zbot69

Corrupt RAW Files

Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:20 am

Wanted to get some feedback on dealing with corrupt RAW files. I've found there's a fair amount of software available for retrieving deleted files off of memory cards, but I've found very little on _restoring_ files that suddenly start behaving corrupted. Also, anyone able to recommend any particular software program for dealing with these?

Much thanks in advance!!!

Astro777lover

RE: Corrupt RAW Files

Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Quoting Zbot69 (Thread starter):

Once the files there is no way to uncorrupt them. If they were deleted that would be another story.

Sorry for your corrupted files.

-Austin

pilotealpha

Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:25 am

Deleted photos can be retrieved since they are not deleted physically from the card but they are only "marked for deletion".

I don't think there's any software that can help restore corrupted files. As far as i know, having recently coded a software to read raw files, if some infos are missing from that file (i.e its corrupted) you can't decode it and thus impossible to produce the image. Or even if a software happens to be able to read it (very low probability though) part of the image may not be displayed correctly and the photo may also appear with strong color cast.

Regards,
Krishley.G.D.Purmanun
The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes. Me, I'd rather fly.

zbot69

Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:11 am

Hey guys!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was hoping that in a photographer community of this size someone would have already dealt with this issue. Random Google searches don't produce much in terms of tangible workable results.

I talked to a software guy and he basically mirrored Krishley's comment... you can have someone look at the file and they may be able to determine what part of the file has suffered the data corruption, but 100% retrieval or restoration may not be a given, if at all.

Being excessively lazy, I was kind of hoping for a quick software fix.

Any additional thoughts on _preventing_ file corruption aside from avoiding cheap non-namebrand cards? I'm still trying to hunt down what caused the files to go bust in the first place. This has happened twice now after about, say, 120,000+ exposures. Each file corruption has affected two images, in both cases sequential shots, but neither was at the beginning or end of the whole series. Both kind of in the middle of whatever I was shooting. Also a little puzzled how the images can download seemingly fine from the camera and be accessed in DPP twice without problem and then suddenly go bad.

Thanks again!

dvincent

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:06 pm

Make sure you're also using the latest firmware for your camera, which sounds like it's a Canon. Perhaps they had addressed an issue...
From the Mind of Minolta

pilotealpha

Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:32 pm

Quoting Zbot69 (Reply 3):
Also a little puzzled how the images can download seemingly fine from the camera and be accessed in DPP twice without problem and then suddenly go bad.

Yeah looks a bit bizarre. Because either its totally damaged initially or its not. It can't be fine at the beginning and then gets corrupted.

Can you please tell me which camera you are using, any card reader and your PC configuration (OS and RAM). I'm guessing there's a software problem out there. From your camera to your PC, its only the camera that can alter the RAW file. According to me, your card is ok but maybe some files used by your camera's internal software got damaged.

Regards,
Krishley.G.D.Purmanun
The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes. Me, I'd rather fly.