An-225
Topic Author

A Blatant Copyright Infringement - What To Do?

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:58 pm

Hello fellow photographers,

I know I haven't posted here in over 2 years, but at this point I need your help. I was browsing wikipedia and found that this image has been stolen from me.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alexander Kroychik

Here is the URL for the article and image in question http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777 and here is the photo again http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Boeing_777_Cockpit.jpg

So what should I do? And is there any possibility of getting any money from the offenders?

Any help is appreciated.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

ThierryD
Crew

RE: A Blatant Copyright Infringement - What To Do?

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:09 pm

Hi Alex,

contact the guys from wikipedia concerning copyright issues here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ntact_us/Article_problem/Copyright and ask them to have the photo removed.
I wouldn't count on any money.

Regards,

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

timdegroot

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:09 pm

Quoting An-225 (Thread starter):
So what should I do?

Get wikipedia to remove it.

Quoting An-225 (Thread starter):
And is there any possibility of getting any money from the offenders?

I doubt it

Tim
Alderman Exit

photopilot

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:24 pm

Well, doing some research back to Flickr where the images are originally posted, and then the profile of Billypalooza, the poster, and then back to his profile... and a bit more digging yields this info to the person who posted the image to Wikipedia as his own.

Bill Alldredge
2518 Owl Creek Rd
Thermopolis, WY 82443-9141
(307) 867-2518

Where you go from here..... up to you.

oly720man

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:25 pm

I'd complain to Flickr as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/billypalooza/149533605/

Click the Copyright/IP Policy at the bottom of the page.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

INNflight

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:38 pm

Truth is, that's all a pain in the ....

I've found seven ( !!! ) usages two days ago with photos of mine, by seven different websites, and three of them were some kind of asian language which of course I could not even display, the others were stupid blogs and two were solid infringement. Got in touch with one so far, but still......it's a pain.

I just don't bother with all the foreign stuff, too much energy wasted as they'll simply not get back anyways. Might aswell not put anything on the internet.

Cheers
Florian
Jet Visuals

gmonney

Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:54 am

I kind of agree with Florian, its so easy to copy images, its happened to me too, to go after everyone that loves and copies you photos, take it as a complement. But if they are selling and trying to make money, then nail their a$$ to the wall,

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

hawaiian717

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:28 pm

Once nice thing about Wikipedia is that because anyone can edit, it's pretty easy to get copyright violations removed. You don't have to go through the Wikimedia Foundation to do it; there are processes in place to get it done. I've just listed the photo to have it removed.

An-225
Topic Author

Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:59 pm

Hello again,

The situation was resolved in a peaceful and respectful manner. Thank you very much for all your help and support.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

TexasHilljack

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:19 am

I am learning or trying to get aviation photos here. When you post a photo on the web there is always the real possibility of it getting hijacked Many of my female boxing pictures from AUSAboxing have found their way to assorted groups.

I suggest when you post a photo on the web to have a pro active few on things and there are some yahoo groups I throw hot links up to tell the guys to save the photos do not repost and that has cut my photo theft rate down.

It all goes down to how much effort you want to put fourth in dealing with copyright issues international copyrights are hard to enforce and the whole 9 yards.

Welcome to web photography!