haphadon

Camera Settings Help

Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:32 pm

Ok I am heading out to Toronto Pearson tdhis weekend and it is supposed to be cloudy with a bit of flurries as of now. I am wondering what settings should I use on my Canon 100d/Rebel XS to get good shots? would something like 1/250sec and Apeture between 9.0 and 11.0 and Iso 200 be good? And should I disable the stabilizer in the lens? Any suggestions to change any of the settings are appriciated.

Thanks in advanced,

haphadon

Moose135

RE: Camera Settings Help

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:08 pm

I shoot with a 40D, but have had a 300D and 30D before that, and have used similar settings - I generally shoot in AV mode, in the neighborhood of f/7.1 or f/8.0. I try to keep the ISO as low as I can, ISO 100 if I have the light, but will bump it up if needed to keep the shutter speed reasonable. I think 1/250 is on the slow side, I generally look for 1/400 or faster, unless I'm shooting props. If it's cloudy, you will likely need to use a higher ISO - start with 200 and go from there, again, based on how the shutter speed is looking.

If you have a stabilized lens, by all means leave the IS turned on (I assume you aren't using a tripod). What lens are you using? If it has two modes (the Canon 100-400 does, I'm guessing others do as well) use the mode that is designed for panning work - it only provides IS in one axis (it's mode 2 on the 100-400).
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

haphadon

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:10 pm

Thanks for the reply last time I went I used 1/160 and all my pictures were blurry adn I knew I was doing something rong. Let me mind you this was 2 days after I got my camera. I have the Canon EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens.

Trackcharlie

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:15 pm

Also consider your metering. If you have it, use centre-weighted metering mode to bias the exposure towards the aircraft. Check your histogram and apply any exposure compensation if needed, although this will slow your shutter speed down a tad.

IS itself is of limited use at higher shutter speeds but I leave mine turned on to help me compose shots when zoomed in. If it's windy and you're freezing your wotsits off it's really handy!

Have a good one.

Tim.