jspitfire

Recently Added Pic Of Martin Mars

Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:55 pm

This picture of the "Marshall Mars" was recently added to the database. It is a great picture and a great addition to the database, however I question some of the information provided.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Steve

First of all, the aircraft is a Martin JRM-2 or JRM-3 Mars, and it appears to be in US Navy colors.

More Importantly, I question the location of Sproat Lake. Forest Industries Flying Tankers of Port Alberni bought four of the Mars aircraft in the mid 1950s. The Marshall Mars, however, was destroyed in a fire off the coast of Hawaii a few years earlier.

Also, Since I have been to Port Alberni and know how small of a town it is, I find it hard to believe that the US Navy would bring the Mars here along with so many personel, and have facilities built to accomodate such a monster aircraft. I would also expect to see a lot more mountains or trees in the background instead of buildings.

So if anyone knows more about the location of this photo, we can make sure the information is accurate in the database.

redfox

RE: Recently Added Pic Of Martin Mars

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:13 am

It might be better to use the 'correct info' feature rather than raise this in a public forum.

ptrjong

Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:29 am

Some information has been changed, but the location remains Port Alberni. I agree this is unlikely. Why would a large US Navy aircraft fly there?

Quoting Redfox (Reply 1):

What's wrong witht that? Maybe someone knows the correct location.

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

srbmod

Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:02 pm

Doing a little research, this same photo is posted on the NOAA News website in an article about finding the wreckage of the Marshall Mars and is credited to the US Navy and has no date. Perhaps we should be questioning the origins of this uploaded photo as well.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2004/s2354.htm

ptrjong

Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:23 pm

http://www.combatreform.com/R3YtradewindstoreplacetheMARS.jpg

By his own admittance, Steve was not around then
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)