HNLPointShoot
Topic Author

Sky Backlighting And How To Get Around It

Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:07 am

I'm having a problem where photos I'm shooting are coming out with the subject aircraft backlit because of the sky, and I'm trying to understand how to get around this.

For reference, my spotting spot is here, which also shows my location relative to Runway 8R/26L at HNL, and on the morning of October 25 (the day the photos from this thread were shot), the sun was located at an azimuth of 105-115º (based on info from the U.S. Naval Observatory). To avoid backlighting in this specific scenario, would I have to shoot with the sun to my right (i.e., on a boat in Māmala Bay to the south of the runway) to have the subject aircraft properly lit?

dlowwa

RE: Sky Backlighting And How To Get Around It

Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:19 am

Quoting HNLPointShoot (Thread starter):
To avoid backlighting in this specific scenario, would I have to shoot with the sun to my right (i.e., on a boat in Māmala Bay to the south of the runway) to have the subject aircraft properly lit?

Yup, pretty much. As a general rule, anywhere in the northern hemisphere you have a runway running East-West (which 8/26 basically does) you're going to need to be on the south side looking north to get good lighting. YVR also has runways at 8/26, and the only time I can shoot facing south and not be backlit is in the middle of the summer, when the sun briefly crosses the runway before it sets for a month or two.

You're going to have to give up much hope of getting decent shots of anything departing off the reef-runway unless you get that aforementioned boat. 8L/26R is much better as you can face to the north, and although it of course is usually arrivals, there some inter-island departures off of 8L. When the Kona winds pick up, 22L is often used for departures which might give you more of an opportunity for better shots.

Hope that helps.

Dana

HNLPointShoot
Topic Author

Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:41 am

Quoting Dlowwa (Reply 1):
Yup, pretty much. As a general rule, anywhere in the northern hemisphere you have a runway running East-West (which 8/26 basically does) you're going to need to be on the south side looking north to get good lighting. YVR also has runways at 8/26, and the only time I can shoot facing south and not be backlit is in the middle of the summer, when the sun briefly crosses the runway before it sets for a month or two.

That's good, because then I can at least take a crack at shooting from Lagoon Drive in the time between the two Lahaina Noons each summer.

je89_w
Crew

Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:53 am

Before 9-11, a hike to the other side of the Reef Runway was possible, and boy was that a great spot for photography during most of the year. Basically with the options we have now, one can forget about photographing aircraft departing 08R from September to March, unless you have that boat. Of course if there's an extremely special movement departing the Reef Runway, I'd photograph it anyway!

When the Kona winds blow in, you'll get more photo opportunities from Lagoon Drive. Hopefully this winter we'll be seeing more 22/26 action!

Here's a shot from the other side of the Reef Runway, back when I first started using an SLR camera!  Smile

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Je89 W.

When summer rolls around, these shots will be possible once again!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Je89 W.