ORL777

Spotting In LHR Sep 5 And 6

Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:52 am

Hello to all

I´ll be visiting london from Sep 4 until Sep 7, Will be any local spotter on that dates?

How is the security? best spotting location for that dates? They allowed the use of the scanner?

thanks in advice!

Orlando Suárez

JakTrax

RE: Spotting In LHR Sep 5 And 6

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:07 am

Scanners are find and spotting/photography isn't a problem anywhere around the perimeter, providing you aren't too close to the fence.

Karl

757MDE

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:46 am

Hey Orlando!
Had you gone a few days earlier we could have met there!
It seems you will have both uses in the days you're going to go, which are landing at one of the 27s until 3pm and then switching to the other 27 until last landing.

Best spotting location depends on what you want, if you want landings and they're doing them on 27R (best lightning for this in the afternoon according to my experience just a few days ago) you can go to Hatton Cross tube station on the Piccadilly line (I guess you will be using public transportation, right? so that's your starting point) and take the 285 or 423 bus towards Heathrow Central and stop at Hatton Road, the spot is a grass area beside a Q-Park just in the threshold, you won't miss it. The bus is free.

If you want landings on 27L, from Hatton Cross station just walk left, cross the street, turn right and continue walking parallel to the road until you see a big grass area most likely full of spotters (walk following the road past the horses and the lights until you find it, you won't miss it either).

If you want takeoffs from 27L, from Hatton Cross station take the 203 bus towards Staines and get off at the junction of Bedfont Road and Clare Road (there's a petrol station there). Continue walking and find riverside road, follow it until you reach a pub called the rising sun, you can spot from there or follow the dirt walkway until you reach the road and see yet another petrol station. Bus number 203 is not free!, I hope you get an Oyster Card, it's very convenient despite the 3 quid price tag.

Scanner is allowed and as far as I know (and experienced) police won't bug you if you stay in those areas and don't cling to the fence or something like that. I saw many a police car pass by and no one bugged us, one of them even greeted.
Quisiera volveraamartevolveraquerertevolveratenertecerrrrcaademígirl! Mis ojos lloran porrr ti...

hotplane

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:04 am

Quoting orl777 (Thread starter):
I´ll be visiting london from Sep 4 until Sep 7, Will be any local spotter on that dates?

Are you planning to watch aircraft or take photos?
?

ORL777

Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:11 am

Quoting hotplane (Reply 3):
Are you planning to watch aircraft or take photos?

I will Take Photos

Quoting 757MDE (Reply 2):
Best spotting location depends on what you want, if you want landings and they're doing them on 27R (best lightning for this in the afternoon according to my experience just a few days ago) you can go to Hatton Cross tube station on the Piccadilly line (I guess you will be using public transportation, right? so that's your starting point) and take the 285 or 423 bus towards Heathrow Central and stop at Hatton Road, the spot is a grass area beside a Q-Park just in the threshold, you won't miss it. The bus is free.

Hey Andrés thanks for the information, Yes I´ll be using public transportation, I prefer to catch some landing and well depeding of the wheater and the traffic

Quoting 757MDE (Reply 2):
Scanner is allowed and as far as I know (and experienced) police won't bug you if you stay in those areas and don't cling to the fence or something like that. I saw many a police car pass by and no one bugged us, one of them even greeted.

ok, thatñs important because I don´t know if I let the scanner in home or taking with me, but thanks!!

Saludos!

757MDE

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:31 am

Quoting orl777 (Reply 4):
Hey Andrés thanks for the information

You're welcome mate!
Let me know if you need anything else.
Quisiera volveraamartevolveraquerertevolveratenertecerrrrcaademígirl! Mis ojos lloran porrr ti...

JakTrax

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:30 pm

Just a tip...

The spot by the Esso garage (near the Rising Sun pub) used for 27L departures can suffer terribly from heat-haze on warm days. It's also trickier without a ladder, though by no means impossible.

If I don't have a ladder I tend to use Myrtle Avenue, 'the huts' and the 09L field/embankment.

Karl