cvervais

Visiting Boeing At Everett.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:01 pm

I'm taking a road trip next week through the Pacific Northwest from the Bay Area to Boise, to the Grand Coulee Damn, to Seattle/Everett, onto Mt St Helens to Bend and then home via crater lake.

While I'm in Seattle I'm planning on going to the Boeing plant and take the tour and see the museum. However, I notice that they're very strict and do not allow cameras or camera phones. Is there any way around this like contacting them and seeing about a permit or some sort to take pictures?

I'm fairly confident the answer is going to be no but, I wanted to make sure so that I don't miss a possibility to get some pictures. It's not everyday I get to go to this place  Smile

clickhappy

RE: Visiting Boeing At Everett.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:55 pm

Quoting Cvervais (Thread starter):
Is there any way around this like contacting them and seeing about a permit or some sort to take pictures?

No such permits exist, but even without a camera you will enjoy the tour.

jdando

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:09 am

I took the tour earlier this month. They are very serious about the no electronic equipment. Enjoy the tour, it is well worth it!

With any luck you will see some activity at Paine Field, I just missed one of the DreamLifters taking off.

cvervais

Tue May 05, 2009 3:15 am

Well, you all are of course right, the tour was amazing. I got to see the last production B744 in position just inside the door with 2 B787s behind it. One of which is the test to destruction one. There were also three more 787s in another bay. I have to say though, the inside of that building looks like the inside of a Borg cube. I have to wonder of the producers of Star Trek used the building as inspiration.

The weather could not have been better and I got some pics of OO-CBD landing. I've got a edit of one of those shots done and depending on the outcome I might work on some of the others in the series. I happened to be on the observation deck on top of the future of flight building when it was coming in. Great vantage point!

I also contributed to Boeing's bottom line by going nuts in the gift shop. I've got no more room now on top of my cabinets for airplane models in my office.

Of course I was disappointed I could not take any pictures on the tour. At one of the stops we were directly above a under construction 787 with a great angle at the raked wingtip. Alas, it will be confined to the database of my mind along with other great shots.

Overall the entire trip was great. 2700 miles of driving total in a week. I got to see both the largest building in the world by volume and the largest concrete structure in the United States, the Grand Coulee Dam.

The scenery throughout the drive was magnificent and I got some great photos of that too.

And nothing beats a pint of Hammerhead Ale at McMenamins in the evening.

dlowwa

Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 am

Glad you enjoyed the Boeing tour and the Pacific Northwest.

Life is nice up here.

Dana

cvervais

Tue May 05, 2009 3:25 am

Yup, I lived the best three years of my life in Portland. I'd move back in a heartbeat if it wasn't for me enjoying my current job as well as working for a currently stable company in this economy. Couple that with a 17 month old daughter and uncertainty isn't something I want to introduce into the mix.

But, my wife and I have set a goal of being in Portland when our daughter turns 5. I figure that will give the economy a good chance of picking up and more jobs opening up up there.