koryo

Spotting Horror Stories

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:30 am

We all have our great spotting days, but some days just don't go well from Rent-A-Cop encounters to equipment malfunctions fell free to share your stories.  bigthumbsup 
This forum is as good as you make it. Never post a message in anger. Take the high road and others will follow.

cpd

RE: Spotting Horror Stories

Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:50 am

Only bad days are when the weather doesn't cooperate and every photo is ruined by heat haze.

The security people around Sydney are no problem - they are usually friendly and will leave you alone. Only encounter I had with them was on SQ A380's inaugural flight into Sydney.

They were interested in my camera and lens and were quite incredulous when the crowd parted to make way for me.  Smile

It's surprising how many times you'll be asked by travellers for photo advice/help - the classic being, my camera did this - how can I stop that from happening.  Wink

Chukcha

Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:36 am

Quoting Cpd (Reply 1):
The security people around Sydney are no problem - they are usually friendly and will leave you alone.

We are really blessed here in Australia - the paranoia of seeing a potential "terrorist" in every aviation enthusiast never really caught on in Oz.

777MechSys

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:00 am

Skybus' first flight into BLI. Royal and I waiting to take pictures of them departing. The airport manager knew where we would be. Unfortunately, it was next to a hangar being used as a base of operations for Homeland Security. Needless to say, it was not a good day for us.

dazbo5

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:33 am

I can't say I've had any bad days. You are there to enjoy a day out and hopefully grab a few nice photo's so you make the most. It beats working!

I've only had a couple of issues in the last few year. Maybe 'issues' is the wrong term. I've been stopped at Manchester a couple of times by Police but they're generally a friendly bunch and you just have a chat about things with them and they go on their way. I've been searched once because they thought my monopod may have been a weapon!! I've no problems with the police because they are only doing their job; and that's to keep us safe.

My latest run-in with them was when I was working in the northeast in January. While I was driving up there (it's not somewhere I normally get to), I stopped at Humberside airport on my way past. Movements and access are limited so I only stayed about 30 minutes, but got a few nice frames. While Iwas parked there, a police officer started to walk towards the car while on his moble phone. I was sure he was coming to talk to me. He just walked straight past. I heard nothing more until I got back home later in the week and I had a message to call Humberside Police. Very strange I though. Anyway, the officer who walked past me had PNC'd me (car registration) for my details and check-up on who I was and wanted to know what I was doing and why I was there. Why he didn't just ask me on the day is bejond me. Well, I had to give a formal statement to the police as to the reasons for my actions as they had me on CCTV for 30 minutes acting 'suspiciously'. It wasn't a problem, there was no action taken (not like I was doing anything wrong) other than having to give the statement. That was more of a hassle than anything, and I can appreciate they are only checking up and keeping people safe. But I couldn't understand why the officer didn't just ask on the day and it would have prevented the rest.

I suppose I had a bad day last thursday; I stopped off at Blackpool to get a photo of the lunchtime Dublin flight (bear in mind that is the only highlight of the day!) and I missed the ATC chat on the radio somehow and it was too late to get out the car by the time I realised it was 5ft over the runway  banghead 

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

Stealthz

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:45 am

Quoting Dazbo5 (Reply 4):
because they thought my monopod may have been a weapon!!

Like most at SYD, had few horror days but once when the 16L approach mound still existed the Security guys (inside the fence) asked if I would mention to the folks parked up on the mound that they shouldn't park there vehicle up there.
The driver responded by demonstrating that his vocabulary was limited to four letter words but his passenger felt that a more physical response was warranted... only by changing the grip on my monopod and making it into a weapon(a Manfrotto 457B with video head) did he back down.

On another, non Av, occasion I was photographing harbour lights around the Sydney Opera house.
When using a tripod I tend to carry it with camera attached and semi collapsed in the crook of my arm somewhat like a hunting rifle. I was approached by a police officer who understood my interest and was indeed going to return on his next free night to photograph the same scene but respectfully asked if I would, in future, carry my equipment less like a weapon.

