ehvk

Spotting And Photographing In The US

Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:35 am

Hi all,

I am going on Holiday this year to The U.s, we bought a ticked from Ams to LAX, and we plan to rent a car there with a couple of friends and make a bit of a round trip. Las Vegas is on our wish list as well. Now i was wondering how "easy" is it to go spotting in the U.s. and what is allowed there? can ya walk to the fence of an airfield and just start making pictures? or are there rules i have to keep in mind.

If anybody got any tips or tricks there welcome. any recommendations on must See's are also welcome.

Greetings Léon

timdegroot

RE: Spotting And Photographing In The US

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:53 pm

Leon,

Lots of info on the web for example the excellent visitinglas.com on vegas or visitinglax.com on LAX

At those airports spotting is easy with dedicated viewing areas where you should not encounter problems. At other airports, hugging the fence is certainly not recommended if you are not familiar with the spots.

Try to see the desert boneyard as well, that is something unique to that part of the states (and the world)

Tim
Alderman Exit

ehvk

Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:35 am

Is there a map where the locations of the Desert Boneyards are marked on? or does anybody has adresses? It would be a great help to adjust my route i want to drive.

JeffSFO

Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:01 pm

Quoting Ehvk (Reply 2):
Is there a map where the locations of the Desert Boneyards are marked on? or does anybody has adresses? It would be a great help to adjust my route i want to drive.

The Internet is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_boneyard

But I put together the locations of MHV, VCV, GYR, MZJ, DMA, and ROW on Google Maps for you:

http://tinyurl.com/desertboneyards

Good luck with your roadtrip--please post your pics for us to see.