alasdair1982
Topic Author

Photography At San Jose

Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:11 pm

Have checked Google Maps, but I am still unsure.

Is there a suitable walking route from Santa Clara Caltrain Station to the airport? and which location is the best? I wouldn't mind seeing the FedEx MD-11's.

Thanks

SFO2SVO

RE: Photography At San Jose

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:46 pm

Never walked there myself but here you go:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=0.034725,0.06566&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14

as google points out, there is no guarantee that all roads have sidewalks.
2.3 miles to the best spot for arrivals in the evening.

There is also free bus 10 - but it takes you to terminal.

Said that, Fedex & UPS may be arriving a bit too late: days are short in winter.
SFO (easily accessible from Millbrae Caltrain station) may be more exciting destination.
318-19-20-21 332 343 717 727 737-234578 743-4 752 763 772 D9/10 M11/8x/90 F70 RJ85 ATR72 SF340 E120 TU34/54 IL18/62/86/9

alasdair1982
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:58 pm

Going late next month. Don't worry, had not forgotten about SFO!

dimsh2000

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:04 am

As SFO2SVO said, there is a free bus #10 that runs from the Caltrain station to the airport terminals. However, it also makes a few stops along the way.

My favorite spot is on the corner or Airport Blvd & Coleman Ave. If you zoom in on Google Maps, there is a parking lot there from which you can see all takeoffs and landings. Even though a fence exists, it's not too high. I would bring a ladder just in case. To get to it from the Caltrain station, take the 10 bus and get off at the Coleman & FMC Driveway station, which can also be seen on Google Maps if you zoom in. To go back, there is a stop right next to the parking lot. Hope this helps!

aal151heavy

Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 am

You can find the #10 bus map and schedule here:

http://www.vta.org/schedules/SC_10.html

San Jose State (Airport Blvd and Coleman Ave) spot suggested above is a great spot that most everyone goes to. However, here is a couple other suggestions:

- Long term parking lot

Take the #10 bus to Coleman and Brokaw. Walk along Brokaw towards the airport and the road will turn to become Martin Ave. About half way to the parking entrance, you will see a pedestrian entrance into the parking lot. Walk across the parking lot and pick a spot along the fence towards the field. Please note no objects (ladders) next to the fence, as noted/warned by signs.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...2caa1ddd45a2,37.356744,-121.934445

- Terminal A garage

Take #10 to Terminal A (if at the airport parking lot, take the airport parking bus). Go to the roof of the Terminal A garage. It is quite a large garage, I prefer the south end. This is a summer morning spot. Winter sun is not so good there, so I would skip this spot if you are picky about your lighting.

Finally - FedEx MD-11 is not everyday. It was Mondays only last time I checked. If you want to get a departure shot - you have to wait later in the year, because it departs around 7:30 pm. It arrives on late Sunday atternoon/evenings. I just checked, it's a DC-10 today - and the past two weeks - and arriving after dark.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX3001

Good luck!

Ben
My airliners.net photos