Cross757
Topic Author

Cyyc Spotting Locations

Tue May 18, 2010 7:24 am

Hello Everyone,

I'll be doing some business in Calgary in a few weeks and was curious if anyone could provide some great spotting locations around the airport. Do the local authorities permit spotting around the airfield? Thanks!

Cross757

saintex

RE: Cyyc Spotting Locations

Tue May 18, 2010 3:24 pm

Spotting is allowed, even encouraged, at YYC. The 'official' Edward H. LaBorde viewing area is to the W. of runway 34 threshold off McKnight Boulevard. You can't miss it, although it's only good for photography from about 2pm on.

There are two other spots, one at the 28 threshold off McCall Way which is difficult (but not impossible) for photos due to a double fence and is only good until about midday; the other round by the Viking hangar in McTavish court, E. of R34 and therefore excellent in the morning.

In addition you can park in the cargo near the fire station, although this is not a recognised spot and you could get moved on although it's never happened to me. This is about the only place for a southerly flow (16/10) that I know of and is far from satisfactory. Best to check the wind before setting out. Be prepared to see a lot of Westjet 737s    .

There are probably other locations reachable on foot (looong walks) but I'm too lazy to have explored. You can get some limited shots from the sidewalk at each end of the terminal too.

Cross757
Topic Author

Wed May 19, 2010 4:23 am

Quoting saintex (Reply 1):

Thank you so much for the information! I am looking forward to seeing what YYC has to offer.

alevik
Crew

Thu May 20, 2010 11:49 pm

Go to www.contrailsphotography.com . They have a spotting guide for Calgary. Very spotter/photog friendly, there are plenty of us around too. You can check out the flickr group Calgary Airport for more of the usual suspects.
Improvise, adapt, overcome.