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

conoramoia

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:50 am

At a small airport in Ireland(Galway) I was spotting in a field of which I knew the owner and after about an hour a fire brigade jeep and truck made their way to the fence.They both stopped for a minute then the jeep continued for a bit and it had to stop again because it nearly got stuck in mud,so the man came out and asked me what I was doing,but it came as no surprise.....I'd do the same if I saw a fifteen year old standing in a field pointing a long lens at a plane.It turned out that a couple of years before that people entered the airfield and obviously got caught.He told me that ATC had noticed me.I told him that I knew an ATC controller(truth!!)and so he asked me security questions and went on his way!!
I was just surprised that they sent out the fire brigade!!

cpd

Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:22 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 5):
Security guys (inside the fence) asked if I would mention to the folks parked up on the mound that they shouldn't park there vehicle up there.
The driver responded by demonstrating that his vocabulary was limited to four letter words but his passenger felt that a more physical response was warranted... only by changing the grip on my monopod and making it into a weapon(a Manfrotto 457B with video head) did he back down.

Ah yes - the Manfrotto monopod, they are so useful.  

My 685B is similarly robust (and has a pointy end on it). I imagine it could be a nasty weapon if needed. Fortunately I've not had any encounters like what you've described.

I do dislike the jet-ski riders on the water who go blasting past at close range.  bomb 

[Edited 2009-03-01 04:25:59]

Flyingfox27

Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:39 pm

The only disaster i had while spotting at Gatwick was when i left my scanner behind and found out when i got home!..... D'OH lol, luckily i was planning on getting it replaced anyways back then.

Stealthz

Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:58 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 7):
I do dislike the jet-ski riders on the water who go blasting past at close range.

LOL, I use them for panning practice... do get some nasty looks in return though!!

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

dazbo5

Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Further to my post above, I've just been stopped by the police driving home from work! Aparently, after the Humberside airport incident I mentioned above, a marker has been put on my car registration and it triggered an ANPR alarm when I drove past his police car. He stopped me to ask what I was doing, where I'd been etc and check on my details. I explained everything has been dealt with and there's no problem so he's asked for the marker on my registration to be removed otherwise he said I'd get stopped everytime I drive past an ANPR equiped police car!

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

LH526
Crew

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:46 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 5):
On another, non Av, occasion I was photographing harbour lights around the Sydney Opera house.
When using a tripod I tend to carry it with camera attached and semi collapsed in the crook of my arm somewhat like a hunting rifle. I was approached by a police officer who understood my interest and was indeed going to return on his next free night to photograph the same scene but respectfully asked if I would, in future, carry my equipment less like a weapon.

Had the same thing happen in a governmental / parliamental district. My Manfrotto was malfuncitoning at this time with one leg lock being loose and so allowing for the leg to extend by gravity ... i shouldered the tripod with a strap like a rifle unaware that one leg went loos rendering the Manfrotto to look like a snipers rifle from a distance .. I soon got approached by 3 soldiers and yels, I was thrown to the ground and had 200lbs of marine manforce on my back ... the misunderstanding turned out second splits later and I was free to go  Smile

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

Daleaholic

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:47 pm

Quoting Dazbo5 (Reply 10):

What a pain in the ass!

Good of him to get it removed for you though!
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

Brasila684

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:27 pm

I was spotting F-16's taking off at KFAT, and a cop pulled up. Ok, I thought, there just going to ask us what we are doing and leave us alone. WRONG. He told me he did not care what I was doing, if I didn't leave he was going to confiscate my camera and put me in handcuffs.

Brasila684

SkyWest Baby!!

JakTrax

Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:30 pm

I drove out to MAN (from Stoke) last week for the KLM retro-jet, giving myself plenty of time. I arrived at the viewing park 20mins before the due time, only to see it taxiing off the runway just as I got through the gates. Needless to say, I wasn't in a position for a photo and the damn thing was in full sun!

Karl

G-CIVP

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:46 pm

One from LHR. I was waiting with my then partner in crime, for the Air New Zealand B744 in the 'Lord of the Rings' scheme on the northside of LHR. It was near the 3.00pm runway switch, so we were trying to decide whether it would take 27L or 27R, by counting these aircraft in the queue for take-off, calculating that there would be a 2 minute gap betwen departures and doing the maths.

Needless to say, there was a lot of 'will it, won't it'. Got no idea why we weren't listening to a radio (although this would be illegal in the UK) but if I recall correctly, we were gambling on a 27R departure. As we both worked Monday to Friday, it was now or never as the 'Lords of the Rings' scheme was quite elusive at the weekend.

Anyway, we saw the Air NZ head towards the southside on the outer taxi-way, at which point, we ran like possessed men across the perimeter road, get in the car and tear around the perimeter road to Cains Lane and cross the A30 to get the shot on 27L.

Did we succeed, yes and no. There was moderate sun and those photos which did have sun on, had a touch of glare! So a half victory but one of the more memorable near misses and the obligatory 'why do we bother' conversations.

spencer

Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:16 pm

Only real nightmare was the final day the three Concordes landed at LHR. The security wouldn't let us near the fence which was kind of weird considering the locations some people managed to access! Anyway, these guys really were rent-a-cop jobsworths and dressed in their all-powerful, big-I-am yellow vests made it quite hard work getting any decent ground shots. Truly another waste of British tax-payers money! We was even told to get off the grass verge that backs onto the perimeter fence!!
Spence.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

petertenthije

Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:17 pm

One day-trip to Berlin resulted in the following list of problems:
1) Leaving by bike at 5 in the morning to go to the nearest train station 7 kms away to catch the first train to Arnhem. Only arrived barely in time to buy my return ticket due to head-wind.
2) Once in Arnhem take the bus to the Gelredome to collect the shuttle bus to Niederrhein. Waiting time over an hour since there where only 3 shuttle busses as day to NRN!
3) Flight NRN-SXF delayed by 4 hours due to fog.
4) Two hours of spotting, back to check-in again.
5) Flight SXF-NRN delayed due to fog.
6) Arrived half an hour later then the last bus back to Arnhem, thus forcing me into a hotel in Weeze.
7) Day later take the bus to Arnhem and take the train. Forgotten that my return train-ticket had expired. Had the first ticket inspection in almost 2 years (I drove that route daily for school). Needless to say I got fined.
8) And to finish it off, the bike had been stolen from the train station!

The funnier side of spotting is having a junior German police officer ask a background check over the radio. He did the full phonetic alphabet (Papa, Echo, Tango, Echo......). Me and the senior officer where laughin our heads of, as my full name if well over 40 letters long! The senior officer mentioned they wanted to arrange some sort of initiation ceremony for her, but he felt that would no longer be required!

Speaking of having fun with my full name. At LHR I was stopped and questioned by a police officer for section 44/2 of the 2000 Terrorism act! The officer was well impressed with my identification card, muttering that the UK should introduce something similar. He was so impressed the idiot wrote down my christian names instead of my family name! The ID-card is in Dutch and English so really he should have known better.

[Edited 2009-03-01 12:19:32]
Attamottamotta!

Sketty222

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:08 pm

I dont have any bad ones really....mostly just not arriving at NCL in time to view the arriving EK A330

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 15):
Got no idea why we weren't listening to a radio (although this would be illegal in the UK)

really???
There's flying and then there's flying

oly720man

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:54 pm

My only technical problem of note was with the old film camera when I managed to use the same film twice and got some interesting double exposures.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/oly720man/double.jpg

Of historical interest, the Tradewinds B707, G-BNGH, was operating for Air Hong Kong. The BA B747 was one of the ex-BCAL machines G-NIGB. I think the ATA B727 was operating for Air Malta. (November 1989.)

(And no, I don't seem to throw anything away... might come in useful one day.)
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

koryo

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:22 am

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 19):

Do you have more of those they look very interesting.  Smile
This forum is as good as you make it. Never post a message in anger. Take the high road and others will follow.

Ryan h

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:21 am

Oly720man, that double exposure looks a bit spooky.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

oly720man

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:25 am

Quoting Koryo (Reply 20):
Do you have more of those they look very interesting.

