cpd

Photo Usage Request Help

Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:14 pm

Hello,

I've had a photo usage request from a print/production house for several of my photos to be used in a calendar they are doing for a client. Since I'm fairly well out of practice with these things, I'd like a bit of advice from those more well travelled along these interesting paths.  Smile They are offering to pay.

There is only mention of a client, no name, request of high resolution and no circulation numbers - though I suspect from the sound of things it could be a small-to-medium size print run.

I plan to ask for more info before I work out a price:

- size of the print run
- type of client
- format/size of the calendar
- resolution required (PPI)

Anything else I should ask? I haven't put anything in writing yet.

Regards,
Chris

Kukkudrill

RE: Photo Usage Request Help

Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:06 pm

I would ask how the calendar will be used. Distrubuted for free as a publicity tool? Sold?
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

Psych

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Chris - I wish you the very best.

All I can say is that in my time here I have had quite a few requests for use of an image, but on the vast majority of occasions when I have tried to ask more questions (like you have done here) and started to talk about anything to do with money, the individual making the request suddenly vanishes. I can count on my fingers the number of times they have stayed engaged in a discussion.

I shall be very interested to hear how this one goes for you. Don't forget to ask for a copy for yourself!

Good luck.

Paul

viv

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:23 pm

I agree with Paul, payment is rarely forthcoming.

I now only provide photos for public service or educational purposes (I recently provided shots for an aircraft controllers' training manual).
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

cpd

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:41 am

Thanks Paul.

I got more info. Around 10 or so images, 10x15 size, 300dpi, around 500 copies, non-exclusive use for promo materials.

cpd

Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:19 am

Unfortunately, this seems to have turned into a wall of silence - so it seems. Guess the quite reasonable price was too much.