HAL
Topic Author

Sharpening: Before Or After Size Reduction?

Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:56 am

I've taken a look through this forum, and couldn't find anything related to this. Is there really a difference between sharpening the image before the size reduction vs. after? Which method do you use and why? Thanks for any input.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

clickhappy

RE: Sharpening: Before Or After Size Reduction?

Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:17 am

HAL - sharpening is a topic that will draw many opinions - most of them different.

My workflow is very simple - sharpening is that last step I do before saving.

aussie18
Crew

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:23 am

My method is to resize to 1600pixels and add 100% @ 0.2 USM than resize to final size ie 1024pixels and add the final amount of USM @ 0.2,touch up soft areas with some selective sharpening and erase noticable jaggies.

Cheers Mark.

sluger020889

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:29 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 1):

As is mine.

Joey
I would love to fly a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!

757MDE

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:45 am

In my case sharpening is the first thing I do after cropping, leveling and resizing.
Quisiera volveraamartevolveraquerertevolveratenertecerrrrcaademígirl! Mis ojos lloran porrr ti...

cpd

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:53 am

Quoting Aussie18 (Reply 2):
My method is to resize to 1600pixels and add 100% @ 0.2 USM than resize to final size ie 1024pixels and add the final amount of USM @ 0.2,touch up soft areas with some selective sharpening and erase noticable jaggies.

Cheers Mark.

I remember a book by Martin Evening (Photoshop CS3) who advocated using different radius settings for different MP class cameras. For 12mp, he advocated 0.4 radius (on the 100% size image - not the scaled down version), but otherwise mirrored your process.

What he also did - which I also have adopted is using masks on the sharpen layer (created using find-edges feature) to make sure that only edges were sharpened and nothing else. This is a superb method that can be very useful on images with complicated backgrounds, it is a speedy way to avoid needing to mask out the plane itself. You can use a similar idea and create a noise-reduction layer that avoids losing edge detail.

He also advocated setting the sharpen layer as a smart layer. This means that filters like the smart sharpen work more like layer adjustments and can be readily changed as needed. This I don't feel is so critical, but someone might consider it useful.

He also mentioned the high-pass filter / soft-light layer sharpening method too. I would actually suggest that all the methods are useful in different circumstances, and you use whichever method is most suitable for the image you have.

I personally don't like multi-pass sharpening - I've tended to use a similar method to Clickhappy and others, but sometimes in bad conditions there is no other way - you need to sharpen the image in stages to get the desired results.

PS: The book referenced is the CS3 version of this one:
http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/pscs4/index2.html

[Edited 2009-08-24 23:15:52]

GPHOTO

Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:07 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 1):

Same here. I've tried a few variations of when to sharpen, but this is the way I always return to. Sharpen last, using a layer.

Quoting Cpd (Reply 5):
I remember a book by Martin Evening (Photoshop CS3) who advocated using different radius settings for different MP class cameras. For 12mp, he advocated 0.4 radius, but otherwise mirrored your process.

I recall when I moved from a 5 MP point-and-shoot to an 8 MP DSLR, I had to make significant changes to parts of my workflow. The reduction in the need for noise reduction was very welcome, but it was quite a while before I found a satisfactory group of settings for sharpening. My old settings produced images that were too soft. I tried increasing the amount of sharpening , but ultimately I also had to adjust the radius setting as well.

Best regards,

Jim
Erm, is this thing on?

jid

Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:37 am

HAL you have to remember that as part of the re-sizing process your graphic package will apply some form of sharpening. So unless you have a really soft image to start off with do your sharpening at the end of your workflow.

Jid
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX