koryo

Gimp Or Photoshop

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:52 am

I have some photos to edit and I was wondering what features Gimp and Photoshop both have and what features Photoshop uniquely has. I leaning towards using Gimp because its freeware but if there are some significant differences I will probably shell out the money and buy Photoshop.

Thanks in advance,
Koryo  Smile

[Edited 2009-02-26 16:52:59]
This forum is as good as you make it. Never post a message in anger. Take the high road and others will follow.

SFO2SVO

RE: Gimp Or Photoshop

Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:08 am

Personally I got much better results with Photoshop - but I know there are people on this site who use GIMP quite successfully.

Given, PS is $600+ and GIMP is $0 but most tutorials and masterclasses you will find here on a.net and elsewhere are based on photoshop.

There is also good compromise: Photoshop Elements. I believe it is $99 and is often included with scanners. I once bought $49 handheld and it included a copy. Long time ago though...
318-19-20-21 332 343 717 727 737-234578 743-4 752 763 772 D9/10 M11/8x/90 F70 RJ85 ATR72 SF340 E120 TU34/54 IL18/62/86/9

JakTrax

Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:35 am

Photoshop Elements 6 contains all the tools you'll ever really need to edit images., and costs around GB£65. If GIMP was as good people on here would be using it, seeing as it's free.

Karl

spurusho

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:43 pm

I tried GIMP a long time ago, but never liked it's interface. I currently use Photoshop CS3 which is excellent. It's part of the Adobe CS3 Web Premium suite that I received as part of the software bundle when I bought my notebook.

Adobe Bridge, Camera RAW and Photoshop are all excellent and indispensible for me.

SNATH

Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:03 pm

I've used Gimp to edit most of my shots here, but I recently moved to Photoshop. The problem I found with the Gimp was that, when resizing shots, it would introduce jaggies and further sharpening would make the jaggies worse. So, I spent a long long time dealing with jaggies and I was sick of it.

After switching to Photoshop, I get considerably fewer jaggies (if any) during the editing process. And it's of course much much much more powerful. (Funnily enough, I've been struggling to get anyting accepted after the move! Maybe I'm still getting used to it...)

Regarding Elements: it's a no-go for me, given that it doesn't have layer masks.

But, of course, you can't argue with the price of the Gimp.  Smile

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

zwaving

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Re; Photoshop and Gimp. I despise the Gimp interface and got sick of Elements so I purchased a teachers version of PS. Guess What? I am now back to Corel Paint Shop Pro-Photo that I started with in 1991. Got the upgraded version XI and am a happy camper.
Save a lot of money, have a program do what you want it do to in a logical manner and do 90% of what PS will do for under 100 Dollars. The layering is simple and no matter what you do, it does not touch the original untill you want it to. Great program and cheap.
Speaking of cheap. Google has a free program for you called Picasso. try it and I guarantee
you will like it as well as the free price tag. It is not a cheap program, it is just free.
There is no free lunch!

YXD172

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:48 pm

While I can't compare the two because I've never tried photoshop, I recommend giving GIMP a try. Personally I find the interface quite good, although initially it was a bit confusing (although I assume that the same would be true with PS). From what I've seen so far, most of the functions found in PSE (at least those mentioned in the tutorials and masterclasses) are also in GIMP, although some user-friendly features such as action recording are missing.

In the end it's really a matter of personal preference. I've managed to get a few photos on here with GIMP and I really like the program, but PS seems to be the overwhelming favourite here. You might as well try GIMP and the trial version of PSE and go with whichever you like best.

Jon
Radial engines don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory!

whisperjet
Crew

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:52 pm

I would go for some older version of PSE. I bought photoshop elements 1.0 years ago and I still use it pretty often, though I also have CS3 now to edit from RAW. Elements has everything you need to edit planepictures from jpg and as most people here use a version of it you'll mainly find information about editing with this program.

Stefan
Nobody is perfect - not even a perfect fool.

justAL

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:22 am

Personally I've been using GIMP after forgetting to take my copy of CS3 home one night. It caught me out once with layers but I've sinced learned the interface and it's quite an intuitive tool.

Hernan

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:32 am

Picasa3 from Google works great , it is easy and free! For more intensive editing such as Unsharp Mask I click on my Zom Browser, from my Canon Cameras, Hernan