ThomasWarloe
Topic Author

Photography At Boeing Field

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:22 am

Hello,

I am planning to take the Boeing Tour, and I was wondering about photography opportunities. I know that photography is not permitted on the tour itself. Is photography allowed from the spotting area at the factory? Also, if I go on a Sunday will there be anything going on? Sorry if this has already been discussed before; i searched online and on these forums and could not find much about the topic.

Thanks,
-Thomas

[Edited 2010-03-26 19:24:02]

dlednicer
Crew

RE: Photography At Boeing Field

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:59 am

The Boeing Tour is at Paine Field (KPAE), not Boeing Field (KBFI). The tour begins and ends at the Future of Flight Center. There is a balcony at the Future of Flight Center that is an excellent spot to shoot from - you only need about an 85mm lens. Also, there is a berm on the east side of the parking lot that is good for shooting.

ThomasWarloe
Topic Author

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Quoting dlednicer (Reply 1):
Paine Field (KPAE), not Boeing Field (KBFI).

Oops, mixed the two up.

So they don't mind photography on the balcony even though you can't bring a camera on the tour? Also, like i was saying above, will anything be happening if i take the tour on a sunday?

Thanks,
-Thomas

cschleic

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:03 am

The museum and the factory tour are two completely different buildings. In fact, they're on opposite sides of the airport. The factory is Boeing property, etc. etc. I don't know if the museum belongs the Boeing. There's also a hotel next to the museum.

Down at Boeing Field (really named King County International Airport), the Museum of Flight has a lot of Boeing stuff, but isn't owned by Boeing.

rightstuffphoto

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:50 am

I can recommend the tour. It's very informative and even though you can't take cameras it's still worth doing.
For photography I would give Paine Field a miss. There is usually little going on. Better to take the 45 minute drive south down I-5 to Boeing Field. Even at weekends there is always plenty to see and photograph. Go to the mid-field parking lot on the west side of the airport and shoot away. The local cops leave you alone and if fact will usually give you a friendly wave as they patrol inside the fence. Speaking of the fence, if you have steps take them as it's over 6 feet high.
Right now there are four 787s and two 747-8s at Boeing Field together with a multitude of different new 737s. Add this to the usual biz-jets, GA, Cargo Traffic (late in the afternoon) and the regular military visitors you'll have a great time. Hope this was helpfull. This is my "local" so I'll probably see you there.

787seattle

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:00 am

I would suggest checking Flightaware before you go to either airports. There tends to be more Boeing traffic on weekdays.
Student - KELN

mattcawby

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:31 am

Quoting rightstuffphoto (Reply 4):
For photography I would give Paine Field a miss. There is usually little going on

Yes, I agree. Please don't come up here.
Skyline Photography

nra-3b

Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Quoting mattcawby (Reply 6):
Yes, I agree. Please don't come up here.

lol

Pretty possessive aren't we? Just for that, I'm coming up there next week......

(really)

cheers,
Bob