A whole film of them!! Damn. And looking through the db there are no pictures of G-NIGB in BA colours. I'll scan some more tonight.

G-CIVP

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:26 am

Sketty222 - In context, I meant VHF communications rather than commercial radio. As you are probably aware, there is a law in the UK that states that the receipt of broadcasts between aircraft and ground stations by unlicensed persons is illegal, although it does go on. I think it's one of the reasons why live radio feeds via the web, e.g. for LHR ATC broadcasts, are unavailable.

I'm sure if I had posted the original post in the Civil Aviation forum someone would have gone 'tut, tut' for radio abuse, so I qualified the comment.

Sketty222

Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:45 am

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 23):
Sketty222 - In context, I meant VHF communications rather than commercial radio. As you are probably aware, there is a law in the UK that states that the receipt of broadcasts between aircraft and ground stations by unlicensed persons is illegal, although it does go on. I think it's one of the reasons why live radio feeds via the web, e.g. for LHR ATC broadcasts, are unavailable.

Hehe, I know you meant VHF and that you weren'tjust listening to Radio4 or something Big grin

Is it illegal to listen to ATC via an airband radio though? I thought it was just illegal to listen to Police and Emergency Services bands
There's flying and then there's flying

oly720man

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:08 pm

Quoting Sketty222 (Reply 24):
Is it illegal to listen to ATC via an airband radio though? I thought it was just illegal to listen to Police and Emergency Services bands

It is illegal to listen in on any broadcast that isn't "public", i.e. radio stations.

And it is definitely illegal to relay such information. Which is why the ACARS and SBS websites aren't UK based, and there's no "live ATC" for UK airports.

FYODOR

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:46 pm

I guess I've already told about this case at forum but it was few years ago.

There were Soviet times I've started with spotting (those days I'd no any ideas what spotting is actualy - we had no this word in Russia). And Soviet time was not friendly to photographers at all. There were few times I was taken to police station and twice - that were KGB guys. I think it happened at 1989 - not too much tough time in compare with what we had even 2-3 years before it. However photography at airports was not welcome independely of slow democratic changes.

I was staying close to the rwy - it was excellent place for spotting then. A guy had come close to me and had started to watch the planes as well. After few minutes he'd finally asked:
- Do you like planes? (Oh, that's known special servises' style - to be so kind at the begining  Wink )
- Yeh, I do, - I'd replied.
- Enjoing photos? Good point?
- Yeh, indeed.
- What for are you doing that?
- For myself...
- Ok, (he showed me KGB ID then) and now it is time to go with me.
I was quite a young man - just 16 years old and indeed I was a bit frightened indeed. I'd got some stories with airport police few times before, but KGB - that was new experience.  Wink Actually nothing realy bad was happened. First - the guy was proved as low rank officer. Second - he'd brought me to the well known police station. The lady - duty chief police officer at the airport was too much busy with some just arrested crimes. Seems she had recognized my face and had asked the guy what had I done. He had explained and she had become quite angry but more about him than me  Smile :
- Can you see - I'm very busy now? - she had asked.
- But... But we have to make report on him!
- Record his passport data and kick him out of the airport now!
So, I was 'recorded' and escorted to the bus station - 20 meters from police's doors. Had lost about 30-40 minutes only. The most surprising for me was that he had forgotten to spoil my film - it was obligatory for such cases. So - just a little bit of troubles and happy end  Wink

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Fyodor Borisov - Russian AviaPhoto Team

G-CIVP

Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:20 pm

Sketty222 - I think we would have had more luck listening to Radio 4 on that day.

Now, time for another story. Peter's adventure reminded me of the time we went to AMS in January 1999 by...mini-bus. Don't get jealous now!

Background. My new year resolution was to do as much photography and as many trips as possible. I had seen an advert with a well known British aviation tour company which was offering a day out to the Netherlands, including AMS, Rotterdam and WOE. Out on Friday night via Dover on the ferry to Calais and back late Saturday I thought 'great', get the NWA B744 at AMS, see what's newish at WOE.

