ksaini13

Is Spotting A Waste?

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:38 pm

Hello All,

As some of you know I am 15 and go to High School. In my free time on the weekends I go to KSMF to take pictures of aircraft. My dad thinks that this is a waste of time and he hates it when I spend all saturday spotting? How can I explain to him that spotting is amazing and its not a waste of time  Smile any sugestions?
Kyle Saini- Aviation is my life! D90

spencer

RE: Is Spotting A Waste?

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:42 pm

If he doesn't understand you have a passion then I wouldn't bother wasting time explaining to him. That's how I'd roll. Otherwise, on a serious note, show him some of the amazing images here on A.net, preferably mine!! hahaha!
Spence.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

bottie

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Quoting Ksaini13 (Thread starter):
Otherwise, on a serious note, show him some of the amazing images here on A.net, preferably mine!! hahaha!

Then dad certainly will think it's a waste of time, Spence  Wink  Silly

JakTrax

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Seems a bit naive not understanding a hobby such as this. Would he rather you sit at baseball or football games? I mean, I like sport (well - some sport) and it's not much different as a hobby really.

It's one of the few hobbies that you can take rewards from as well as putting time, effort and money in - coming home with 50 great pieces of artwork is so satisfying!

I'm with Spencer - I'm afraid having to explain it to someone highlights their ignorance; and if you still wish to explain the best way I reckon would be to show him this thread in about two days.....

It bugs me when people ask why - why do they play golf? Why do they like shopping? Why do they like cars? Same reason as I like 'planes I'm guessing...? Maybe you'd be better off going round the neighbourhood abusing old folk and taking drugs?

Any decent hobby instills a sense of achievement.

Karl

conoramoia

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:11 pm

Well, I started when I was 14 and I'm 16 now.I was in a same situation, but I made it enjoyable for everyone around me by letting them have a go,telling facts and the rest but don't explain, show him..actions speak louder than words and I'll garuntee that if you keep at it he'll realize that your serious and support you.I did this and now we travel to different airports,go on ramp tours and my parents will spend a little bit more on travel if it means that we try a new a/c.  Smile

Good luck,

Conor

spencer

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:24 pm

Quoting Bottie (Reply 2):
Then dad certainly will think it's a waste of time, Spence

Oh, you just wait Bramski!!!! Hahaha.
Spence.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

G-CIVP

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:35 pm

Don't spend all of Saturday spotting. Mix your life up and have lots of interests and friends so you don't become obsessed with the hobby.

By the sounds of it you may become the local KSMF expert. Once your photo collection has become more substantial, you can concentrate on the exceptions (infrequent visitors) rather than trying to 'fleet' carriers.

Hope this helps, T.

sluger020889

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:21 pm

Well you could be off doing drugs and shop lifting stuff from the mall....
I would love to fly a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!

dendrobatid

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:38 pm

Kyle

I am now 57 years of age (though I look much younger, only 56) and I started this hobby when I was about 14.
My Father said just the same to me and he may well have been right. Actually my Wife says much the same to me now, and she has done so for years.
But isn't it a great way to waste your time ? It is harmless, it is fun.
However, don't neglect your studies because of it (and no apologies if I sound like your Dad, because I do understand him there ! )

Mick Bajcar

GST

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:49 pm

Take him spotting, preferably at a location where the biggest of the metal birds you get swoop low over his head for landing. As has been pointed out, it is a hobby that is harmless, and is much better than becoming a teenage tearaway. But yes, I reinforce the statements above about not being obsessive, you probably have other hobbies additionally, but nevertheless, keep trying new things, and don't let it get in the way of your school work etc. Why not learn to fly? I cant afford to fly power, so I fly gliders instead, its pretty darned cheap compared, and you get to spend entire days on smaller airfields, with an access all areas pass!

Silver1SWA
Crew

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:21 am

Quoting Sluger020889 (Reply 7):
Well you could be off doing drugs and shop lifting stuff from the mall....

Exactly what I was going to say.

Ask your dad if he has ever had a hobby or an interest he was passionate about. Most people have something. If he says yes, kindly point out that your interest in spotting is no different.

But like Mick pointed out, he is likely trying to keep you focused on school and would probably like to see you have a healthy social life. Don't let the hobby consume your life. A healthy balance is key.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

NIKV69

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:22 am

Well it is a waste since you would probably get better traffic on Sunday. Also if he thinks that is a waste what will he think when he sees you in front of you computer editing shots and getting pissed when you get those rejection emails.  biggrin 
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

unattendedbag

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:23 am

How can I explain to him that spotting is amazing and its not a waste of time Smile any sugestions?

