moderators
Crew

An Important Message From The Airliners.net Crew

Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:42 pm

Changes in the operating procedures on Airliners.net

Due to the World economic recession and the associated reduction in advertising revenue which is hurting us badly, it has been necessary to change some operating procedures on http://www.airliners.net

Starting May 1st, each accepted upload will need to be paid for in the sum of US$0.10 and to accommodate this, all members will be required to set up a PayPal account. Discounts will be available for bulk uploads so that for US$5.00 you will be allowed to have 75 images accepted. We are working on setting up the exact pricing scheme - we will make this available next week when we will also be giving out some more details on how the new system will work. All upload limits will be removed for all members so you can upload as much as you want!

A 25% discount will be made available to those with First Class or Premium membership and Photo Sales, which are soon to be resumed, may be used for photo upload fees at twice their face-value rate.

In addition, we will be introducing a Premium Photography Membership or "First Class Photographer". For a one-time fee of $25 you will get personal rejection help and your pictures will be screened as part of a seperate and faster queue. Each of you will have a screener assigned to you who will always be available to answer your questions in detail. Regular photographers will have to wait a little longer for their photos to be screened and will most likely not receive any personal messages anymore. We hope you understand that our screener's time is limited and we need to prioritize, which means giving our time to paying members first.

We realize this change may not sit well with some of you but hope that most of you will understand the need for it in these difficult times and we hope to revert to the previous operating basis as soon as economic conditions allow. Understand that we needed to do this, as the site may not have survived otherwise.

If anyone has thoughts, questions, etc. please don't hesitate to post them here.

Sincerely,

The Airliners.net Crew
Please use moderators@airliners.net to contact us.

dvincent

RE: An Important Message From The Airliners.net Cr

Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:52 pm

Oh woe is me! A.net is going to be taking all of my hard earned money. That's the job of the government!

[Edited 2009-03-31 11:00:10]
From the Mind of Minolta

Moose135

RE: An Important Message From The Airliners.net Crew

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:03 pm

Quoting Moderators (Thread starter):
If anyone has thoughts, questions, etc. please don't hesitate to post them here.

My first thought is that this message is one day early - tomorrow is April 1st...
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Stil

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:09 pm

Starting May 1st, each accepted upload will need to be paid

Do you mean pictures ACCEPTED from 1st March or pictures UPLOADED from 1st March?

And my thoughts are it's not fair to ask for any payment for something is not fully operative...

Stil

[Edited 2009-03-31 11:15:44]
....... Gueropppa! ......

michlis

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:11 pm

Moose135 has a point...tommorow is April 1st. If this is not in jest, I wager that this will create a bigger ruckus than last year's TOU?

[Edited 2009-03-31 11:11:49]

[Edited 2009-03-31 11:12:39]
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.

JohnJ

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:15 pm

Considering (based on the number of shots accepted today) that this would generate less than $100 a day for the site, I'm throwing my hat in the April Fool's ring.

Jetfreak

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:15 pm

i really hope that it's a joke    ! why should airliners.net be affected by the World economic recession?

[Edited 2009-03-31 11:19:29]

deaphen

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:20 pm

Haha.... i actually believed it for a few seconds.... im glad to see the April 1st spoof back again on a.net!

Thats one sign we are going back to normalcy!

Nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

othic

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:21 pm

Quoting Jetfreak (Reply 6):

yes I hope so too
A boy learn's much more at the airport then he do at school

jumbojim747

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:26 pm

Its a day early.
Its April fools in Australia now.
Thx Anet Crew for the humour its really appreciated .
Cheers
On a wing and a prayer

Stil

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:28 pm

If it's a joke, it's of a bad taste; having in mind this is a worldwide site, and here comes people from very different cultures and doesn't know anything about 1st of April. What if everyone play jokes on his own fool's day? It'll be OK for me, as in Spain is Dec 28th and i'll laugh last...

Stil
....... Gueropppa! ......

JRadier

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:30 pm

If it's an april first joke, you're a day early for most of the world.

