raedervision

Pink Nose Commander

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:20 am

[F
ILE:536971359,thumb,phpMZKSxH.jpeg]

A number of people have asked me about the whole story behind this picture and I have also been asked about publishing an article about it. The story is long and goes back a long way and when I get time I will write it and let you know here how to find it.

I will say a few things about this picture. It was taken in the Boise Idaho valley a few years ago. It was a seized drug runner and was ferried to my hanger were the mechanical and interior restoration took place. From there it was going to Washougal Washington and wait three months until it was repainted. My brother and I decided to have a go at the paint with all our friends adding the comments for everyone to read including Jim's entire crop dusting crash history. After it was finished and many laughs till our sides split open I new I had to get some a2a's. With so many a2a's between us we didn't need much preflight brief. The airplane looked so bad I just had to ask Jim if we could make it look worse. I asked him to cage an engine. " You want me to what" !? He said he would make that call inflight after we were in formation at 100-110 knots. Jim knows Commanders like the back of his hand and if it was a problem he would tell me. Knowing who you are flying with is very important when you start pushing the subject around. Two minutes into the formation and half a wingspan away the port engine goes quiet and we never skipped a beat. After thirty minutes Jim turns it back on and it's a twin Commander again. In my opinion the people are the most important part of a2a. You can have the best camera,the best weather,the best airplanes,the best preflight but if you don't have the people you are not going to get anything good and you might not even land. The pink part is long and funny and I will write the whole story soon. Jim

Plainplane

RE: Pink Nose Commander

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:23 am

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Did you try submitting it to the photo queue?

[Edited 2009-02-13 21:24:07]

Stealthz

Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:02 am

Quoting Plainplane (Reply 1):
Did you try submitting it to the photo queue?

You mean like this...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jim Raeder

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

raedervision

Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:15 am

That's it. Thank's, I'm a little green around here. Jim

redfox

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:26 am

Jim,

Thats a funny story and a great photo. Please keep them coming as I hope to enjoy your work long into the future.

Are you going to complete the story with the pink bit.....

dlowwa

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:57 am

Yeah,

Thanks for sharing (the story and the photos). Please keep 'em both coming!

Dana

damien846

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:05 am

Great story and great shot.......just got to try and get a mate of mine to fly a twin with one engine off!
Well done....
Damien

airkas1
Crew

Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi Jim,

Nice story, love the photos! As the others have said: keep them coming  Smile
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener