TexasHilljack
Topic Author

SAT Hot Spots

Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:40 am

Any other aviation photographers out of San Antonio who take photos? What are their hot spots? I have taken along the path to and from 12 south east of the airport.

777MechSys

RE: SAT Hot Spots

Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:59 pm

When I visit SAT I check in with the airport police shift sargent and take photos from on top the long term parking garage. Approach shots with blue sky all look the same. I try to take photos of the planes on the runway / taxi way. Once SAT builds the new terminal shots from the parking garage will be limited to runway 3 and not 12R/30L

If you have 400mm you can take photos down runway 12R, like Mike. He has some great shots from there.

scottieprecord

Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:05 pm

Quoting 777MechSys (Reply 1):
If you have 400mm you can take photos down runway 12R, like Mike. He has some great shots from there.

Thanks Erick  Smile

Here's a map of SAT with my three fav spots.
Big version: Width: 593 Height: 453 File size: 251kb
SAT hotspots

And good examples from those three:
1 - Shot from the parking garage, looking out at 12R/30L:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mike Paschal

2 - Shot from across 281, looking down 12R approach:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike Paschal

3 - Looking back SW towards 12R in the evening:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike Paschal

Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it down to SAT in quite a while. But I've been hearing of some decently interesting stuff this month. This 747SP was there a couple weeks ago, possibly for MX at SAA.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ryan Pastorino

And this DNIPROAVIA 763 was in town earlier this month - first 767 for them:
http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=&picid=5187

Also you might want to check out Port San Antonio / Lackland AFB. At the airshow beginning of November I saw a Qatari A343 sitting outside of Gore Design, most likely waiting on parts for an interior redesign. And Omega has four of their KC-707s stored over there, including this one:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike Paschal

SAT was pretty boring for awhile, but it seems to be picking up now. Look out for a wave of 5X planes coming to SAA after the holiday rush.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Mike

TexasHilljack
Topic Author

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:22 am

I have actually done some photography above Broadway Aero was the street. I am still trying to get things up to Airliners net standards. THanks for the help I will continue trying who knows maybe one fine day I will have an Airliners.net worthy photo.