[Edited 2009-03-31 11:33:57]
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

slideman

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:39 pm

I sincerely hope you are having some fun at the expense of your photographers, of course if you not then I am sure the photopraphers will have the last laugh by taking their business elsewhere.

michlis

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:47 pm

On first blush it would make anyone's blood boil, but if you read it more carefully you can see how ridiculous it is: unlimited uploads for all members, personal screeners for paying members...uh huh...nice try guys and gals.  tongue 
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.

damien846

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:48 pm

I have been told "off the record" that this is true....this is why the screening has been light the last few days!  Wink

eksath
Crew

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:09 pm

How much $ to get CRAP pictures into the database bypassing the pesky screeners?

I am sure you will more money that way!
World Wide Aerospace Photography

jorge1812

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:16 pm

If this is an April 1st joke I think you will loose some photogs and 1000s of pics within hours. If not I will wait to comment till the final price-list is made.

georg

dlowwa

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:40 pm

Funny, but as mentioned above, a day too early for most of the western hemisphere....

JRadier

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:40 pm

Quoting Jorge1812 (Reply 16):
If this is an April 1st joke I think you will loose some photogs and 1000s of pics within hours.

I have to agree, this isn't helping getting me closer to airliners, if anything, it's pushing me away.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

conoramoia

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:53 pm

If this is not a joke I'll be quite annoyed!
I'm only fifteen and won't be allowed upload photos for a price as my parents will not allow it.
Even though I have only one photo uploaded I was hoping to get more this coming summer.
Recession or not people do not pay to have their photos uploaded....this will lead them to other major sites,
maybe the the negative outcome should be taught of first.

but thank you for posting this in this forum,

Conor Amoia

[Edited 2009-03-31 12:56:38]

ruudb

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:25 pm

I think if it isn't a joke, you will pull out the plug of this site, to be honest.

JohnJ

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:25 pm

As noted before, this idea isn't going to generate a lot of cash for Airliners.net. A better approach would be to charge some sum for each view a photographer gets - perhaps apply a .01 charge for each view vs. .10 for each photo uploaded. That way, a photo reaching 1000 views would cost the photog $10 - a small price to pay for decent exposure. You'd be a little out of luck should you get the top of the day with 25,000 hits or so - but hey, it's worth some serious money to get top of the day, isn't it?

EZEIZA

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:30 pm

This has to be a joke. Not a funny one, but a joke. If it isn't, bye bye airliners
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

derekf

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:36 pm

If this is a joke , it isn't funny. If it isn't a joke it's the end of the site. Who would pay to upload here?
Whatever.......

airkas1
Crew

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:43 pm

I'm calling april 1 on this  Smile
So no pink homepage this year? Big grin
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

JRadier

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:54 pm

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 21):
As noted before, this idea isn't going to generate a lot of cash for Airliners.net. A better approach would be to charge some sum for each view a photographer gets - perhaps apply a .01 charge for each view vs. .10 for each photo uploaded. That way, a photo reaching 1000 views would cost the photog $10 - a small price to pay for decent exposure. You'd be a little out of luck should you get the top of the day with 25,000 hits or so - but hey, it's worth some serious money to get top of the day, isn't it?

If the opening post wasn't sad enough, this really is.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:54 pm

Well, well how about that. A website about airliners going the way of the airlines...nickel and diming their customers.  no 

It would be very strange for an April fools joke to come a day early. DM has established things as working around California time and well, it's a day early for us in California.

If it's not a joke, seriously this will be the final nail in the coffin.  tombstone 
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Jalap

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:07 pm

I am OUTRAGED!

This is a tax, nothing more, nothing less. Now, being Belgian, I'm quite used to paying taxes. I have nothing against the principle of paying taxes, otherwise I wouldn't survive in this country.

