm

Oh and here's my effort from yesterday, best I could do with the rubbish weather!

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/EI_DEK_MAN_19_10_2008.jpg

kugakt

Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:47 pm

I really like you Air Lingus shot, got that sense of speed behind it.

Daleaholic

Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:57 pm

Cheers, The weather was awful and most of my shots were coming out dark so I decided to use TV for a bit on 1/80 and it came up trumps. Must say, I'm starting to get the hang of panning.

JakTrax

Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:17 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 43):
Think they mean the perspective from the same level as the aircraft... The worms eye view...

checkmark 

By the way great pictures of Finnair. What lense and focal length were used?

For mine I used the EF70-200 F4 L @ 70mm. Aperture F8, shutter 1/400, ISO100, centre-weighted metering, centre focus point only, 0 stop comp.

Regards,

Karl

Psych

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:09 pm

Whats the Worm Eyes mean

This made me smile!

Many moons ago I ventured away from the famous mound at Manchester, where most viewers congregate, through the undergrowth to a spot which is pretty well level with the wheels of a taxiing aircraft. I uploaded a lot of images from this viewpoint, which became a favourite of mine, not least because it was somewhat different from the usual shots of taxiing aircraft for 23L.

We often use the phrase 'bird's eye view' so, given that you feel like you are in the undergrowth at this point, and I like the comments attached to photos, I figured what I was photographing was a 'worm's eye view' - not that worms have eyes, of course  biggrin . Some people began to associate me with those kind of photos and the phrase stuck, and then my good friend Mr. Webb began referring to me using that phrase. I now enjoy it when he refers to traveling to 'Worm Central' to get those same low perspectives.

For my own entertainment I have looked back to see when the phrase was coined - here it is, all those years ago, in the good old days  old  :

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Markman

All good fun.

Paul

kugakt

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:38 pm

Quoting Psych (Reply 48):
For mine I used the EF70-200 F4 L @ 70mm. Aperture F8, shutter 1/400, ISO100, centre-weighted metering, centre focus point only, 0 stop comp.

Thanks for the info. Ill try different settings than the standard camera setting of landscape, etc.
Is it best to shoot in JPG L or Raw.

Quoting Psych (Reply 48):
Many moons ago I ventured away from the famous mound at Manchester, where most viewers congregate, through the undergrowth to a spot which is pretty well level with the wheels of a taxiing aircraft

Where abouts is this position?