draigonair

Pinal Airpark Arizona

Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:53 am

Hi,

Has anyone here visited Pinal Airpark? Would it be easy to get airside permission?
I have flow to the airfield a couple of times but there wasnt really time to walk around, so im wondering if i can get airside permision if i come with car (i have airline ID).

Are there public areas you can visit to see the planes or are there fences and the only way
to get near the planes are via the FBO or evergreen maintenance center?

let me know!

Nick
cheers

visityyj

RE: Pinal Airpark Arizona

Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:51 pm

The quick answer is No and No. Evergreen are extremely  butthead  about access, ever since Schnozz Meyer passed away years ago.

You can get distant views from some of the surrounding fields, but it involves off-roading. See: http://members.cox.net/jetnash/spotting/so-ariz.html

soon7x7

Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:54 pm

I got airside a couple of times as I have a friend that breaks up aircraft out there that he owns BUT has since had a falling out as much of his property mysteriously dissapeared...since then all I was able to get was some touch and goes while shooting simultaneously...evergreen does not want to see your aircraft come to a full stop unless they are buying the airframe....good luck!

draigonair

Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:04 pm

Real shame, i got the same response from some other people that you cant really get access...Not sure if i will be able to go there again but i hope so and then i will for sure bring my zoomlens and taxi around the scrap yard without stopping! Ill just ask my instructor to taxi and ill then try to take some shots!!

Cheers Nick
cheers

airkas1
Crew

Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:56 pm

Hi Nick,

I've tried it by car when I was in Mesa last febuari. It was a pain in the a$$ to even find the right roads to get there, but once we arrived, there was this guard post with a boom and a guy in the booth. I didn´t even bother asking (also because we were on the way to Pima, which I can definately recommend!).

This is the photo of the gate on feb 11:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/AirKas1/PinalAirPark.jpg
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

soon7x7

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:32 am

Quoting DRAIGONAIR (Reply 3):

One of the issues here is that the military conducts live ordnance operations closely, but just to the north. Although not a daily occurance.....the last time I went out there an Osprey crashed days before and 25 or so souls perished there so its a fairly sensative area.