But taxes have to be FAIR! Pay for each ACCEPTED upload?! I have an acceptance ratio of 92% so WHY should I pay the same amount as people with much lower ratios giving the screeners twice or more times the amount of work? Ok, I understand every good taxing system includes solidarity but a flat tax here will really not help stimulating us to do our own pre-screening! On the contrary, if I feel I'm being ripped off it isn't unlike that I'll try to sabotage the system by uploading masses with minor, hard to find defaults yet severe enough to have them rejected by the 2nd or 3rd screener!

I suggest: pay $0,2 per upload and another $0,2 extra when it's accepted! There you are: fair towards the high acceptance ratios yet not neglecting solidarity to make life easier for the beginners.

Yes, I understand these numbers are much lower than what you are suggesting. Therefore I would include a 2nd tax: PIXELTAX! Yes, people are uploading megabytes and megabytes! My shots are fairly small in size! Why should I pay for their megabytes? Well, I WON'T!
PIXELTAX: $0.5 per megabyte!

This is not a request.

EZEIZA

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:14 pm

Quoting Jalap (Reply 27):
I suggest: pay $0,2 per upload and another $0,2 extra when it's accepted! There you are: fair towards the high acceptance ratios yet not neglecting solidarity to make life easier for the beginners.

Sorry mate, but I suggest nothing to be paid for uploads or for acceptances. This is a hobby, and I won't ever pay a site for them to host MY photos. This is not a museum, this is a place where people show their love for aviation expressed in photographs. If airliners or any other site ever decides to charge us per upload, there will always be another one that won't, and you still have blogs, flockr, or wherever.

rgds

Jalap

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:20 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 28):
Sorry mate, but I suggest nothing to be paid for uploads or for acceptances.

So do I, I'm off to another site if this were true so as I said: my post was not a request, it was a counterjoke  

[Edited 2009-03-31 14:21:24]

VTBDflyer

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:22 pm

This is insane. I will certainly stop attempting to upload any more. I've never had anything accepted and never will at this rate. I'll go find somewhere else that won't charge for people just to upload to their site. All I can say is its a good thing I've already paid to have this forum account and don't have to dish out anymore money for a first class membership. I refuse to give anymore money to this ridiculous company.

VTBD
Fly Thai

EZEIZA

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:42 pm

Quoting Jalap (Reply 29):
So do I, I'm off to another site if this were true so as I said: my post was not a request, it was a counterjoke

oops, missed the counterjoke part Big grin

f4wso

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:48 pm

I can't say I am totally turned off by this given that it does take operating capital to maintain a quality web presence. I also like the idea that the charge is for each image accepted instead of uploaded since that will favor the photographer. Given the other costs associated with photography, this seems nominal.

Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

koryo

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:52 pm

If this is a Joke then not funny    in my book, if not yikes, I may even consider jumping ship.

Koryo

[Edited 2009-03-31 14:54:12]
This forum is as good as you make it. Never post a message in anger. Take the high road and others will follow.

EZEIZA

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:54 pm

Quoting F4wso (Reply 32):
I can't say I am totally turned off by this given that it does take operating capital to maintain a quality web presence.

With all due respect, i could not disagree more. The site makes enough money through all the ads and through fc memberships, and they make that money because of the uploaded pictures. 95% of the photographers already spend their money in order to get proper shots. Asking for more money, as little as it may be, is unacceptable. AT best, I'd suggest opening a a donations option, where whoever can donate if they wish so.

btw, I still think this is an April fools' stunt  Smile

G-CIVP

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:54 pm

Obviously everyones acceptance rate will be improving. Happy days!

f4wso

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:13 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 34):
The site makes enough money through all the ads and through fc memberships, and they make that money because of the uploaded pictures.

Is there a place where the site's balance sheet is open for view or is this an guess?

Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

EZEIZA

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:20 pm

Quoting F4wso (Reply 36):
Is there a place where the site's balance sheet is open for view or is this an guess?

A guess, but if this is a wrong guess, then 10 cents aren't going to make a difference. And if they are losing money, it's still better to ask for free will donations rather than forcing people to pay, especially with all the crap that the site has gone through until a few months ago. Now, finally things are right on track again, and something liek this would just be another punch in the face.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:20 pm

Quoting F4wso (Reply 32):
I can't say I am totally turned off by this given that it does take operating capital to maintain a quality web presence. I also like the idea that the charge is for each image accepted instead of uploaded since that will favor the photographer. Given the other costs associated with photography, this seems nominal.

