Chukcha
Topic Author

Photo Acceptance - Post-Screening (Chukcha)

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:59 am

Hi All,

I've just received this rejection for "soft" and "dark":
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...090413_b1239208356.4196ab25576.jpg

Somehow I totally fail to see what part of image is soft or dark.

I have received a few of "dark" rejections recently, but most of them were backlit and this one isn't.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Andrei

aussie18
Crew

RE: Photo Acceptance - Post-Screening (Chukcha)

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:10 am

Rear looks quite sharp but forward part of fuselage looks soft,Jetstar.com titling for example looks quite soft.

Abit of selective sharpening but dont know about dark,if u adjusted the curves looks like it would blow the background out..

Cheers Mark.

koryo

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:15 am

The rejection reasons are pretty clear cut a quick edit yields this:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2505/spottingplacesburbankai.jpg

Koryo

[Edited 2009-04-13 23:17:58]
This forum is as good as you make it. Never post a message in anger. Take the high road and others will follow.

dlowwa

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:22 am

Quoting Aussie18 (Reply 1):
Rear looks quite sharp but forward part of fuselage looks soft,Jetstar.com titling for example looks quite soft.

That's funny, I would have said the tail is where it's soft, especially the APU exhaust cone and the stabilizers. I guess it just goes to show everyone's eyes see something different.

As to exposure, I do think it would stand to benefit from a little bit of brightening.

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/4769/20090413b12392083564196.jpg

Chukcha
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:56 am

Thanks guys.

Koryo, your version looks to me quite a bit washed out and low contrast, just look at the dry grass in the front, it looks nothing like that in reality.

Dlowwa, your version looks better, what tool did you use?

As for "soft", I see that there is no consensus  Smile .

I didn't want to brighten the shadows too much; the light was quite bright and "contrasty". I remember Mick Bajcar suggesting in one of the threads here not to brighten the shadows up too excessively, otherwise you end up with a completely unnatural look, like in Koryo's edit.

dlowwa

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:39 am

Quoting Chukcha (Reply 4):

Dlowwa, your version looks better, what tool did you use?

Image ---> Brightness/Contrast tool in Photoshop. I think I did something like +12-14 or thereabouts for brightness and maybe +2 for contrast. It didn't need much, but I think a little boost improved it a bit.

As for playing with the shadow levels, easy rule: don't. Otherwise, you will get that washed out look mentioned above.

Dana

aussie18
Crew

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:59 am

Quoting Dlowwa (Reply 3):
That's funny, I would have said the tail is where it's soft, especially the APU exhaust cone and the stabilizers. I guess it just goes to show everyone's eyes see something different.

I take back what i said,looking at the back of the aircraft it does seems soft aswell so overall its soft,JET Titling and star aswell.....eyes not focusing too well today  Smile

Cheers.

Chukcha
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:03 am

Quoting Dlowwa (Reply 5):
As for playing with the shadow levels, easy rule: don't.

It depends on how to apply it. If carefully, keeping in mind possible side effects - no problem, makes for a useful tool. It is just people often tend to overuse it.

Andrei

lufthansi

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:07 pm

First of all: I really like your shot!!! It's something different because of all the spectators in the background. And you seem to be an insider as you've been on the other side (the dark side  Wink). Well I tried an edit as well in gimp. If you save it together with your version that you presented in this thread you can easily switch between the two versions in the windows photo gallery for example. I set the black and white points and I sharpened a bit. In my eyes your picture was not soft anywhere but OK. I'm not a screener. I hope the sky is not to bright now... Here you go:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/lufthansi/20090413_b1239208356_4196ab25576e.jpg

Go on with your work!

Stephan
Life starts at take-off!

Chukcha
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:16 pm

Vielen Dank, Stephan!

The aircraft and the foreground look good in your edit, however the clouds have somewhat lost in texture.

I wasn't exactly an "insider" at the show, but I was lucky enough to have a media pass  Smile.

Andrei

clickhappy

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:32 pm

Andrei - I think the biggest issue is that it was shot in really poor light. In my mind no amount of post-processing is going to fix that.

Chukcha
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:53 pm

Royal, what exactly do you mean by "poor light"? I don't quite understand. What' was wrong with it? Bright day light, two o'clock in the afternoon... I've taken fairly good photos in much pooper conditions.

clickhappy

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:13 pm

High, mid-day sun is terrible. It creates poor exposure and harsh shadows.

On the shot you have linked to it looks like the sun was behind a cloud in the foreground, but not in the background, which was much brighter, and your camera tried to split the difference, hence the dark (and noisy) areas in your photo.

Chukcha
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:06 am

OK, Royal, I see your point.

Just had a look at the original - the contrast seems uniformly on the low side, foreground as well as background (partly because I have the contrast in my camera set a notch down), I had to give ir a boost while post-processing, and the background doesn't seem to be lit any brighter than the aircraft.

Anyway, unfortunately, at the airshow at Avalon, if you look for a perfect light you end up taking no pictures at all  Smile . The light in the morning is very harsh and high contrast. After about an hour of so into the flying program, the sun moves behind the runway, and all your aircraft are backlit. The only place they are not is in the taxiway where this A320 was...