cpd

Nikon Pro Cleaning Kit?

Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:39 am

I've been wondering where it might be possible to by the "Nikon Pro Cleaning Kit"? I've seen the video that came with it (showing a D100). I can't find the kit on sale anywhere, but I know it still exists because I've seen a NPS people cleaning a camera sensor with that exact kit.

It was notable because they were using a small spatula device with a cloth carefully wrapped around it so that the edge was not exposed.

Does anyone know where it might be found on sale? These look to be a much better solution than the Eclipse cleaning swipes.

[Edited 2009-08-07 19:44:07]

cpd

RE: Nikon Pro Cleaning Kit?

Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:08 am

http://shop.nikon-image.com/front/ProductPSP00052.do

This appears to be the kit - now, can someone help me locate it for sale somewhere outside of Japan. The Nikon store doesn't ship overseas, and google searching reveals very little information.  Sad

unattendedbag

Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:02 am

Quoting Cpd (Thread starter):
they were using a small spatula device with a cloth carefully wrapped around it so that the edge was not exposed.

Quoting Cpd (Thread starter):
These look to be a much better solution than the Eclipse cleaning swipes.

Are you talking about this?: http://www.photosol.com/swabproduct.htm . the Eclipse is the solution that is used with the swab.

Quoting Cpd (Reply 1):
This appears to be the kit -

if you are just cleaning the sensor, you don't need all that crap.
Slower traffic, keep right

cpd

Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:24 am

I'm sorry, but that wasn't a very helpful reply.  

Quoting UnattendedBag (Reply 2):
Are you talking about this?: http://www.photosol.com/swabproduct.htm . the Eclipse is the solution that is used with the swab.

Whatever they are called then, it doesn't make much difference. I'm not entirely happy with the swabs (they are okay, but not perfect) and would prefer to use the same method that Nikon itself uses. (I've watched them clean the sensors).

I find the swabs too large to effectively get all the dust from the sensor - plus they are very expensive. Just 25 swabs was $88.00 - not far from the price of Nikon's own option.

[Edited 2009-08-08 04:28:34]

alevik
Crew

Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:58 pm

Quoting UnattendedBag (Reply 2):
if you are just cleaning the sensor, you don't need all that crap.

I agree. I clean the sensors on my D3's and D3X quite often, and just use the full frame sensor swabs from my local camera shop and eclipse fluid. I don't understand what sets the Nikon kit apart.
Improvise, adapt, overcome.

cvervais

Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:17 am

Do you know any of the members from Japan on this forum well enough to have him/her purchase it for you and then ship it to you?

cpd

Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:26 am

Quoting Cvervais (Reply 5):
Do you know any of the members from Japan on this forum well enough to have him/her purchase it for you and then ship it to you?

No not really. I only actually know a few people on here in real life.

I have found a place in Sydney that does grey-importing of Nikon equipment from Japan, I'll get them to import it for me (perhaps they can get a number of them). It appears to be a much more economical solution.

For now, I've mostly solved the problem with a blower device. There are still a few stubborn dust spots, but they are not in critical locations.