EMA747
Topic Author

Wow Someone Wants My Photo, Help!

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:35 pm

I got an email today from Specsavers asking for use of a pic I took of one of their planes at EMA. Should I ask for payment or not? Don't think they sounded like they would pay though. I am happy they want my pic though.  Smile

Here is a copy of the message:

"Hi Andy,

I wonder if you would be prepared to allow us to use one of your photos (of either N64GG or N2341S) in an internal publication.

You might be interested to know that we are about to re register the aircraft as M-SPEX and M-SPEC respectively.

Kind regards

XXXXXXXX (Not sure if I should give the name so I'll leave it blank)

Aviation Manager
Specsavers Optical Group."
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

airkas1
Crew

RE: Wow Someone Wants My Photo, Help!

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:40 pm

Well, since it's an internal publication, I would just give them an edit and tell them that they may use it if they mention my name as the photographer.
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

nwc100

Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:30 pm

If that was me I would ask for some new glasses...I could do with new ones  Wink

Nick

JakTrax

Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:32 pm

I agree. I'm not for giving images away for free but on this occasion I'd supply a low-res version and ask them to credit you as the photographer. On the few occasions I give away images I always remind them very politely that I still own the copyright and don't take kindly to my generosity being exploited for commercial (i.e. money-making) purposes.

When giving stuff away for nothing I think you can take the hard line. You're in control and you tell them!

Karl

EMA747
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks for the comments. Would an a.net 1024px crop be ok then for a low res image?

Karl would you suggest I make sure it's official that I still keep the copyright and all other rights? Is an email sufficiant?
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!