TheRealMrBurns
Topic Author

Top Rated Photo On Airliners.net

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:21 pm

This is my first post on here. I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but what is the top rated photo in Airliners.net database?

calisam

RE: Top Rated Photo On Airliners.net

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:32 pm

unattendedbag

Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:10 am

Quoting CaliSam (Reply 1):
this should help: http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...82096

that's a link to every photo in the database. what makes the photos "Top Rated" if every single photo on this site is included?

[Edited 2009-02-12 16:14:58]
Slower traffic, keep right

mjlewis

Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:46 am

Quoting UnattendedBag (Reply 3):
that's a link to every photo in the database. what makes the photos "Top Rated" if every single photo on this site is included?

Probably because it has almost 2.5 million views?
Flying runs in the family : )

waketurbulence

Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:02 am

Quoting Mjlewis (Reply 4):

You have not been around long enough to have seen the 'top rated' function in action. Photos with 20 votes (by clicking on the stars) with an average vote of 4.3 stars or higher were included in a group of similar rated photos.

The top rated function has not worked here pretty much since DM took over. I found it to be a great tool showcasing photos that were popular in star votes and not necessarily hits. There were some real gems in there that I would not have seen otherwise. I'd like to see it brought back, but there are many other problems that need to be addressed first.
-Matt

dlowwa

Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:11 am

I think the OP is looking for the top rated, not the most hits/views. Artistic-type shots might have a higher rating than a shot that simply gets a lot of views. Look at the photographer's choice photos. Some of them don't have nearly as many hits as more pedestrian shots of say, a former NW bird recently repainted in DL colors.

To the OP, I'm not sure if you can sort all of the photos in the database by their rating. That option certainly isn't available in the usual drop-down sort menu. I know I can check my own top-rated photos in the Photographer's Corner page (my top photo is rated 4.79, for example), but for all other photos, I have no idea.

Maybe someone can enlighten us if it is possible?

Matt- you beat me to it. It would be nice to see that option available again, for sure.

Dana

[Edited 2009-02-12 17:13:24]

unattendedbag

Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:06 am

Quoting Mjlewis (Reply 4):

I don't understand your reply.
Slower traffic, keep right

je89_w
Crew

Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:58 am

Quoting WakeTurbulence (Reply 5):

You have not been around long enough to have seen the 'top rated' function in action. Photos with 20 votes (by clicking on the stars) with an average vote of 4.3 stars or higher were included in a group of similar rated photos.

The top rated function has not worked here pretty much since DM took over. I found it to be a great tool showcasing photos that were popular in star votes and not necessarily hits. There were some real gems in there that I would not have seen otherwise. I'd like to see it brought back, but there are many other problems that need to be addressed first.
-Matt

Quoting Dlowwa (Reply 6):
but for all other photos, I have no idea.

Maybe someone can enlighten us if it is possible?

This might help. Lots of great photos in there, and new ones I haven't seen before.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?toprated=yes

dlowwa

Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:04 am

Quoting Je89_w (Reply 8):
This might help.

Great! Where did you find that link? Did I miss something obvious? If you click on the 'Top Rated' - View All tab on the front page, it just lists based on views...

I hope I didn't miss a really obvious link somewhere...

Dana

timdegroot

Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:35 am

The fact that all photos are showing is a bug. The photos that appear on the frontpage are the correct ones though.

Tim
Alderman Exit