stevemchey

DFW Spotting

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:23 pm

I will have an overnight layover in DFW on Sunday night and don't have to check in until 10:00 am the next morning. I will be staying in the Hyatt Regency for the night and was hoping to get a chance for a few shots around sunrise.

What are the best locations for morning shooting at DFW? I found this map through Spotterswiki, and since the sun will rise from ESE, I was thinking about the "temporary Founder's Plaza" just to the west of the North Remote Parking lot. However, since I am not sure how old that map is, I would like to know if that spot still exists and if airport police is OK with it.

I heard the top floor of the main garage is also a good location for the early morning. How is the legality issue there, and what exact spot is best?

Thanks,
Stefan

NIKV69

RE: DFW Spotting

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:21 am

Not sure if that temp location is still open. I would imagine they still let people park there when they are using 18. The garage could probably work but you would have to face west to get the sun behind you. Best thing to do is get up real early and get up there.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

FX772LRF

Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:16 am

The actual Founders Plaza on that map that looks like it's in construction now exists. It's a really nice facility, with those "tourist telescopes" as I like to call them, benches and picnic tables, and also a hookup to the ATC.

It's a pretty good location if they're landing and departing to the south.

Honestly, I've never had to go to alternate spots at DFW, so I can't touch on those. I have the very unique opportunity to be able to access the ramp because my uncle has that access. And 'm very thankful for it.

I can show you some pictures from the current Founders Plaza if you'd like. Just let me know, and I'll post them here.

I hope this helps.

-Noah  wave 
Cleared to IAH via CLL 076 radial/BAZBL/RIICE3, up to 3k, 7k in 10, departure on 134.3, squawk 4676, Colgan 9581.

stevemchey

Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:13 am

Thanks Nicholas and Noah for the input. I saw some pictures of and from the new Founder's Plaza and I wish I could go there in the PM. But since I only have the morning, I am afraid I would shoot right into the sun from there.

I might just take a bus to the north remote parking and walk from there and see what I can get...  Smile

Thanks for the help,
Stefan