Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

teopilot
Topic Author

Newbie's Question (shots And Airport Net)

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:59 pm

Hello flying-mates!

I'm a newbie here on airliners.net, but also of reflex photography (I bought 5 days ago my first reflex: a starter kir including Canon EOS 450D body, a canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 + canon 70-300 f/4-5.6, both of them without stabilization. I'd say to be satisfied by the first results   )

now, I'll explain my request, with a little foreword...
I'm used to do spotting in LIML (Milan Linate) or LIMC (Milan Malpensa).
In these two airports there are several spotting points you can go along the day.
Some of them are "open air"... I mean, there are no obstacles between the lens and the aircraft: very good results without any effort....
but other places may present a great problem: THE NET, which surround the whole airport's perimeter; I had some problems in my last spotting sessions due to the fact expressed above.

I tried different ways to solve the problem of the ugly effect coming from the net:
1. I set the diaphragm at the maximum spread (about 4.5 at a focal lenght of 100 mm): focusing on the aircraft, the net seems only a shadow on the shot due to the depth of field rules.
2. I brought near the "natural" holes in the net my lens, in order not to have any obstacle to take my shot.
but this solution seems to work only if I want to shot the aircraft when it is at a reduced angle (referred to the imaginary parallel line to my body; this, in my case, could be identified with the runway)
but if I want to shot at "higher angles" I often have the same problem explained above in the 1st point...

so, I'd want some help, in order to take better shots in these circumstances... I know, here there is a lot of experienced people!!!  

Maybe could I do something in post-production?
or change some settings for these shots?...
or something else!!!

I thank you in advance for the suggestions!!!

regards,
Matteo

p.s.: I hope to have explained well the problem... if you can't get something, just ask me!!!  
p.p.s: I hope this topic hasn't been treated yet! in case, just tell me where I could get the correct thread where post at, or where could I find the answer to my questions

JakTrax

RE: Newbie's Question (shots And Airport Net)

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:04 pm

If your lens doesn't fit through the gaps in the chain-link fence there really is no remedy, aside from not shooting through the fence. One trick I sometimes do to limit the effects of the mesh is to not zoom in as much as I normally would - that is, so that the aircraft fills much less of the frame. This way, I can crop out any ill-effects caused by the mesh. The only downside is that you need quite a high mega-pixel camera to retain maximum quality. Your 450D, at 12MP, should be okay.

By the way, I don't make a habit of this as I like to fill the frame with my subject as much as possible. Only use it in emergencies!

Another option is to raise the camera above the top of the fence and use live view to compose. Awkward but this method has saved my bacon a few times now! Of course a set of steps is also useful for this - providing your local airport authorities don't mind.

Cheers,

Karl

teopilot
Topic Author

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:40 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 1):
If your lens doesn't fit through the gaps in the chain-link fence there really is no remedy, aside from not shooting through the fence. One trick I sometimes do to limit the effects of the mesh is to not zoom in as much as I normally would - that is, so that the aircraft fills much less of the frame. This way, I can crop out any ill-effects caused by the mesh. The only downside is that you need quite a high mega-pixel camera to retain maximum quality. Your 450D, at 12MP, should be okay.

By the way, I don't make a habit of this as I like to fill the frame with my subject as much as possible. Only use it in emergencies!

Another option is to raise the camera above the top of the fence and use live view to compose. Awkward but this method has saved my bacon a few times now! Of course a set of steps is also useful for this - providing your local airport authorities don't mind.

Cheers,

Karl

thank you Karl!  

but I still have a question: you suggested me not to zoom so much... but do I have to bring anyway the lens in the gap until the limit of possible?

in addition, while I was reading your answer, I remembered a fact that I noticed the first time I shot with a "not fitting in gaps" lens: if you shoot far from the fence, at high level of zoom the chain link will be less visible, but still annoying. On the other hand, shooting at short focals, the "shadow" of the fence will be even more brighter...

JakTrax

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:46 pm

Matteo,

The only lenses that will fit through fences are those belonging to compact cameras. The smallest regular DSLR lens diameter is 58mm - just too big to fit through most airport perimeter fences. Try to gently position it as far as it will go (don't force it!) and check the viewfinder to find the best fit. You will more-than-likely get a bit of blurry 'shadow' from the fence but in a lot of circumstances you can crop (or clone?) it out. You will never avoid it completely unless you shoot over the fence. Standing back and focussing on what's behind the fence may make the fence itself less obvious but it will always ruin your image, no matter how careful you are. I definitely advise against this at all costs!

In short you can't 100% successfully shoot through chainlink fences. Either get above them or shoot from locations where they are not present.

Karl

teopilot
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:58 am

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 3):
The only lenses that will fit through fences are those belonging to compact cameras. The smallest regular DSLR lens diameter is 58mm - just too big to fit through most airport perimeter fences.

thanks again Karl for your answer!  
The sentence I quoted is exactely what I meant...

now, I have few pictures where the net is present as a "shadow", it's not so evident... I think I could get it out (even partially) with postproduction: I have photoshop CS3, and I'm a newbie at it as I am a total newbie in reflex photography... so, I'm just learning how to use it to make my shots better looking...

finally, do you have any advice to fix this problem with photoshop?

thanks in advance

Matteo

JakTrax

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:43 am

Matteo,

Just crop it out if you can. Otherwise, clone it out but be careful if you upload here as it may be considered 'illegal' manipulation!

Karl

dlowwa

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:55 am

Quoting teopilot (Reply 4):
finally, do you have any advice to fix this problem with photoshop?
Quoting JakTrax (Reply 5):
Just crop it out if you can. Otherwise, clone it out but be careful if you upload here as it may be considered 'illegal' manipulation!

No, it is quite simple - DO NOT use cloning or photoshop to remove parts/shadows of the fence if you upload here. If you are caught doing this you will be banned.

teopilot
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:47 am

ok, I got it!
if I want to upload it, I MUST NOT remove fence shadow with a editing program  
otherwise, if it is not so much evident, I could try to upload, but I know it could be easily rejeceted...

but if I want to remove this bad effect from a photo only to take it for myself, and not to upload here, how can I remove that with photoshop? is there any specific tool?

and... a question quite off topic:
what kind of editing are allowed to upload here?
cropping and resizing yes.... anything else?

Matteo

JakTrax

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 6):
No, it is quite simple - DO NOT use cloning or photoshop to remove parts/shadows of the fence if you upload here

Why is the assumption always made that people jump through fiery hoops to get their images how A.net wants them? Cloning out is fine for everything BUT A.net - as I clearly stated when I said...

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 5):
be careful if you upload here as it may be considered 'illegal' manipulation!

Karl

dlowwa

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:16 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 8):
as I clearly stated when I said "be careful if you upload here as it may be considered 'illegal' manipulation!"

Yes Karl, but by including the word 'may' you implied that there may be some leeway towards removing objects, and I wanted to make it clear - there is not.

JakTrax

Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:17 pm

Fair enough. I used the word 'may' because someone would have to spot the cloning first.....

Karl