lankygit

All The Gear But No Idea!

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Finally got around to signing up and getting started. Aviation Photography is up there as one of the things I am desperate to have a go at. I have spent the last 2 years working as a photographer in the British Touring Car Championship, so my experience in things that fly is zero.

My current tools consist of a Canon 50D (Hope to replace next year) and F2.8 70-200 and the 400mm F2.8L are my main too weapons of choice.

As the title says, all the gear but no idea. I live almost on top of Farnborough and I am 20 mins from LHR. Just looking for advice on where I can take pictures at any of the southern airports in the UK. Just worried about getting arrested under the anti terrorism laws and such like.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

LHRsunriser

RE: All The Gear But No Idea!

Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:08 pm

Ive got a feeling you may find it easier! However you will be affected by the weather far more.

In the southern airports its difficult to get good photos of aircraft on the ground rotating/touchdown and hence if the weather is crap you have no option to drop the shutter speed.

To get started I would recommend Myrtle Avenue at Heathrow when landing 27L or there is a field at the end of 09L. Sorry if the runway jargon baffles you I don't know how into aviation you are.

I am sure there is a Heathrow Spotters wiki page if you search google.

Nice set up aswell
Getting back into it

cpd

Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:12 pm

Quoting Lankygit (Thread starter):
Just worried about getting arrested under the anti terrorism laws and such like.

Photographers are not terrorists - and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Stand up for your rights.

Here are some details, but the LHR regulars can probably elaborate:
http://www.spotterswiki.com/index.ph...on_Heathrow_Airport_%28LHR/EGLL%29

Lexy

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:25 pm

Finally got around to signing up and getting started. Aviation Photography is up there as one of the things I am desperate to have a go at. I have spent the last 2 years working as a photographer in the British Touring Car Championship, so my experience in things that fly is zero.

As for the "experience" comment, I beg to differ my friend. I think you may find "Aviation Photography" to be a simple pick up for you!! You certainly aren't hurting for equipment, that's for sure. HAHA!

As the title says, all the gear but no idea. I live almost on top of Farnborough and I am 20 mins from LHR.

UGH! I envy you and where you live. For "Aviation Photography", that's a really nice place to be in all honesty.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

ake0404ar

Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:34 pm

all the gear but no idea.

So we are pretty much in the same boat here....I have been doing this for the last 10+ years and still don't know what I am doing wrong.....

Joking aside...welcome to the wonderful world of commercial aviation........

Since you are not a newbie in regards to photography, I am sure you have a decent tripod, maybe a Wimberly Head....hand holding a 400f2.8 for a longer period of time can be quite challenging.

I have a similar set up 70-200 2.8 and a 600f4. I would say about 90-95% of my shots are taking with the prime. It needs a lot of thinking, planning etc and you might not always get the a/c side on.....but you will get an unusual perspective.

o my experience in things that fly is zero.

quite an understatement i would say......

Hope this helps for the beginning.....

Vasco

dendrobatid

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:36 pm

I have spent the last 2 years working as a photographer in the British Touring Car Championship, so my experience in things that fly is zero.

Chris
Like the name BTW....  Smile

I think that what you are likely to have is what is known as transferrable skills and if you are competent at the Touring Cars (I suspect that you are), then you will have no trouble adapting to aircraft.

Living near LHR is going to give you a head start for practice and there are likely to be lots of people about to give you a hand and advice. Myrtle Avenue would be a good starting point.

Can we see some of your car shots....upload them to your profile and then display them here (instructions are under Add images)

Mick Bajcar

spencer

Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Quoting Dendrobatid (Reply 5):
Like the name BTW

Beat me to it Mick, haha!!

Chris, if you put a heads up out on the forum, giving the dates of your intended trips to LHR, I'm sure they'll be a few locals willing to hook up and show you the spots mate.
Spence.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

Trackcharlie

Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:49 pm

When 27R is the arrival runway then Way Avenue is a good place to go. It's off the A4 and parking is easy, you go through an alley into a grass area where you can move around lots (for the prime I mean) and I've never had any bother with or seen a copper there. TBH I do feel a bit uneasy with expensive gear on display (I have the 70-200 2.8 also!) but having said that I have never had any bother.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...0.412502&spn=0.009408,0.02723&z=16

Myrtle Avenue is also good (for 27L arrivals) but you will need a shorter lens for bigger stuff. My 24-70 is ideal here. Your lenses are fine for smaller stuff though. And for 09L arrivals the field off the perimiter road is a popular spot although you may get your collar felt for parking!
These are the only 3 places I've ever tried - there are other spots - I guess someone else can fill in.

Can't comment on Farnborough although some web research gave me the impression it's not aviation photographer friendly. Wait for the airshow - you may not even ave to leave the house!  Big grin

TC

TupolevTu154

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:25 pm

Chris, why don't you join us at the LHR meet on Saturday or Sunday? I'll be taking my gear and I'm sure a couple of other uploaders will be too.

A few beers, good aircraft traffic and good company, no doubt we'll pick a few hints and tips up from eachother.
LHR Meet 17th/18th October 2009 (by Steve7E7 Jul 29 2009 in Non Aviation)