Got to Hatton Cross, the pick-point at 10.00pm on a Friday night. We were expecting a small-coach, at least some modicum of luxury but got a mini-bus. Perhaps the first bad omen of things to come.

Anyway, I think the tour organisers (and I for that matter) misjudged the north European weather at this time of year. When we arrived at Dover, the mid-night sailing, i.e our sailing, to Calais was cancelled due to the choppy and stormy conditions in the English Channel. We eventually got going around 4.00am and arrived in Calais at 7.00am local time. By the time we arrived at AMS, it was about 10.00am and we had to leave at 1.00pm for the drive to Calais for the return sailing to Dover. So in total 3 hours at AMS but some 11-12 in transit.

I wouldn't have minded but the so-called organisers said that they could have got the Channel Tunnel at mid-night, so we had spent 4 hours on Dover Docks for no good reason.

Not that it mattered, it was cold and wet at AMS; I slipped over on the Terrace overlooking the International apron trying to get the forementioned NWA B744. (I was younger then and my never say die attitude prevailed!) I also remember hanging out the back of the mini-bus at WOE trying to get shots of the Palestine F27 in the wet to no avail.

It's amusing looking back at it. It broke up the montony of an otherwise dull January. The other lesson learnt was only to go on trips when the weather can be guaranteed with a high degree of certainity and not by mini-bus, especially if it's a 45 minute flight from London.

oly720man

Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:57 pm

By (popular) request....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/oly720man/double_2.jpg

Air Canada C-FBEM, and still flying. Cyprus A310 5B-DAS ended its days at Mojave as TC-AKP. ATP G-OLCC now G-MANH and flying newpapers. Caledonian G-BPEA now OM-ASA with Air Slovakia/RAK Airlines.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/oly720man/double_3.jpg

Emery N796FT, still flying as PP-BEX, judging by all the photos from Recife. ATA N188AT, stored Roswell in 2004. Britannia G-BGYK went to Ryanair as EI-CJG, stored BOH 2005.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/oly720man/double_4.jpg

QF B742 at the end of the pier in the background, VH-EBQ (now at the Qantas museum, Longreach), L1011 in the foreground N304EA, wfu Roswell 2004, Aeromaritime B737 F-GFUD (now EC-JTV), Dan Air 737 G-BMDF, later EI-CJI for Mr Ryan's airline then G-FIGP with EAL before standing idle at BOH.

koryo

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:43 am

Woah those are really cool but the best part is all the planes are ghosts from the past.   You should try to get a good one into the database.

Cheers,
Koryo

[Edited 2009-03-02 16:47:17]

TransIsland

Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:17 pm

While I've had a few unfriendly encounters with the Royal Bahamas Police Force and Airport Security, they don't really qualify as "horror stories." I many ways, neither does the following, but it's a major annoyance!

After work today, I am heading out to my brother's, who lives near the airport, and I usually pack my camera bag, just in case. So, today I forgot it at home, and going back to pick it up before heading out to his place would probably add 45-60 minutes to the trip. Now, usually, traffic at my airport is rather monotonous so I thought I'd check flightaware.com, to see whether it might be worth the hassle.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/WOA9201

This is what I find. A World Airways DC-10 coming in from PHL and then headed for ATL. Since I started spotting about 5 years ago, I have not SEEN a DC-10*, let alone had the chance to take a photo. And the most annoying part, the departure is scheduled too early for me to make it. Even if I had my gear with me at work, I would still be at work... grrrrmpf!

[rant over]

* well, maybe on a cargo ramp when I was looking through dirty windows while flying commercial.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

oly720man

Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:56 pm

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 30):
This is what I find. A World Airways DC-10 coming in from PHL and then headed for ATL.

And it's N136WA according to libhomeradar.com for the incoming flight
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/WOA3101

2009/03/05 13:39 WOA3101 WO3101 N136WA World Airways DC10

used to be N237NW and PP-VMW.

