Spiderguy252
Topic Author

Are Monochrome Images Allowed?

Tue May 04, 2010 5:54 pm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tim De Groot - AirTeamImages

Just saw this in the Top Rated section. Am curious to know what the rules are regarding shooting in black & white? Especially regarding modern day shots (This was taken in '07).

Basically, can a photographer submit any worthy photo even if it is not in colour?

Cheers!
Vahroone

ThierryD
Crew

RE: Are Monochrome Images Allowed?

Tue May 04, 2010 6:28 pm

It's been some time since this has been discussed (and I can't find the thread anymore) but if I remember well, monochrome photos are only allowed if it makes sense in order to give an impression of old age; in this case the aircraft pictured must be a classic or warbird.
OR monochrome is also allowed if it falls under the creative rule, like Tim's photo pictured above.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

Spiderguy252
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2010 6:56 pm

I was just wondering about Tim's shot.....would it have been a motive rejection if it was in colour?
Vahroone

viv

Tue May 04, 2010 7:00 pm

Black and white photos of vintage aircraft are allowed - I uploaded this a few days ago.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vivion Mulcahy

I have never tried uploading a B/W 'creative' shot.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

GrahamHill

Wed May 05, 2010 8:38 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 1):
monochrome photos are only allowed if it makes sense in order to give an impression of old age

I would guess that the one below perfectly applies:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tobias Rose - AirTeamImages

"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

dendrobatid

Wed May 05, 2010 10:51 am

The general rule is that black and white images are acceptable if taken in black and white and with an appropriate subject.
So, for instance a DC-3 may be appropriate but if it has a backdrop of an A-380 it is unlikely to be.

If an image works well creatively in black and white it may be considered and the shot above of Tim's is one which demonstrates that well. The subject is not appropriate but the treatment is, totally, and it remains one of my favourite photos on the site.

Mick Bajcar

Alberto Riva

Thu May 06, 2010 2:03 pm

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 5):
If an image works well creatively in black and white it may be considered and the shot above of Tim's is one which demonstrates that well. The subject is not appropriate but the treatment is, totally, and it remains one of my favourite photos on the site.

Couldn't say it better.

The advice I would add -- not just for black and white but often for photography in general -- is: Think like a photo editor. Think like you're selecting photos for a magazine or a newspaper story. In the case of Tobias' LH 321 shot, you could totally imagine the photo running under a headline that says something like, "Lufthansa Brings Back The 1950s for a Day". The black and white is pertinent in that retro / nostalgic context.

As Mick notes, Tim's shot is black and white for purely artistic reasons, and once again, if I were a photo editor I would totally run it in B&W; it fits the essential, design-y feeling of the image. Pure form stripped of color, yet also conveying emotion. Imagine it in color: it would be a pretty unexceptional shot. And quite possibly a rejection for dark on this site  

In other words, Don't do something cool because Photoshop lets you do it. Do it because you could explain convincingly to a hypothetical photo editor, from a creative point of view, why you think that shot should be the way you decided.

[Edited 2010-05-06 07:05:53]

ZakHH

Wed May 12, 2010 4:23 pm

Just got one in...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stefan Gebenus

Thanks to everyone for the advance help in the feedback section - and for this thread, that delivered the inspiration for uploading that shot.  
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

SNATH

Wed May 12, 2010 10:57 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 7):
Just got one in...

Beautiful, moody shot. It looks great in B-W!

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

stevemchey

Thu May 13, 2010 12:51 am

Man, what a beauty...

ZakHH

Thu May 13, 2010 2:17 pm

Thank you, gentlemen  
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!