moderators
Crew

Photo Search Update Today

Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:40 am

Hey folks,

We're going to be rolling out an update to the photo search engine today. We're moving away from our pure database approach and migrating to a dedicated search application (solr, powered by lucene).

There are a few options in the drop downs in the photo index (airlines, aircraft, location) that will temporarily be bringing back zero results. After we launch this update, we'll be tweaking the settings there to improve things.

Performance and reliability will be greatly improved. Over time, we'll also see improved accuracy of the search results will as we tweak both the settings and how we store our data.

Related to this - we will no longer be displaying the number of estimated search results before a search occurs. This was one of the factors contributing to higher load on the system during peak traffic. Depending on how things go, we may be able to bring it back eventually, but we'd like to roll this out with as few issues as we can.

Questions and comments are welcome. Feel free to report airlines and aircraft that are non-functional after we announce the code push, and we'll try to get them working again ASAP.

For those of you that would like to know more about it, check out

http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/

This has been uploaded to the servers and released across the site. Further updates are available in the Site Related Forum.
Please use moderators@airliners.net to contact us.

koryo

RE: Photo Search Update Today

Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:43 am

Hopefully this will make airliners.net a better site, keep up the good work Moderators and I am looking forward to the new changes.
Also user photo albums are not working

Cheers,
Koryo

A quick side note: user photo albums are saying no results when you click on them, a possible glitch?

[Edited 2009-03-04 18:47:28]
This forum is as good as you make it. Never post a message in anger. Take the high road and others will follow.

cal764

Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:51 am

Quoting Moderators (Thread starter):
eel free to report airlines and aircraft that are non-functional after we announce the code push, and we'll try to get them working again ASAP

I have been unable to find any listing for White Plains - Westchester County airport under New York state, yet am able to see the photos after a search for " HPN ."
1. Fly to Win 2. Fund Future 3. Reliability 4. Work Together CO: Work Hard, Fly Right...

koryo

Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:01 am

Also, when getting results from a search when putting them in order of "latest additions first" it puts them in "oldest additions first" order.
This forum is as good as you make it. Never post a message in anger. Take the high road and others will follow.

dazbo5

Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:26 am

Quoting Moderators (Thread starter):
Performance and reliability will be greatly improved.

Thanks for all your hard work, it's a great improvement  bigthumbsup 

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

jorge1812

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:58 am

The results are now showing 25 pics per page. Is this standard now and can user change the number of pics somewhere? Would like to have it back to 120 per page.

georg

leperkuhn

Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:17 pm

Quoting Koryo (Reply 1):
A quick side note: user photo albums are saying no results when you click on them, a possible glitch?

This will be fixed today.

Quoting Jorge1812 (Reply 5):
The results are now showing 25 pics per page. Is this standard now and can user change the number of pics somewhere? Would like to have it back to 120 per page.

I'll have it remember your last setting and make that the default.

leperkuhn

Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:21 pm

Quoting Koryo (Reply 3):
Also, when getting results from a search when putting them in order of "latest additions first" it puts them in "oldest additions first" order.

I haven't been able to duplicate that - can you try again? I tried from the search box and from the photo index, both are working correctly. Can you post a URL for me? Thanks.

Jez

Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:19 pm

A 'most popular' search for the last 24hrs from the homepage link does not appear to list them by most popular (i.e. number of views).

ANITIX87

Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:10 pm

When clicking on a Registration, it brings back images of that plane. However, when clicking the C/N number, it shows all images in the database. When clicking the airport, it yields no results. This has happened on a few images, but not all.

After searching C/N: http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...?cnsearch=2081&distinct_entry=true

After searching airport (GVA): GVA%20%2F%20LSGG)&distinct_entry=true" target=_blank>http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...%20%2F%20LSGG)&distinct_entry=true

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

KarlADrage

Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:44 pm

Don't know if it's linked or not, but if you're looking at a set of images and choose to sort them by Reg (either A-Z or Z-A), they're sorted indiscriminately and not by reg at all.
Cheers,

derekf

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:55 pm

I've just tried a cross-data search from one of my own photos and it came back with no results found at all.
Whatever.......

koryo

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:33 pm

Quoting Leperkuhn (Reply 7):

Never mind it doesn't happen to me anymore but thanks for the attention to the matter.

Cheers,
Koryo

leperkuhn

Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:19 am

Quoting DerekF (Reply 11):
I've just tried a cross-data search from one of my own photos and it came back with no results found at all.

There's a few issues with certain locations bringing back no results - we're working on it.

Cubsrule

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:42 pm

There's a problem with some of the US regional carriers.

When I search for TransStates, I get, like I should, AX aircraft in AX house schemes (i.e. not in US Express, AA Connection, or UA Express schemes)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz
View Large View Medium

Photo © John E. Jauchler - New England Airports

When I search for American Connection, though, I get this error message:

Quote:
There were no photos in the database matching your query.

Keywords:
airline:American Connection (Chautauqua Airlines)|American Connection (Corporate Airlines)|American Connection (Trans States Airlines)
sort_order:datestamp desc
page_limit:15
page:1

When I search for United Express, it works.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kim Philipp Piskol
View Large View Medium

Photo © F. Camirand

I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more