DenLaw

Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:15 pm

Not really a horror but still funny.
June 10 2008 Air Force One came in in Berlin Tegel TXL. A few days later I was at the Airport fully equipped with tripod cam and scanner  Smile. A group of 4 police officers came along asking what I do there. I told them it looks like i will take some pictures of the plane. So they asked me if I am an ambitioned photographer again and I told them umm yes it looks like that? So they wanted to have my personal data and my ID card to check it. Telling me don't worry nothing will happen we just need your data because the secret service and the BND want to have a detailed report about that happened around the airport while AF1 was there ....

So they saw my tripod bag asking whats in it and I should please answer truly or they will take it away to have a look... so up to that point I could hold myself back but telling me what to do although I haven't done anything was a little too much. So i told the officer "What do you think? It's a fucking rocket launcher and my cam is a laser visor! My pictures turn out to be a real grenade!" He looked at me with real big eyes starting to shout OPEN THAT BAG! Big grin So I did as I was told and he saw its a simple tripod. He didn't think it was funny.

Well after all I just told him if they would finally start to realize that spotter can help to report suspicious people around the airport we could really start to be friends. And I told him he can check me but he cannot tell me to leave or to do what he wants me to do since I am not at the airport. I was behind the fence. He was aggravated told me to stay there if they might have some more questions. So I said yes sure hurry I will only stay for as long as the plane is here.

That was my worst experience I have made so far.

So the moral of this is ? Never take away a photographer's equipment!  Smile
-I am globalized-

oly720man

Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:45 pm

Quoting DenLaw (Reply 32):
He didn't think it was funny.

Few in the world of security would, I'd imagine. You're probably fortunate they didn't haul you off there and then. How many people at airport check-in find their holiday goes no further when they "joke" about the bomb in their bag?

Quoting DenLaw (Reply 32):
So the moral of this is ?

Don't wind up security people. They might not be as nice to the next person they come to.

deaphen

Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:53 pm

Not exactly a horror story, but you guys know all those nice pictures you see of aircraft turning onto A4 at BOM to get onto RWY 27? Well here is a back view of what you guys see.

Btw, thats me in the photograph, with my new shoes and i managed to get human excreta all over them... i was pissed!

And that structure on top of the hill, is a public bathroom, while squatting, the people at the back can see your bits, since there is no door and it has a huge open hole looking over onto the taxiway, no better way to do your potty.. lol

Lots of people from around the world have been here and literally freaked,,, but hey, the view is brilliant, oh and might i add, after 26 Nov 08, you are also likely to get shot for standing there with a camera  Smile

Regards
Nitin

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/deaphen/jarimari.jpg
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

TransIsland

Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:51 pm

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 31):
And it's N136WA according to libhomeradar.com for the incoming flight
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/WOA3101

2009/03/05 13:39 WOA3101 WO3101 N136WA World Airways DC10

Thanks.  Sad

This is kinda the angle I'm missing out on - even though my lighting would not be as nice.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jens Roßbach

sebjacques92

Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:55 pm

Well it wasn't a horror story for me but it was for a friend i was spotting with. When i used to live in Prague we used to spot in a field next to RWY 24. There were always people spotting there and occasionally the police would come and just check stuff out and then take out chairs and sit with us. One officer always used to recognise me and we would occasionally chat.

So back to the story, i was with a friend who was slightly nervous about spotting and we were there right by the fence where i always used to go. The sight of the aiport security freaked him out a bit and then when a police car turned up he was tempted to get back on his bike and go. Anyway the police did their usual round and they approached us. They must have noticed my friend was nervous because one of the officers winked at me and then started asking us for documents. He kept saying if you don't have documents we are going to take you in. Knowing what he was doing i played along with it which seriously freaked out my friend.

After about a minute the officer broke out into laughter and we all had a joke about it. Im not too sure my friend knew what to do but in the end everything was fine. Apart from that i have never had anything strange happen while spotting and find that if you just be honest then you will not be bothered in any way.