I agree. I can understand, and even accept being charged such a little amount per acceptance. I pay a yearly membership fee to host images on another site. No biggie, and with my upload habits of uploading only one or two images at a time and being extremely selective with what I choose to upload, this wont end up costing me much.

HOWEVER, that little bit there about paying more for a separate queue and your own personal screener...now that sounds like a ridiculous joke!!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

je89_w
Crew

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:22 pm

Paying to upload images onto A.net? Ha, this has got to be a joke!  Smile

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:24 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 37):
A guess, but if this is a wrong guess,

Well if this thread is real and not a joke, then it would appear your guess is wrong as they emphasized that this is what is needed to keep the site alive.

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 37):
Now, finally things are right on track again, and something liek this would just be another punch in the face.

I agree with this. This will be the final straw for many that managed to stick around with one last strand of hope.

[Edited 2009-03-31 15:25:29]

EZEIZA

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:30 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 40):
Well if this thread is real and not a joke, then it would appear your guess is wrong as they emphasized that this is what is needed to keep the site alive.

true.
Howewer, if with ads and fc memberships they are still losing money ... well, tough.

Charging for uploads is bs.
I say this would not only not help if the situation were to be that bad, but it would kill the site, hence donations IMO would be a much better way to go since I believe many here are willing to help out.

but it's still a joke so all is good Big grin

SFO2SVO

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:33 pm

Glad a.net resumed the tradition of April Fool's jokes.  Smile
This one is not quite the Pink Front Page - but last year we got nothing at all!

Photo Sales, which are soon to be resumed

...and hope this one is not a joke!  Wink
318-19-20-21 332 343 717 727 737-234578 743-4 752 763 772 D9/10 M11/8x/90 F70 RJ85 ATR72 SF340 E120 TU34/54 IL18/62/86/9

Cadet57

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:53 pm

I can't believe some here think this is for real....

Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Jetsgo

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:03 pm

This just doesn't seem like an announcement that would be left to the Moderators to make though, hence why I am leaning towards an April Fools joke. Big grin
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

san747

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:04 pm

I've been a lurker on this site since I was in the 5th grade, and became a member 5 years ago. Airliners.net has been a big part of my life (because aviation is such a big part of my life), and when I got my first picture accepted in September 2006, I truly felt like part of this community.

Ever since those halcyon days of 2006-7, the site has slowly gone downhill. I've continued uploading exclusively to A.net out of a sense of loyalty, despite sustaining as low as an 18% acceptance rate at one point.

But if I'm going to be charged for my uploads, on a site that is SUPPOSED to be for the hobby of aviation photography, this might truly be the last straw for me. I can barely afford my essential expenses (because of the bad economy) and now when I have the occasional free time and gas money to indulge myself in my favorite activity, it's gonna cost me money just to have the CHANCE to share it with my fellow spotters?

I hope this is an April Fool's prank too, because if it isn't, I'll have to stop uploading here, and I'd hate to have to do that.
Scotty doesn't know...

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:22 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 43):
I can't believe some here think this is for real....

I don't think one person in here hasn't recognized the fact that this could be a joke.

Either one of the mods is working extra hard to keep the joke going, or this is indeed real. From the thread in Site Related...

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/site_related/read.main/80655/

[Edited 2009-03-31 16:26:48]

koryo

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:26 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 46):
I don't think one person in here hasn't recognized the fact that this could be a joke.

Well I have

Regards,

Koryo
This forum is as good as you make it. Never post a message in anger. Take the high road and others will follow.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:28 pm

Quoting Koryo (Reply 47):
Well I have

I know you have. That's my point. We all have.

chris78cpr

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:31 pm

Joke or not, it's in very poor taste and i imagine will make a lot of people think twice yet again about uploading here...
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII