cvervais

Photo Acceptance - Post-Screening (cvervais)

Thu May 14, 2009 4:49 pm

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...5862.5668cvervais-oo-cbd_501-3.jpg

A comment from the screener regarding this upload:
"p1241715862.5668cvervais-oo-cbd_501-3.jpg rear is soft"

I know the lower rear is soft but, that's because of the exhaust from the engines. Does anyone see anywhere else I could sharpen the rear?

I also thought things were a little more lenient if it was the first image of a new airframe/reg.

cvervais

RE: Photo Acceptance - Post-Screening (cvervais)

Thu May 14, 2009 5:42 pm

dlowwa

Thu May 14, 2009 6:12 pm

Yeah, I think I mentioned before the tail/reg. looked like it needed a little sharpening. For me, it was the reg. that showed it, but also around the APU exhaust (tail cone). I don't think those would be affected by the jet wash.

Apply some selective sharpening, but be careful where and how much you apply, as I can already start to see jaggies forming on the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer in you edit.

Dana

cvervais

Thu May 28, 2009 5:59 pm

Just got this rejected....

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...4768.8827cvervais-n583ha_517-2.jpg

A comment from the screener regarding this upload:
"banding in sky over tail, overuse of shadow highlight or similar"

I equalized the image and saw the banding pretty clearly caused by the shadow/highlight adjustment. Kinda embarrassing that I did'nt do a equalize before saving to look for blemishes.  embarrased 

So, I did a complete re-edit and also adjusted the levels a bit more and I think I came up with a better edit.....

http://homepage.mac.com/cvervais/airliners/cvervais-N583HA_517-4.jpg

Should I be using this new edit to re-submit the image?

[Edited 2009-05-28 11:31:59]

cvervais

Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:47 pm

And, it got rejected. This time for QUALITY ????? and contrast. The contrast I can accept but, what's wrong with the quality?

http://homepage.mac.com/cvervais/airliners/cvervais-N583HA_517-4.jpg

cvervais

Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:46 pm

Ok, I think I've got a much better edit this time. What do you think?

http://homepage.mac.com/cvervais/airliners/cvervais-N583HA_517-5.jpg

cvervais

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:33 am

Is no feedback a good sign or a bad sign?  Smile

dlowwa

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:32 am

Quoting Cvervais (Reply 6):
Is no feedback a good sign or a bad sign?

I would generally think that no feedback means the flaws aren't obvious enough for people to immediately jump on them. I know that the feedback I'm mostly likely to give is for those photos that have glaring deficiencies that are easy to spot. Those that are less obvious I'm more likely to pass on, lest my advice be counter-productive (i.e. suggesting more sharpening when only a touch in certain areas is needed can lead to oversharpening), or not helpful.

As for your HA 763, the same kind of thinking applies I believe. I -marginally- agree with the screener's decision - the quality of the photo is not horrendous, but it's just lacking something... the plane isn't quite 'clean' enough and doesn't quite pop from the screen. I passed the first time I read your post because I didn't think there was anything definite or helpful that I could add, and I still don't think I'm being of much help. Where I really see it (or don't in this case) is along the fuselage - the windows are kind of fuzzy, and the undercarriage too - just not quite what I would expect to see on a.net.

I don't know if that's what the screeners were looking at too, but that's what I can see.

If you want, I don't mind seeing if I can come up with an edit I like better if you want to send me the original file. You still have my email, no?

Dana

aussie18
Crew

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:23 am

Checked the last edit,Jaggy edges seem to appear in places on Hawaiian titling,Rear door has jagged edges,Maybe abit dark to aswell.

Cheers Mark.

Riverwalk

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:30 am

Quoting Aussie18 (Reply 8):
Checked the last edit,Jaggy edges seem to appear in places on Hawaiian titling,Rear door has jagged edges

Yeah...it might be the slightest bit oversharpened in some areas...but other than that, I don't really see any issues with this edit  Smile

Good luck!

Shan
Next Destination: LAS on July 19th.

cvervais

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:15 am

Dana, no worries but, even saying it looks ok to you is welcome feedback.  Smile I'm never going to hold it against you or anyone if something you say looks good gets rejected.

Mark and Sean, I'll have a look at those areas and see if I can make a improvement.

Just one other thing, I'm trying to be really active on here because I want to improve and anything, anything at all you can say both good or bad is very welcome. Rejections don't bother me and I know that the vast majority of pictures I take will be thrown out. And, even if they're not a.net quality they're still good pictures to me and are welcome additions to my collection.

So, don't feel like I'm unwilling to accept criticism, I need it and crave it if I'm going to improve and it's not going to hurt my feelings. Of course hearing that you think one is good is welcome.

Anyways, back to looking at todays top of 24 hours and then back into Photoshop  Smile

cvervais

Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:56 pm

Rejected for soft with no personal message so I'm not seeing where it's soft.

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...9814.8894cvervais-n384fe_521-2.jpg

cvervais

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Back up to the top. Anyone?

acontador

Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Quoting Cvervais (Reply 11):
Rejected for soft with no personal message so I'm not seeing where it's soft.

Everywhere. If we would have to put a personal message on each picture that is completely soft, then we would all enjoy a 20,000 long queue!
Nice picture, nice light, easy fix and reupload.

Hope it helps  Smile
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

cvervais

Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:33 pm

Ah, thanks very much Acontador. I'm just trying my best to improve here and trying to get as much feedback as possible rather than guessing.  highfive 

[Edited 2009-06-18 11:35:26]