Seb  airplane 

mclaudio

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:18 pm

Cheers.
Another one without an "horror story", but I have a small one.
Back in August 2004 I went to LHR just to snap a few frames and as I arrived before 3PM I went to Myrtle Avenue. When the runway changed, I walked all the perimeter road to get to the other side because I wanted to see the Concorde that was parked more or less in the middle of the way. When I arrived to the other side of the airport I was tired (damn...it seemed much closer on google earth) and there was a wall near some buildings. Great! excellent place to spot heavies with 75mm.
I didn't look to the wall and just by accident I noticed a sign on that wall and it was written there "planespotting forbidden". When I read that I immediatelly start to look for another place further down the road, when a police car enters the street. I just told myself...calm down...nothing to worry...they are just going to ask for my ID...
So I started to look for my wallet while the police car was heading towards me (planespotting under the sign saying planespotting forbidden). Well...not in this pocket...not it that pocket...sh*t...I left the wallet in my hotel...(and the police slows down near me...)...without a single ID card I was already seeing myself in the police station, so I decided to call my wife to say I might arrive a little later
Speed dial and guess what...cell phone on voicemail (pfuuu...great).
I don't have a clue on what happened, but the Police car almost stopped...the folks looked at me and left...
Not even a single word (pfuuuu....). That was damn close.
One thing I've learned. On my photography equipment check list the wallet with ID is now on the top.
Proudly one of the 6 million Portuguese that support SL Benfica!! Champions 2009-2010!

TransIsland

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:32 pm

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 30):
A World Airways DC-10 coming in from PHL and then headed for ATL.

So I come home last night and tell my wife that I missed a DC-10 at the airport, and she gives me her all-knowing nod, so I say, "Do you know what a DC-10 is?"

She: Yes.
Me: How many engines does it have?
She: Two.
Me: Nope. Three.
She: Oh, does it have a propeller at the nose, too?

rotfl 

timdegroot

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:35 pm

I once took a fantastic image here at AMS. Then I came home and I uploaded it to airliners.net. One week later it was rejected. Truly an horrific experience.

Tim
Alderman Exit

koryo

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:49 pm

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 39):

Good one, even worse your acceptance ratio took a beating.  hissyfit 

opso1

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:16 pm

I had my camera out in Kandahar getting some Sqn photos for our homecoming briefs. The US security asked firmly, whilst raising his rifle to the aiming position, to "put the weapon down"- being told once was enough!!! A 400mm lens must look just like a rocket launcher...

I got some cracking photos though...

Big grin

ANITIX87

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:35 pm

A couple of minor stories.

1) ABE - Going to catch the inaugural Allegiant flight from FLL, I drove to a public park that sits right under the approach to runway 06, about a mile from the threshold. As I pull in I hear him cleared to land and I see his landing lights. I jump out of the car, camera in hand, go to put it up to my eye, and strap gets caught on the hand-brake. Camera flies out of my hand, lands in the seat, thankfully, but by the time I have it back in my hands the plane is out of sight. I was beyond angry.

2) EWR - Spotting with NikV69, we'd been waiting all day for the MH 777 from ARN. We'd seen some interesting stuff, and the sun was starting to go down, so the light was perfect. We see the plane come in, I put the camera to my eye, focus, press the shutter, and....nothing. The battery died at the instant I went to take the picture.

3) JFK - Inaugural EK A380 flight. We went to NikV69's "suicide spot" along Rockaway Blvd. Great day, nice weather, warm, etc. We hear "Emirates 380 Super-heavy cleared to land 22L." We are in the perfect spot and hear her coming. Then we see her over the trees and start snapping away, just as the clouds decide to come in and ruin the light. Then, 10 minutes after she lands we are at the mounds with some other spotters and the sun comes back in full force. Perfect light before and after, but clouds ruined the shot when it mattered.

4) ZRH - Spent 3 hours on the train, and Alejandro and Braulio spend even more time in the car so that we could meet for some spotting. Sure enough, it was dark, rainy, and cold all day. Thankfully, some shots were salvageable, but not the LX A340s or 330s and certainly not the private 727 that came in right over my head.

So, nothing legally scary yet. Knock on wood.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

2H4

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:36 pm

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 38):
So I come home last night and tell my wife that I missed a DC-10 at the airport, and she gives me her all-knowing nod, so I say, "Do you know what a DC-10 is?"

She: Yes.
Me: How many engines does it have?
She: Two.
Me: Nope. Three.
She: Oh, does it have a propeller at the nose, too?

She should be a news anchor.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

koryo

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:56 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 43):

That is better than most I have seen recently on the news actually.  scratchchin 

michlis

Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:56 pm

Not so much of a nightmare, but i had an amusing incident today while spotting at Pease in Portsmouth, NH. A Coast Guard Guardian flew in and stopped at the FBO...it looked like one of the crew was in need of a pit stop because only one person got out and the aircraft continued to run. After the crewman returned to the aircraft it taxied past where I was set up and I snapped a series of photos all the while the pilot giving me the sunglasses stare...even as he was rounding the hammer-head to taxi onto the runway he craned his next around looking at me.

Ten minutes later an SUV from the Pease Development Authority stopped on the opposite side of the fence where I was standing and the driver got out and asked me what I was doing? I went through the usual spiel that I was spotting and that this is my hobby. He told me that the pilot of the Guardian called into the tower that someone was photographing by the fence, so he (the driver) had to come out and check it out. The guy tried for about 5 minutes to get my contact information (didn't give it to him) then he tried to get my full name (didn't give it to him). I eventually just gave him my first name so that he could record it in their "incident" log. I noted to the guy that a bunch of do a lot of photography from this site and the military (New Hampshire Air National Guard) see us there when the tankers taxi by and they have no problem with it. He said the pilot of the Guardian was from Otis AFB where there is no photography allowed so he probably wasn't used to seeing photographers near the fence. A bit annoying to say the least, but amusing nonetheless.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.

koryo

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:49 pm

Quoting Michlis (Reply 45):

It is good to hear that he was understanding about the situation and did not tell you to leave as soon as he got there.

rg828

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:41 am

Oh, nothing serious.
Just held in detention once in GRU for 7 hours, after being reported by rent-a-cops in their break for ´acting suspiciously´ in a restaurant that overlooked an apron (I had a bag full of camera eqpt, a radio scanner, and wore shades and a baseball cap. I´m not the smiling type either!)
Was strip-searched and stood seminaked in front of about 8 officers who wanted to find the faintest reason to arrest me. Not finding any, they charged me with ´radio piracy,´ confiscated my Radio Shack scanner (that a Police expert said I had modified to receive aircraft comms!) and I was out on a US$20 bail. 2 years later the charge was dismissed and the money returned.
What was painful to see though was the total internal incompetence of the Brazilian Federal and Civil Police Depts.
I dont know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

Drewski2112

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:03 am

I was at BFI on a windy day at Midfield Airpark. I stepped out of my car with the car door in front of me to get a shot of a biz jet that was already 1500 feet or so in the air when the wind caught the car door and slammed my camera in my right eye socket which lead to a semi black eye for about three days.

Oh, and dropping your camera bag always leads to a bad day of spotting.

dlednicer
Crew

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:58 am

-I carried a tripod for two and a half weeks through Morocco so that I could shoot the inside exhibits at Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace at Le Bourget on my way home. I got to the museum and was told that I was not allowed to use the tripod, even as a monopod. The exhibit halls were just as dark as I feared. I ended bracing the camera against whatever was available, but some shots could only be done hand held. Somehow, I managed to get a few usable shots shooting hand held at speeds as low as 1/4 of a second.

-Getting to the China Aviation Museum at Datangshan and finding it fogged in. Also, going into a hangar at Datangshan filled with rare piston-engined fighters (La-7s, La-9s, etc) and finding there was barely enough light to see, let alone photograph.

-Waking up on my day to go to the Polish Aviation Museum in Cracow and finding a blizzard outside.

-Getting to the Vietnam Air Force Museum in Hanoi and finding it closed for renovations. I begged, but the guard wouldn't let me in - he finally tapped his rifle to let me know who was in charge. I went back a year later and got my chance.

-Shooting all the aircraft at the Steven Udvar-Hazy center with the ISO set on "HI" and not noticing as I was too busy talking to a friend who is a curator there. I went back and shot them again two years later and got so busy talking to a fellow photographer (Mark Carlisle) that I came very close to missing my flight home.