mclaudio
Topic Author

JNB Photo Location

Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:01 pm

Greetings everybody.
I'm trying to get a small info on photography locations in JNB. Not sure if anyone can help me, but here it goes.
I emailed a local photograher asking about the observation decks at JNB a few months ago and he was kind to answer back, but I forgot to ask him a question. I then asked him again and a couple of uploaders, but got no feedback (perhaps everybody is on vacation...hmmm).
The question is this. From the observation decks in JNB is it possible to make photos of aircrafts taking off or is the view to the runway obstructed? In other words, what exactly can be seen from those areas? Are there really good photo oportunities from those facilities?
Thanks in advance

(side note...would't it be nice if airliners.net had photo guides from airports around the globe?)
Proudly one of the 6 million Portuguese that support SL Benfica!! Champions 2009-2010!

wasifakhan88

RE: JNB Photo Location

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:02 pm

hey there... its possible to take some nice pics from the observation deck at jnb but the problem is during the take offs from runway 03 coz the terminal building obstructs the view but once airborne i think it shouldnt be a problem.. and moreover u can click some nice pics of taxiing aircrafts and the ones at the ramp..

theres another location to click some nice pics.. theres a public road next to runway 03R hence u get some nice approach shots.. try locating the approach lights along the highway (forgot the highway number) and there u go.. u got ur spot..
Wasif Ali Khan from DOH

mclaudio
Topic Author

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi.
Thanks for the feedback. Excelent!   
I already "found" (so to speak) using google earth street view mode some interesting places on the threshold of the 03R for afternoon approach shots, but to be honest I have some doubts concerning safety that's why the observation decks sound better.
Nevertheless I think I'll try some arrival shots in the afternoon + observation decks!
Proudly one of the 6 million Portuguese that support SL Benfica!! Champions 2009-2010!

SAA738

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:28 pm

Quoting mclaudio (Reply 2):
Hi.
Thanks for the feedback. Excelent!
I already "found" (so to speak) using google earth street view mode some interesting places on the threshold of the 03R for afternoon approach shots, but to be honest I have some doubts concerning safety that's why the observation decks sound better.
Nevertheless I think I'll try some arrival shots in the afternoon + observation decks!

What date will you be there ?
''To fly as fast as thought you must begin by knowing that you have already arrived'' - Richard Bach

scbriml

Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:03 pm

Quoting mclaudio (Thread starter):
From the observation decks in JNB is it possible to make photos of aircrafts taking off or is the view to the runway obstructed?

Yes you can, but it depends which runway is in use! Nice for taxiing shots as well. You are shooting through windows though.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Steve Brimley
View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Brimley

View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Brimley
View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Brimley

View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Brimley
View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Brimley

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

mclaudio
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:52 am

Greetings!
First of all, many many thanks for the feedback.
Brilliant photos and info Steve. That's exactly what I was searching for. I enjoy ground references whenever possible and the angles seems quite nice for photography and to enjoy the views. No problem with glass in front. I've experienced that in Madrid and in Rio de Janeiro and photos turned ok. There is nothing that some cleaning towels can't solve  Once again many thanks for the feedback and precious help!

Quoting SAA738 (Reply 3):
What date will you be there ?

Hmmm...I have to say that after watching the world cup games and the beautiful light, the winter down there looks excellent and it gives me plenty of time to plan ahead all the details   
Once again, thak you very much