boquera

Photography In SZG

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:22 am

hi everyone, im thinking of visiting Salzburg in the freezing cold next week and was wondering f anyone could give me directions to any good photography sites. I've heard there's a terrace and some good points along the perimeter

thanks

matt

JakTrax

RE: Photography In SZG

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 am

The terrace is very good although at certain times of the day you'll have to pick your spots to match the position of the sun. There's also a very good spot just to the right of the terminal, past the bus park, which involves a walk through a (snowy) field onto a raised mound. A brisk walk (or quick drive) in either direction will lead to some good spots at both ends of the runway, with something small to stand on being of benefit.

Here are a few of my shots from SZG - the first two from the terrace and the second two from the snow-covered mound next to the terminal:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Karl Nixon
View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon

View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon
View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon

Hope this helps.

Karl

MarkusB
Crew

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:56 am

Matt,

Try to arrange your holiday so that you are here spotting on a Saturday, as this is by far the busiest day of the week (on Sat. Feb. 21 there will be 107 aircraft, and 101 on Feb. 28).

For spotting points at the airport, check http://www.planes-international.com/szg-si-e.htm

And before actually leaving for the airport, I suggest you print the current flight information from the Airport's web site, http://engl.salzburg-airport.com/

Have fun,
Markus
Salzburg

whisperjet
Crew

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:58 am

Hi,

remember that traffic is very slow on weekdays in Salzburg so rather go there on a Saturday to catch the wintercharter-traffic.
Also note that due to some noise restrictions there won't be many Russian-built aircraft this season, most likely it will be 1 or 2 Yak-42 and 1 or 1 Tu-204/14.

Stefan
Nobody is perfect - not even a perfect fool.

JakTrax

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention it's a Saturday-only place! My images are from Saturday 12th January 2006, and although Soviet types are rare indeed now, the pace and amount of traffic I believe remains much the same.

During my last visit I spent two weekdays out there and let me tell you, it got tedious!

Karl

boquera

Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:54 pm

cheers jax, i know the feeling....although MAN has fairly regular traffic it gets quite dull as you prob know.

i need to be back on the sunday and Thomsonfly flights are monday fri, sat (but too early to get a decent days photography-unfortunate as it looks quite decent) and sun so im gonna avoid it this time and poss go Frankfurt for a few days. Flights on LH are £100 so i think il do that-you know of the spots at FRA and how to get to them?

cheers

[Edited 2009-02-19 14:56:08]

JakTrax

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:08 pm

Know FRA very well - contact me via one of my images and I'll discuss all details with you.

P.S. Good idea to leave SZG if you can't be there on a Sat - only day worth bothering and with all Soviet types banned it's definately not what it used to be.

Karl