pegasus989

Best Software

Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:41 am

I will be very grafteful if you may tell me the best software available for photo editing.

oly720man

RE: Best Software

Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:59 am

How much money have you got to spend?

Lots of people use Photoshop, but it costs a lot.

At the other extreme there's GIMP which is free. And there are plenty of other products in between. Serif has its Photo processing software that it markets as the competitor to PS and is cheaper. Other people swear by Helicon filter which can be had for free. Some people have been known to use different software to do different processing stages (or so I've read)

GIMP
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Helicon filter
http://www.brothersoft.com/helicon-filter-free-39599.html
(they have a website, but it seems to be down/slow at the moment)
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Moose135

Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:25 pm

A lower cost alternative to PS is Photoshop Elements. It's quite a bit cheaper than the full version, and while it doesn't have all the features, for most anything you need to do for basic photo editing, it is plenty.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

cpd

Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:45 am

Photoshop costs a lot, but it woks very well. It's also great if you intend to do other things with it (like web-design).

I strongly dislike the CS4 interface - but will likely upgrade everything to CS4 only so as not to drop off the edge of the upgrade cycle.

scbriml

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:20 am

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 1):
Lots of people use Photoshop, but it costs a lot.

It can be purchased at very high discounts without trying too hard.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

cpd

Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:05 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 4):
It can be purchased at very high discounts without trying too hard.

Where?

I'd like to find a cheaper way to upgrade to CS4 Master Collection from CS3 Web Premium + InDesign CS3. The Australian Adobe store is a ridiculous ripoff. The only apparent upgrade path will still cost AUD$3235.

zwaving

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:28 pm

I believe I have tried them all and for my money,( it is free) Google Picasso is a wonderfull program for editing but especially for organizing if you have a large volume of photos.If you have purchased a good grade printer from HP lately, you will find a premium photo editing
program right on the installation disc. My personal experience as a non-professional who is
not into making CS a lifestyle learning curve, I prefer Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo. It will do all the editing, layering and morphing you will ever want to do. Clean up the acne scars on your daughters face or wipe out the scars on your tummy. It does a great job on collages
and portrait effects. It comes with a free trial and to purchase is under 100 bucks. By the way, if you want to do web albums, Picasso has a killer and also for free. Another program that I have worked with is ACDsee. Costs about 40-50 Dollars but has a very attractive interface and is the easiest to get up to steam and working because it handles your files very well as well as allowing you to work your files such as creating new or sub-files on the main frame while in the program. That comes in handy sometimes. Last words of advice,
If you want a program that catches you in an upgrade cycle forever while still trying to learn
the last upgrade then purchase Photoshop because it is the best. Notwithstanding our buddy from Scotland saying there are discounts and who would question a Scotsman about money, I have not heard of any legitimate great discounts. If you want to play with your photos. make them look better or make them look like something else and have a limited
budget, purchase Corel Paint Shop Pro-Photo, they have been doing this since we were in the double disk IBM PCs.
There is no free lunch!

scbriml

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 5):
Where?

Plenty of places online. All you have to do is search.  smile 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

GPHOTO

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:56 pm

I'm still using Photoshop Elements Version 3.0. That's an old program by todays standards but it does everything you need to get photos uploaded here. You can pick up cheap, used copies on ebay.

Best regards,

Jim
Erm, is this thing on?

Buyantukhaa

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:22 pm

Quoting Zwaving (Reply 6):
Google Picasso is a wonderfull program

You mean Picasa, right?

Does anybody know if Elements is also available for Linux? If not, which is the best editor for Linux?
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

DenLaw

Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:46 pm

Adobe Light Room is very powerful as well  Smile I happen to see you can get the same effect and boost with only 1 click in LR you get in PS with hard work. But I strongly recommend to use PS for the LR post process.
-I am globalized-

andrewuber

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:15 pm

I shoot RAW, so I use LightRoom and Photoshop CS3. In the past I used Capture One and CS2 - and those worked fine - but I find LightRoom is way easier.

Someday I hope to move up to Aperture... but I need a new computer first!

Drew  wave 
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

fergulmcc

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:06 pm

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 11):
Someday I hope to move up to Aperture... but I need a new computer first!

Bought it and I still keep moving back to PS CS4, The jury is out on this one for me.

Later

Fergul  sun 
Zambian Airways, Where the Eagles fly free!!

YXD172

Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:50 am

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Reply 9):

Does anybody know if Elements is also available for Linux? If not, which is the best editor for Linux?

It only seems to be available for Windows and Mac, but if you use WINE some versions supposedly work (http://wiki.winehq.org/AdobePhotoshop)

If not I would personally recommend GIMP, it's a great editor (if you like the interface) and works in Linux. There are probably a few other programs as well, I think Picasa has a beta version for Linux at the moment.

Jon
Radial engines don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory!