jmorgan41383

BFI/PAE Spotting

Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:11 am

I will be visiting Seattle (SEA/BFI/PAE) soon and was wondering where are the best places to shoot without a ladder? I've read the plane-spotter website, lots of great info. For BFI area 31 looks great, is a ladder needed for this location?

Thanks Jonathan
Sic Em Bears

saintex

RE: BFI/PAE Spotting

Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:12 pm

If this "secret" area 31 is where I think it is, you don't need a ladder. You're also trespassing.

In fact using a ladder anywhere around BFI on a non-show day is liable to generate a vist from a gentleman in a uniform. If 31 is in use I'd stick to the Museum parking lot. There's a gap by a gate where you can get line-up shots and if you stand on the terrace outside the cafe you're above the fence line. Southerly traffic is more problematic; roll-out shots through (not over) the fence at the Midfield Park by the tower is about the best of bad options. Some departures may be high enough to clear the fence though.

The place at PAE is the Future of Flight parking lot; sun behind you and mounds to see over the fence. Only good for Southerly traffic, I've never found an acceptable location on the other side.

clickhappy

Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:18 pm

Quoting Saintex (Reply 1):
If this "secret" area 31 is where I think it is, you don't need a ladder. You're also trespassing.

In fact using a ladder anywhere around BFI on a non-show day is liable to generate a vist from a gentleman in a uniform. If 31 is in use I'd stick to the Museum parking lot. There's a gap by a gate where you can get line-up shots and if you stand on the terrace outside the cafe you're above the fence line. Southerly traffic is more problematic; roll-out shots through (not over) the fence at the Midfield Park by the tower is about the best of bad options. Some departures may be high enough to clear the fence though.

This entire post is factually incorrect.

You can shoot all you want at Area 31, and it isn't trespassing. You can use your ladder all you want at BFI.

Wow.

jmorgan41383

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:08 pm

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 2):

Thanks Royal, I'm looking for the best locations to spot without a ladder. I'm visiting and have no access to a ladder. Is a ladder needed at area 31 or is there better locations?

Thanks Jonathan
Sic Em Bears

clickhappy

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:35 pm

If you need a ladder while you are here I can get you one, shoot me an email through my profile.

saintex

Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:18 pm

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 2):
You can shoot all you want at Area 31, and it isn't trespassing. You can use your ladder all you want at BFI.

I stand corrected. blush  Obviously not the spot I was thinking of. Perhaps if it wasn't so secret....

We have twice been accosted by King County PD for using ladders at BFI, perhaps we just look "suspicious".

I was right about PAE though wasn't I ? Unless there are secret spots there too !

alevik
Crew

Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:32 am

Quoting Saintex (Reply 5):
I was right about PAE though wasn't I ? Unless there are secret spots there too !

Sorry, but no. There is a spot on the side opposite The Museum. It is secret.
Improvise, adapt, overcome.

mattcawby

Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:57 am

Quoting Alevik (Reply 6):
Sorry, but no. There is a spot on the side opposite The Museum. It is secret.

Here is a picture from the secret spot.

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 686 File size: 435kb
Skyline Photography