c5load

Spotting From The Water

Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:34 pm

As always, if this is a double post, forgive me I couldn't find the other one. I was curious, is there a lot of enhanced security in the water areas around major airports? Places like SYD, JFK, SFO come to the top of my head that you would probably get a pretty good spotting view if you had a boat. Unfortunately, boats don't go through security checkpoints so wouldn't there be a greater chance of somebody being able to take down an airplane from the water?
"But this airplane has 4 engines, it's an entirely different kind of flying! Altogether"

mpdpilot

RE: Spotting From The Water

Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:45 pm

I think that if you were just floating in the water around an airport, at least in the U.S., you would probably be approached by law enforcement, they might not do anything but I would bet that someone would stop by. I could only imagine the shots you could get at like SFO. But, I have noticed that they have gotten very curious about people hanging out around the airport since 9/11. It has been mostly just a "hello" and not asking you to leave or anything.
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

JeffSFO

RE: Spotting From The Water

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:42 am

For SFO you can probably get under the approaches to the 28s without a problem because Coyote Point Marina and Yacht Club is so close by. I'd keep it reasonable and try it from a mile away or so--you'd get opportunities for some great shots:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...2.34375&spn=0.057459,0.120506&z=14