midsouthair10
Topic Author

Is There A Spotters Group In Memphis, TN?

Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Hello everyone.

This is my first post on a.net. I have recently started to expand my aviation photography hobby after following and looking at photos here on a.net. I was wondering if there is a spotters group that regularly meets in Memphis, TN? If there is one, how can I join? If not, is it possible to set one up and try to get some sort of recognition/permission as a group from the airport? I did read an older thread that talked about a number of other users' experiences at Memphis in 2005 and how it is highly advisiable to notify airport safety personnel of your presence. Some users in the thread also indicated that it would be better to go as a group rather than individually.

I currently take photos from off airport a fair distance (about eight miles from the airport) away and would like to get a few more photos up close.

Your help and advice are sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

MSAir10

NIKV69

RE: Is There A Spotters Group In Memphis, TN?

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:41 pm

Do your research everything I have heard is the local police are not spotter friendly there.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

NWA330nut

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 1):
the local police are not spotter friendly there.

Any information relevant would be helpful for me as well. I am planning a trip for the fall.

JohnJ

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:03 am

The local police are fine there as long as you obey the no trespassing signs, particulary on the airport-owned parcels of land just to the west of the airport. Unfortunately, some of the best views are from that area and you can shoot at your own risk, but if you linger for long you'll eventually wind up talking to the airport police - PARTICULARLY if you're with a group, or even near other cars that have parked there illegally. That happened to me last summer. The officer was firm but friendly and gave me a number to call that apparently would have given me "on-limits" photo areas. I had another run-in on the parking garage a number of years ago, and I did follow up with the airport on that one. They told me the parking garage (which is also excellent for photography) was perfectly OK.

Memphis should get better in the next few years as they're building a 7-story garage between the two sets of runways. I have high hopes the views from up there will be excellent.