teopilot
Topic Author

Request Of Suggestions For Cockpit Photo

Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:27 pm

Hello Airlines.net people!

This time I want to know good techniques and advices in order to take good cockpit shots with a reflex (I'll take a FR flight in two weeks).
I used to take shots with my compact digital camera: it did all for me... it' boring, after all!
Now I've got a reflex camera, and I suppose to use it to take my first good cockpit shot, if I'll be let to...

so...
what about the shot mode? (auto, P, shutter priority, aperture priority,manual etc.)
what about the diaphragm to be used ( I suppose a bit closed, in order to have the maximum focal depth possible)
what about the flash?
what about the point to focus? ( you probably know that cockpits are not good places to take photos sometimes... i.e.: sometimes light coming from the windows is very strong... so, do I have to focus on a panel, in order not to make all the rest darker?)

please, add you experience... I want to learn more about it!
I want to have a cockpit shot approved here!!! :P

thank you all very much in advance!
Matteo

viv

RE: Request Of Suggestions For Cockpit Photo

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Expose for the outside and use a flash.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

teopilot
Topic Author

RE: Request Of Suggestions For Cockpit Photo

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:34 pm

Quoting viv (Reply 1):
Expose for the outside and use a flash

ok... but, will the instruments be bright or will they be dark? ( to upload here, I need that LCD instuments like the ones of airbus or B737NG are the same as they look at our eyes... I say this because I tried before with flash in cockpit, but the results were horrible: black screens... but I have to say that the camera was a compact one...)