Topic Author

Special Cockpit Moments

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:22 am

What cockpits have you had the opportunity to go inside, and where and how did you get the opportunity?

For me I have been in the cockpits of 757s (COA and DAL pre-flights), A320s (JBU pre & post flights), 727 (being scrapped), Cessna Citation I (KSFB on ramp), B1900 (Sun 'n Fun on display), and most recently the KC-135.

Here is the backstory of my special cockpit shot:
On April 25th, it was 5PM and I noticed the grey tail sticking out of the crowd of airplanes. Then I told they were giving people tours of the KC-135. I finally got over there and the USAF members that were there told me the plane was closed, but if I came back tomorrow, they would reopen it again. So the next day, the 26th, I went the 80 miles back to Lakeland, only to be told the plane was closed for cleaning, but maybe they would reopen it later but it was unlikely. I then stayed by the plane all day waiting, while doing so getting the nose shot that became my second acceptance here. Around 5PM the flight crew showed up, I told them how long I was waiting, and one of them let me in (while the rest were turning everyone else away). I took a few pictures of the different part of the plane including this one. Then I got to sit left seat for a little while. Needless to say it made my day and the long rides were worth it. Big grin

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andre Klass

RE: Special Cockpit Moments

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:08 pm

I just got back from flight camp and as a result I sat in multiple cockpits. Some of these included a Nebraska ANG KC-135, a Nebraska State Patrol Bell 407, a couple of Cessnas, and a CRJ. But My favorites were when the pilot of a YX DC-9 let me come up in flight to look around (I was three or four) and when I got to look around in a DL 727. As you would expect, I didn't have a camera for any of these.

[Edited 2009-06-19 14:11:19]
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Tuesday 16th June (3 days ago) : I was in the cockpit of a Boeing 737-800 after a 1 hour 30 minute flight...

Wednesday 17th June (2 days ago) : I was sat in the Captains seat of an Airbus A330-200 after two seperate flights on the exact same aircraft totalling over 15 hours flying time...

I've also sat in the jumpseat for the whole flight onboard a Boeing 737-400 and a CRJ-200ER and visited the cockpits of a Boeing 737-300 and Airbus A319...

Great experiences  Smile !
''To fly as fast as thought you must begin by knowing that you have already arrived'' - Richard Bach

Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:28 am

I got to ride in the right seat of a Corsair B-747-400 very recently. It was my first time ever in a cockpit of an airliner. I got to hitch a ride with the engineer while the aircraft was being towed from overnight parking to the terminal.

I was awestruck by the view and the height of the cockpit.

I even managed to mess up every photo i took of it!  Smile
All opinions expressed by me are my own opinions & do not represent the opinions in any way of my employers.