Tell him your only other options are street gangs and heroin. See if he jumps on board with the hobby then!
Slower traffic, keep right

cpd

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:08 am

Just do the photography/spotting thing in moderation. Do some other things at other times.

And besides, learn to be a talented photographer at the same time. I've become a better photographer now than I've ever previously been through this very site here.

You can learn photography which could net you a great job, or at least, make some reasonable money for you. That's better than getting involved in gangs, etc.

ccarter757

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:10 am

Quoting UnattendedBag (Reply 12):
Tell him your only other options are street gangs and heroin. See if he jumps on board with the hobby then!

If he doesn't after telling him that, then you are wasting your time trying to convince him!  

My parents thought I hit my head on the ground or something, going to the airport to watch planes, and take pictures?   But they eventually figured out it was better than hanging out on the streets at all hours of the night.

Though they still won't come with me on my early morning trips to the airport on the weekend. That's the beauty of having a drivers license.  

[Edited 2010-01-19 18:12:36 by ccarter757]

[Edited 2010-01-19 18:13:13 by ccarter757]
Best Regards Chris: Nikon D40 ~ Nikkor 70-300 VR ~ Nikkor 18-105 VR

dl767captain

Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:38 am

well what hobby does he have? golf? explain to him that his hobby seems boring and a waste of time to you to but it's what he likes to do, i'm not sure why he can't figure it out for himself. I mean as long as you're not spending all your time sitting by the fence of an airport i don't really see why he would have a problem

JohnKrist
Crew

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:27 am

All hobbies are a waste of time, that's why it's a hobby in the first place. It's a way to spend some hours away from the daily grind. Be it golf, stamp collecting, playing pool, model making or watching sports.
Airliners.net Crew-Head Support
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

JThompson

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:48 am

I bet there are a lot of Dads out there that would swap what their sons are out doing on Saturdays with what your Dads son is doing anyday!

pilotealpha

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:46 pm

Spotting is a very interesting hobby and who knows maybe one day thats going to become your proffession. Just tell your dad to browse this site and see all these marvellous shots here with all the hits and kind comments at the bottom. Ask him if he would not be proud to see one of your shot here with lots of great comment from people who appreciate your work.
Of course you should not neglect your studies and concentrate only on photography. You should keep a balance between the two.

Sorry for that but i've noticed that many parents don't really understand their children and only want them to do what they want ; "I want my son to become an engineer....blah blah blah".
Let the child follow his/her own path and do what he wants in life. Don't dictate his life, rather be there as a guide.

Regards,
Krishley.G.D.Purmanun
The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes. Me, I'd rather fly.

jetblast

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:50 pm

I started spotting in middle school and haven't stopped since - as a result I gained some background knowledge and now have a job in the industry that I am happy at.

Some people may view it as a waste, but as mentioned before, there are many more harmful things you could be doing.
Speedbird Concorde One

hotplane

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Just want to clarify something as this 'spotting' term seems to getting misused a lot lately. Are we talking about using binoculars to read off registrations and writing them down. Or, using a camera to take photographs of aircraft?
?

pilotealpha

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Quoting Hotplane (Reply 20):
Are we talking about using binoculars to read off registrations and writing them down. Or, using a camera to take photographs of aircraft?

Read Ksaini post below.

I go to KSMF to take pictures of aircraft.

He is talking about taking photographs with a camera not using binoculars to read reg numbers.

Cheers,
Krishley.G.D.Purmanun
The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes. Me, I'd rather fly.

EMA747

Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:23 am

Well for me a love of planes and aviation has certainly increased my geographical knowledge a lot. Think of all the countries and cities you know through seeing pictures of planes and reading things about aviation.

Add to that a better technical knowledge. I have learnt many things in the endless hours I have read things on the net, book etc. Much of which could be talked about in a job interview or similar maybe. I am going to apply to be a commercial shipping officer and I can talk a lot of my aviation knowledge to the interview be it general things, route planning from my real world flying. Also just having a dedication to a hobby looks impressive.

Also on a personal note you get to meet lot's of people you would otherwise not have met. Aviation brings together young and old.

Stick with it but don't become obsessed.

Andy S
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

conoramoia

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Quoting EMA747 (Reply 22):
Well for me a love of planes and aviation has certainly increased my geographical knowledge a lot. Think of all the countries and cities you know through seeing pictures of planes and reading things about aviation.

So true....

Add to that a better technical knowledge. I have learnt many things in the endless hours I have read things on the net

Same here...

Stick with it but don't become obsessed.

Very important.

Conor  Smile